1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

periods!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by flyinhernikes, Jan 31, 2014.

1. yeah gross i know haha. so if youre a guy look away :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

okay, so i have like the worst periods ever. i know its due to my low thyroid, and since being on meds for that a few years back they ahve got better but they still are barely just bearable! im nearly always 9 times out of 10 at work in agony for the first few days no matter how light the bleeding may be. i sweat with the pain, the feeling in my stomach is just something awful. i feel sick, cant eat much and just its the worst. ive put up with it and put up with it, but now im working its starting to affect my work and i cant ever go home sick becuase of bad period pains lol.

so i was thinking of going to the dr and getting either the patch or the pill. i know both can help with periods. so anyone who is on these for this reason, or even for birth control reasons insight/pros and cons YOU have found would be good.

i know its a personal thing and i think i might end up going with the patch but any advice would be appreciated if you suffer too. i cant be the only one surely!

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive had the same problems with my period. Right now I'm on the pill and I only have a period every three months, which is fine by me. I don't have any problems with it, aside from remembering to take it. I was on the depo shot but it made me gain quite a bit of weight, even though the doctors said I wouldn't. I was also really emotional/ sensitive when I was on it. I've never heard about the patch before, I would just be worried about having the same problems that I had while on the shot. Hope this helps.

3. apostrophied

I'm assuming that taking two Advils every 4-6 hours doesn't do much for you?

Sorry, that must suck, I hope you find some kind of solution to your problem... :frowning2:

4. JustKat

I have same issue. I was diagnosed with Premenstral Dysphoric Disorder.

5. justjade

I've gone through the same thing, but while I'm not on T (yet, or even in the foreseeable future), I don't have it anymore. I was on the pill, and it sucked. I got really moody after a few months. I've heard the shot is really convenient, but it can also make you put on weight if you're worried about that. I've seen different people have different results with that. Never had a patch or knew anyone who had one.

The best advice I can give is to just try stuff. There's the possibility of a greater underlying problem like a cysts, and the first thing they'll probably do for that is put you on some type of birth control anyway and see if it goes away on its own. Sometimes they do. But yeah, definitely go to a doctor.

I hope you can get to feeling better.

6. TraceElement

I suggest going on something. I am on the pill for polycystic ovaries, but had really bad cramps when I was younger and the pill definately helped with that too. Have you asked your doctor to write you a script for a high dose Motrin?

7. WalkingDino

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive had problems with my periods, I used to get pain that would keep me in bed for days, they were heavy and sometimes lasted months, the doctor put me on the depo and it sorted them out.

When I got the pains id put a hot water bottle on my stomach and if I had to go out id buy those heat patches that are for muscle aches and used those while I was out. I used to get the pains in my legs too, those were the worst for me so id walk around with scarfs tied around the tops of my legs, I wonder how stupid I looked

#7 WalkingDino, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was thinking of going on the pill to help my period I get heavy flows all the time and when I say heavy I mean heavy . I'm thinking about seeing a gyno so I can get some help but I'm worried about going on the pill because I don't want to get fat and one girl said she gained weight on birth control

9. KiddlesP

Here are some points from my endocrinology anatomy notes that I should be studying for (but procrastinating) related to medical pros/cons of birth control:

Oral Contraceptives Decrease the Risk of: Ovarian cancer, Endometrial cancer, Ovarian retention cysts, Ectopic pregnancy, Pelvic inflammation disease, and Benign great disease.

Oral Contraceptives Increase the Risk of: Benign liver tumours, Cholelithiasis, Hypertension, Heart attack, Stroke, Deep vein thrombosis, Pulmonary embolus.

In general there are "Huge" (The professor emphasized this in class) benefits to the use of contraceptives in relation to the risks (which are mostly limited to the cardiovascular system).

Basically contraceptives give your body a huge dose of Estrogen and Progesterone to to increase negative feedback mechanisms to decrease the levels of follicle stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone, basically making your body think you are in a pregnant state. I hope this counts as studying, I don't want to write this midterm on Tuesday. :frowning2:

Also why would you tell guys to look away because it's gross? Isn't that a little sexist?

---------- Post added 2nd Feb 2014 at 12:08 AM ----------

Sorry, just locked at my above post: "Benign great disease" is supposed to be "Benign breast disease".

10. sorry didnt mean any offence! i know guys have periods too, but its more of a female-ish thing. and i know a lot of guys are grossed out about it lol.

thanks for everyones contribution!
    as some have said some b/c makes you gain weight and im not too worried about any of that, if it helps with my periods. better things to worry about than that right now lol getting through my shifts at work in a tolerable state would be great lol you could paint me yellow and dress my up as a fairy and i wouldnt care, i want it at least a little better lol.

thankyou! deffo something to think about :slight_smile:

also @ stocking i think it may depend on your age e.t.c not one thing happens for all! :slight_smile:
    you could try it and if you dont like the weight you may gain then come off it. problem solved! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Seagypsy

"Guys have periods??!" haha! :roflmao:

I have always had painful periods so I totally sympathise.
    Actually, I have been wondering what happens when a girl u like asks u to sleep with her and you have got your period, it would be awkward!!

12. dont forget our ftm brothers. thats what i was trying to say..... they are the guys who have them. depending how far along in transitioning they are.

13. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

As a "guy" with a period, and a really bad one, the only thing keeping me away from the pill or injection is the health risks oh and the weight gain...trying to beef up requires having little body fat...

Just my two cents. Extra strength Midol and Pamprin are the pain meds i use, and they usually take the edge off (sometimes i need to take a dose and a half, not recommended).

14. WeWillOvercome

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a guy I should have heeded your advice and turned away, however to me it was like a train wreck and I just couldn't help myself. I have read all the posts thus far and all I can say is God bless your heart, womankind.

15. suninthesky

Thank you for thinking of us :slight_smile:

Periods are hell. I'd def check with your doctor.

16. My periods are painless and super light. It would be a blessing if I didn't get them every 9 days. Mother Nature screwed me over.