1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair straighteners

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Hopeful, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Hopeful

Hey, I've never been one to straighten my hair... I usually just shampoo and condition my hair and let it air dry. I've been using some argan oil in it while it's damp, and it makes my hair really nice. I usually put my hair in a pony tail or a braid/french braid or a quick bun. However, I've been wanting to attempt some different things and would like to try straightening it sometime. It's kind of wavy with some curly bits, but it's not CURLY and it's definitely not straight.

Anyone have recommendations? I'm going to order some stuff from Amazon soon and if I can find a decent straightener that's not going to cost me a ton, I'll add that to my list!

Also, any tips? I've had my hair straightened once by a twelve year old (maybe 13?) and that was a couple of years ago. I'm going to need advice! I don't want to dry my hair out a ton - which is why I hardly ever blow dry it - but sometimes it'll be fun to try it.

And one more thing: is it worth it to get a curling iron too? I don't think it's something I would do on a regular day, but maybe on the super special occasion? Anyone like them?

#1 Hopeful, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. i dont have long hair anymore but when i did i just used my straightners to curl instead of using a seprate thing.

id reccomend getting heat protecting spray so you dont fry your hair too much.
    tresseme was the one i used to use but i think you can probably get generic shop brand ones that do the same.

as for straightners i have ghds. well my mum does i just used to borrow hers. but cloud 9 do the same thing apparently and are even better. no idea how much they cost.
    i would look at the heat temp they go up to though i wouldnt get one that goes up too high.

3. Mysz

Ooh. Hair straightening can be tricky. Do you have thin or thick hair? Either way, I'd recommend getting some sort of heat protection spray or gel; you put it on before straightening, so your hair does not become too fragile and break, as well as get frizzy easier. Don't get a straightener too cheap, either.

I'm a fan of the kind with wider plates, and a dial or knob with with you can adjust the level of heat. You don't want to fry your poor hair :wink:
    When straightening, you want to make sure you get all of the hairs underneath. I've straightened my hair before and then looked in the mirror a couple of hours later to find wavy parts poking out from underneath the pin-straight top layer- pretty embarassing, haha. Had to keep it in a ponytail that night.

Curling irons are convenient, but again, you need heat protection, and it's healthier to just put in rollers or do the straw trick while your hair is still wet.

4. sharkpool

like the others have said, get a heat protectant. since your hair is not curly you could get a cheap one. the are straighteners that can be used to curl too :grin:

5. apostrophied

I have a Vidal Sassoon one that I got off Kijiji for 4 dollars. I use it about twice a year lol, no time for that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Get one with ceramic plates, it's better (can't remember why, but I think it might be less damaging).

As for curling irons, I never got the hang of those...

6. The_Poets

US/ Hogwarts/ vacations spent in the tardis
    instyler is great, it also curls

7. I have a her styler, but I'd get a royale (I think that's what it's called?) because it uses infrared so less damage. You can get them at any mall I think. Never get a straightener under $100 at least because it's just a waste of money. I'd definitely use heat protectant spray of some sort and do hair masks (facial for your hair) once a month to keep it healthy.