1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Workout (?)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by huehue, Jan 19, 2014.

1. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys.
    I practice sport regularly but I have put on a bit of weight (not much , I just don't have abs as I used to and stuff) .
    I never really worked out in a gym as the sports I practiced were enough for me to be "toned" , but an injury put me on the sidelines for a year and since then I haven't managed to get into shape again (I've got to say, I haven't really tried either).

Anyways, I've got absolutely no idea what to do.

I had a period last year where I would do 500 crunches before I went to bed, for like 1 month.
    I felt my abs were much stronger, but I still had a layer of "fat" which means you can't see them/I am not toned.

Any experts?

I'm just looking to get toned all over,not only my abs :slight_smile:

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be toned you need to have low body fat and constantly work a muscle.
    To return to your previous level of toneness (okay, I made that word up), keep doing cardio to burn fat and keep doing your ab workouts.

If you want to tone your other body parts (arms, calves, thighs), same thing. Low weight/high rep workouts. Cycling will tone your thighs and butt. Low weight/high rep curls will tone your arms.

3. SixesAndSevens

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm far from an expert but I'd say you need to do something to lose that layer of fat. I've heard it said before that you can do absolutely any amount of work on your abs but it won't show until you get rid of that layer. Something like jogging or running a certain distance each day should do the trick. I'm sure you'll get better answers from more experienced individuals however! EDIT: Indeed you have above!

4. TraceElement

I'm figuring that you are cleared by a medical professional to work out again.

Since others have talked about working out, I'll make a few pointers about diet. Make sure you are eating balenced meals. For breakfast, have a protien, fruit, and complex carb. For lunch and dinner, try to have about half your plate veggies, a quarter of the plate protien, and a quarter complex carbs. Have 2-3 snacks a day, pairing a protien with a carb, like a small apple with peanut butter or cottage cheese with grapes.

Eating a balenced diet keeps your body nourished and gives your muscles a healthy source of energy to burn.

5. huehue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cheers for the replies guys! I did lots of cycling last year and it didn't help my stomach at all :/ so I'm guessing running/good diet should do right?

With the diet,do you have any other examples? Thanks a lot, it's much appreciated.

6. Beantown

Beantown Guest

I usually just skip meals and end up doing only cardio at the gym and when I do eat it's normally like a salad but on my birthday I do let myself smell chocolate.

7. TraceElement

I have a few general points suggestions before going into specifics. For grains and starches, darker is better. Choose whole wheat instead of white pasta and brown rice instead of white. For salads, stick with romane, spinach andfield mix. They have a ton more nutrition than iceburg.

Breakfast suggestions:
    Turkey sausage, whole wheat english muffin, pear
    Egg, slice of whole wheat toast, small banana
    Low fat yogurt, mixed berries, granola
    Small whole wheat waffle, peach, cottage cheese

Lunch and dinner:
    Turkey meatloaf, corn, sweet potato
    Marinated chicken, spinach salad, baked sweet potato fries
    Home made chicken chili with extra veggies
    whole wheat Pasta with turkey meatballs, steamed broccoli
    Boca burger,sandwich thin, dippable veggies with 1-2 tablespoons low fat dressing
    Turkey tacos with lettuce, whole wheat shell, tomato, peppers, onion, salsa, low fat or fat free sour cream, sprinkle of cheese
    Baked fish, brown rice, cole slaw, green beans
    beans and greens soup

Here is a link for a magazine called Prevention that has some more diet ideas
    Diets Getting Started - Prevention.com

8. Lolly28

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One of the most effective exercises to lose body fat...especially abdominal fat, is if you do High intensity workouts (HIT), cross fit and kettle bell training.
    High intensity workout gets your HR up really quickly and it will increase the metabolism to burn fat even after a workout.... Plenty of sites to find workouts for HIT.
    Also if you do resistance training and weight training it will also help, the more muscle building you do the more calories you burn. I could go into the whole scientific background to all of this, but that would take a while.
    Remember eat plenty of protein and find something to keep you motivated.
    BTW wouldn't say I am a expert, but do have a qualification in gym instructing lol

9. Nick07

What about P90X workout? The videos on youtube look pretty good :slight_smile: