1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chemical peels?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by gentlegiant4, Jul 3, 2008.

1. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there EC. Well I used to struggle with acne, since about sixth grade but earlier this year I brought my lazy ass to the dermatologist and she prescribed Bactrim for me, and it literally cleared it up within 2 months. I'm still on it, but I'm really happy with it... 2 pills a day and general cleansing = no acne. It's bomb.

The problem, o' course, is my remaining acne scars. Honestly, this is the ONLY thing I'm self-conscious about. I could go to a funeral wearing a tutu, basically, and all I'd be thinking about is my scars.

My dermatologist recommended getting chemical peels, and to date she hasn't let me down. I have 3 concerns about it though.

1. Will it really work?
    2. Will I need to do this more than once?
    3. How long until improvement is necessary?

Thanks for any answers :grin:

2. Vampyrecat

I think it would depend on what kind of chemical peel you get. There would be more then one kind.

I'm actually considering getting one too...my skin is horribly scarred, and not just from acne. I had chickenpox really badly about 18 months ago, and it's left me with horrible white raised scars on my face, and several large raised lesions on my neck, shoulders and upper back.

And we were talking to a dermatologist and they said they'd rather wait until my skin settles down and I'm older, because they DO work, but there's no point getting one unless your skin has settled down a LOT and you're kinda at the end of your teens (or early twenties) so you can have healthy young skin replenish what is peeled off with the chemical peel

Depending on what type you get, you may or may not need another treatment. And it should take a couple of weeks for your skin to be properly "peeled and healed".

3. Gumtree

There is a product out there called BioOil that is designed for healing scars and stretchmarks.

It's actually really effective and works pretty quickly if used enough.

I don't know much about chemical peels but if you're looking for a probably easier and more natural alternative, and most likely cheaper, try giving BioOil a try.

The products works great on any splits, scars, stretchmarks, raw areas, burn marks and sunburn.

4. KaraBulut

There are several different options for peels- dermabrasion, laser, acids, phenol are a few of the options. Fortunately, the skin on the face is very resilient and responds very well to peeling agents.

A dermatologist is fine for doing a small area of your face or another area on your body. If you are doing a large area on your face, I would recommend having it done by a plastic surgeon who is board certified. Plastic surgeons are more aware of the cosmetic aspects and can recommend the correct peeling agent for your condition.

5. crossfire0159

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have an Estetician do my Salicylic Acid peels and it helps clear up acne or improve condition of my skin, but i don't know if it will help with scars.

You'd probably have to get more than one though.

I stopped doing my as soon as my face could tolerate the acid with no peeling.