1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone tell me about the health benefits of switching to e-cigs/vaporizers

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by pace e amore, Jan 29, 2014.

1. pace e amore

I just quit smoking cigarettes due to my tobacco getting too dry so I thought this would be a great time to exclusively smoke my e-cig and stay away from tobacco. Of course I still enjoy a cigar about once a month.

2. apostrophied

There haven't been any studies done on them, as far as I know. We don't know the long-term side effects, although it is assumed that they are less serious than those of cigarettes because they don't contain smoke (but consider this: trans fats used to be considered a healthy alternative to saturated fats, so...). They are manufactured in China and we don't know what could really be in them (contaminants, etc), or the exact amounts of nicotine they deliver, etc.

They still introduce a psychoactive drug into your system, as well as keep up the habit/psychological addiction, so really, they aren't really solving the problem, I'm afraid...

3. josh9623

as apostrophied said the long term effects aren't well known, however from my research there are some benefits as well as some different risks. this is for the tank style, not the ones that come in a pack like blu.

Benefits:
    1. Propylene glycol acts as an expectorant.
    2. no tar.
    3. no smoke.

Risks:
    1. with higher dose solutions nicotine poisoning is VERY possible.
    2. some suppliers of solution have substituted ethylene glycol for the propylene glycol (outside of food/drug areas the two are usually interchangeable however Ethylene Glycol cannot be used in any application that it could directly or indirectly be ingested as it is toxic)
    3. Some people are allegic to Propylene Glycol and must switch to Vegetable glycerin (a safe alternative).

If you decide to go that route be careful with your supplier of solution. also i have heard that some of the cartridge types like blu have other chemicals in them which may be harmful.