1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Postural Syncope

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alex, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Alex

So basically, the last few months quite often if i went from lying down or sitting, to standing, i would get a sort of tunnel vision to my sight, feel very dizzy, and not really think clear for like 5 seconds.

My moms sister had the same, and she used to faint some times, my mom knows this but she say that it is nothing to worry about.
    Should i go see a doctor about it anyway?

2. KaraBulut

The other term is orthostatic hypotension. It's a normal phenomenon caused by gravity's effect on the cardiovascular system. When you shift positions quickly, blood shifts from your upper body to your lower body and this causes you to feel light-headed.

There are a number of things that can make it worse- dehydration, certain medications, certain endocrine disorders.

Because it's a normal finding in most people, there's not much that can be done to treat it unless there is a specific underlying cause. The next time you visit your doctor's office, you can ask them to take your blood pressure while lying down and again when you stand up to determine how much of a change there is. Your doctor can determine whether there is a need for additional testing.

3. Alex

ok thanks, will do that

4. sexyalex

see a doctor.

it could be dehydration or just a minor case of anemia but u really should contact a medical physition. Wouldn;t want u passing out any random places. :grin:

*omg who is that dude sleeping in the middle of the mall :O*

5. Gumtree

^^^ OMG we just hate each other tonight don't we!
    Can't be mild anaemia, too many other symptons which are a lot more noticable then this, and you would be experiencing this same phenonomen without having to go from sitting to standing etc.

This is really common and happens to almost everyone! As usual KaraBulut has all your answer's and i wont argue with her but i do have some suggestions!

When going from lying down to standing etc keep your head up straight and above your shoulders.

Sudden change in temperatures around u can cause the same effects, although normally not so severe as feinting!

When getting out of swimming pools or the ocean it is also common, be aware and do so slower as we are all aware of the dangers of water!

Answer to almost everything in life; drink more water.

When under the influence of alcohol or late at night (more specifically when feeling tired/drowsy already) it can be more common and/or servere.

Correct me if any of this is rather wrong Kara!

Good luck!

6. KaraBulut

The only correction is that Kara is a male. :roflmao:

7. SamAlex728

I thought it was called Vertigo :confused:

8. Gumtree

Hrmm odd how that happens, any medical condition i can blame that on by any chance?

9. KaraBulut

Vertigo can happen at the same time but it is a different symptom.

Vertigo is a problem with the brain's sense of balance and equilibrium. Vertigo is also known as a "headspin" or "dizziness" but it does not include near loss of consciousness or visual blackouts. You'll often hear people say that the "room is spinning" or that they feel like they are moving when they are actually standing still. Vertigo can also cause a person to become nauseous and throw up.

The brain, the eyes, the inner ear and nerve cells in the muscles work together to help keep us constantly aware of our sense of balance. When something goes wrong with this process- like an inner ear infection or being drunk- the person will often have difficulty remaining in a standing position or walking in a straight line. While it's interesting to watch, it's not pleasant for the person who has vertigo.

10. Alex

Was at doctor today because of an ear infection problem so i got her to measure blood pressure.
    She said it was a bit low, but not so it was dangerous, i just need to drink enough and stand up slowly.

11. KaraBulut

If you have an ear infection- that might be the cause of your symptoms. It will be interesting to see if it gets better once the ear infection clears.

12. Alex

No, its not, its because you know that stuff in the ear.. wax or something, got bigger because i was in the pool so much on vacation, should not have called it infection, but i didnt bother explaining before lol.
    Besides this have been happening for months, not just the last few days.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Ear wax? I have to get my ears syringed every couple of years due to wax build-up. It's not a big deal and, as you say, it's not an infection. It can affect your balance a bit if it gets bad, but I don't think it is anything to do with the dizzy problem.

It's good that you had your blood pressure checked though, and know the result of that. Follow the doctor's advice and see how things go over the next few weeks.

14. Beebo

Everybody I have ever known has had it happen to them. We call it a headrush here in toronto. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I really don't see any problem with it.