1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How honest should I be with a doctor r.e my Mental Health ?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I am not going to lie I know I have a problem, I self harm and sometimes I feel like I want to die. The feelings just come and go, sometimes I am good, feel kinda energetic, sort of impulsive, being a sweet boyfriend, sort of like a big kid :slight_smile: however the next day I could be feeling awful about my sexuality not wanting to get up, on the brink of tears, not speaking to anyone, feeling like I want to hurt myself etc.

Last time I hurt myself my boyfriend saw the cuts and he has convinced me to go back to the doctors, last time I ended up in therapy but I wasn't that honest with the doctor (I never mentioned the suicidal ideas) but now I want to (since there is another person on the planet that cares for me). How honest should I be?

I am sort of worried if I admit to having suicidal thoughts and a desire to help myself she could admit to me to hospital, but is that even likely?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Put it this way, if you're not going to be honest about the full extent of the problem, why bother going at all?

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2014 at 04:18 PM ----------

For clarifications sake, I am saying BE COMPLETELY HONEST, not "don't go at all" !!

3. Yosia

I agree with ElliaOtaku, if you are not going to say everything, how can they help you properly?
    Just be honest, they wont force you to do anything anyway ^^

4. Richie.

Nothing to be ashamed of! Tell the team looking after the truth, by being completely open and feeling no judgement... You shall come to terms with whatever is causing the self harm etc...

Big hugs!

5. setnyx

be totally honest. they may put you in a hospital but that will help them get you proper medicine.

6. TraceElement

Be completely honest! As someone who has gone through a situation similar to yours, being honest with my medical team got me the help I so desparately needed. It was hard, but I really don't think I would be here today if I wasn't. When I had the initial visit with my doctor about cutting, she let me go home, as long as I promised to call her or call a hotline if I wanted to do more harm to myself.

Don't forget that we at EC care about you. You are not alone, and it gets better.I am here if you want to talk :slight_smile:

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your doctor is in anyway a professional then be as open as you possibly can. Anything you tell them can help you help yourself.

8. Beware Of You

But that terrifies me, I hate hospitals always have since I was 5

9. Claudette

Claudette Guest

used to be "suicidal" before I accepted that I am a woman inside... instead of chucking pills, or put me away, my therapist told me, to get a puppy! everyone loves puppies!
    his logic was sound! "you won't want to be suicidal if you have an animal that you love, that needs you, every time you think about suicide, you'll think about your puppy, who take care of it, who will train it, puppies bond quick, try it out"
    so I did, and it helped... i'm not saying this may help you, I'm just saying therapists have alot of cards up their sleeves aside from hospital and pills ^^ you never know!

10. Mogget

I don't know how Irish law treats involuntary hospitalization, but in the US you have to be in imminent danger of seriously hurting yourself or others. In general, hospitals prefer people to be there voluntarily so that they can provide effective treatment.

11. Beware Of You

I guess they could try to convince me to go in voluntarily but it would be scary