1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gym injury

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by hatiko, Feb 3, 2014.

1. hatiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was doing reverse lunges in a gym yesterday, and when I put my leg behind and sit on the other leg, I got a strike of pain in the joint between the pelvis and femur, and a weird feeling that something teared there. I almost heard a tearing sound. I had to stop workout that moment. It now hurts for me to lift my leg. I thought it could be hernia or something, but doesn't look like it.

Anybody knows what this could be? :rolle:

2. Klutz

If your hips are really tight, you could pull a muscle there. When you do that motion, your quad is stretching and the beginning of that muscle is in your hip. Stretch it (hip flexors are good) and ice it for a few days. The add heat.

I know this because I strained my quad the other day doing the same thing. >.<

3. hatiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Klutz! I thought I did enough stretching but who knows. It feels better today; hopefully in a few days it will go away!

4. chadpeterson

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The human hip is relatively complex.

First do the Couch Stretch, but only if it doesn't exacerbate the condition. Listen to your body and NEVER move into the pain.

Then, the immediate cause is most likely a muscle. A band-aid solution is to jab a tennis/lacrosse ball into your glute and roll around: put the ball on the ground and sit on it; lift the leg of the side that's hurt and support it by the opposite knee--play with your leverage and roll around looking for the nasty bits. Start easy then increase the pressure. Don't rush it.

Here's an example:

[​IMG]

At 28, your body shouldn't be so fragile, so you were either:

A) doing too much weight,
    B) being inattentive to your form,
    C) have been neglecting mobility and stability training for a long time,
    or
    D) any combination of the above,

If I were to speculate, I would say it's (C) more than the others. Joints and muscles get rusty and knotted up over time and with use, and just like flossing your teeth, you must 'floss' your joints and muscles if you want to keep them in good shape.

Start from your Thorax and neck, make sure you have proper range of motion, if not, mobilize accordingly; move down to your Lumbar and Core (especially your Psoas), loosen 'em up real good. Then skip down to your feet and use something like a dough rolling pin to roll your Metatarsals and heels, move up to your Achilles tendons and your Calves, then use a tennis ball/lacrosse ball/foam roller and roll the bejeezus out of your hamies, quads and IT band--the closer you get to source of pain, the more immediate the relief should be. And like cutting a steak, you need to roll against the grain, for example, don't roll your IT band up and down, rather go side to side, google for effective technique. And then spend a lot of time rolling/stretching your hip flexors and your glutes.

Also, do yoga or follow some kind of comprehensive flexibility routine.

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2014 at 04:04 PM ----------

Or you can take an Advil and enjoy early retirement :slight_smile:

5. hatiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice info, man. I like when it's broken down to details.

Here is an interesting thing. At 28, I am proud of my shape and my level of flexibility. I was terminally ill and received a kidney transplant at 21, and believe me, 90% of people with this end up obese and retiring.

However, my hidden disease and loads of medications that I am taking every day probably did make me this fragile. I do some stretching before every workout, but usually less than 5 minutes. And my legs are usually pretty flexible; I can do lotus pose and almost can do front splits which is not trivial. I probably won't recover completely by this weekend (which I hoped so much for), but let me take a closer look at your advice and maybe it will help:icon_wink

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2014 at 09:43 PM ----------

... for my quadriceps and rectus femoris, I usually kneel and lean back with my knees on the floor, that should be more than enough, I guess.