1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does having multiple partners increase your chances of getting an STI?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by AwkwardTalker, Jan 25, 2014.

1. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    From what I understand, multiple partners would only increase your chances of getting an STI but whatever I read seems to act as if not having one sexual partner will greatly increase the risk.

2. apostrophied

The question is, what do you read...?

Every sexual partner you have, you share fluids with, and you are at risk of contracting their STI. So if you had 5 partners, there's a good risk that you could be exposed multiple times to the same STI (thereby raising your chances of contracting it), or to multiple different STIs. Now, if these 5 people had 5 different partners each, that increases the risk exponentially.

There's a saying going around, it goes something like, "All the people your partner slept with, you slept with them, too."

More partners = more risk.

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely. You can't catch an infection (of any type) if you aren't exposed to the relevant infectious agent. As far as STIs, if you limit who you do it with, you will limit your risk.

4. AwkwardTalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Apostrophied, I read national health websites, national health brochures and health clinic websites. But what if you are practicing safe sex and therefore not sharing fluids unless there is kissing involved? And if they have proof they're clean?

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no such thing as "safe sex" only safer sex. Now, if you are using condoms and dental dams (as appropriate), then you do have a significantly lower risk than if you weren't using those, however your risk is still higher than if you didn't engage in those activities. None of the barriers are perfect, and may potentially be defective or break, that's the reason the risk is still higher.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh Yes it will specially if your not using protection when having sex . If you don't want STDs I suggest all of you get tested every month before having sex and also new partners you wanna have sex with .

7. apostrophied

Yeah, sure, but the whole "getting tested every month" isn't going to really protect you. Once you got it, you got it, no matter how early it was caught. I feel like the, "Oh but I get tested every month!" thing is just a rationalization for casual sex and I have a really hard time accepting it.

Awkwardtalker, if you could link to one of these documents that said that, I'd love to see it. I must say I am shocked.

And condoms and dental dams and all that jazz aren't 100%. It just takes one time where they ripped and bingo, you're infected... I think someone posted a thread about how he got infected with herpes on this forum. Read it and you'll see what I mean.

8. Gen

Gen

Frequent testing is encouraged is to allow infected individuals to be aware of their status when considering continuing their future romantic and sexual endeavors. Not to mention, the physiological effect of many STD's and STI's can definitely be minimized the earlier they are caught; whether they are curable or not. That is why health professionals advise frequent testing.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah but i prefer doing that than doing nothing. I'm a monogamous person so I don't like having more than one partner but with causal sex and other partners it gets more complicated Also do you remember the name of that thread I would to read it

10. apostrophied

Yes, of course I get that. But I still feel like frequent testing is used by many as a way to rationalize sexual practices which are extremely risky. Once you test positive, chances are that damage has already been done (or risked) to a partner, no matter how early you catch the infection.

@Stocking, it is called "herpes simplex 2"

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah you have a point there . thanks for the link:icon_bigg