1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia - the beast that keeps me awake

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by duende84, Feb 4, 2014.

1. duende84

I write this post on a Wednesday morning, 04:34... after going 20 hours without sleep.

For the past 5, 6, 7 (?) years I have been suffering from insomnia. It has reached a stage where I refer to the condition as a being that appears at night when it is time for bed, who keeps on whispering in my ear, making my thoughts churn and thus keeping me awake until I fall asleep from sheer exhaustion.

Luckly I work for myself so I do not have to get up early tomorrow morning but I know tomorrow I will be in a zombie-state. The side-effect of insomnia for me.

I do sometimes take a sleeping pill but a night like tonight it did not seem nessesary. Now it is too late.

I suck at counting sheep and doing those breathing techniques.

One thing that has me going at the moment is I had a slight panic attack on Monday and I still feel the repercussions of it. My body is so tensed up and my mind is churning like a whirlpool because of my career, personal demons, issues at home and then all this coming out business. Oh and being dumped on Sunday afternoon. (okay I must confess it feels like I am going on about this being dumped situation way to much and if anybody feels I am overdoing it please come and kick me in the nuts - its just that this guy seemed so amazing and great - c'est la vie).

I am going to try and sleep now, quarter before 5. The house usually starts coming alive at 6 so I am screwed anyway.

I did try and write that all important coming out letter to my parents earlier biut for some reason the computer froze up on me 3 times. I took that as a sign and decided to put that task aside.

:icon_sad: :tears:

2. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Insomnia sucks... No diggity, no doubt

3. Sorceress of Az

I can't feel sleepy,
    I might have a melotonine defeciency of some kind because I really can't fall asleep unless I pass out or ffiant from exhaustion.
    I've been getting an hour or less sleep a day. Its horrible.

Every one keeps thinking I'm stressed but I don't feel I am, I am sure its the lack of sleep,
    I am also unable to gain weight no matter how much I eat.

Not getting sleep sucks I pray we all can get more sleep.

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've traditionally been a pretty good sleeper, but for the past month or so since I've really wanted to come out I've had a really tough time falling asleep. I'm fine for most of the day but I start thinking way too much when I'm lying in bed.

5. Mysz

I don't have any medical condition, but I had insomnia in the beginning of my first semester of college. Thinking about all of my difficult classes and everyone already had their own groups was bad enough, but college nights are generally noisy.
    What helped me was going for really late runs. I would do maybe 3, then went to 4-5 miles; finishing the run around midnight. My campus is quite safe, though, and I don't know how comfortable you are with the area you live in. Still, you can try indoor exercises or jumping rope in your room (and it might sound a little gross but sometimes I just didn't shower after the run and just fell into bed). So your muscles are all tired, and you just feel so good lying down that you fall asleep. Instead of thinking of my classes, my run was fresh in my head.
    It's not medicine or anything, but it might be worth a try. Insomnia is horrible :frowning2:

6. TraceElement

Have you tried listening to white noise or something similar? If I have a hard time falling asleep because of stuff in my head, I'll turn it on and it helps quiet my mind a little.

7. duende84

I slept for maybe like an hour this morning around 6. And then my ex bloody called me up! Now my whole day is in total shambles! My ex-ex... I feel like a tonne of crap! :frowning2: Gosh I need a hug.

8. Mysz

(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)(*hug*)
    Is it possible for you to shut off your phone or lower the ringtone volume for when you want to sleep?

9. duende84

Thank you (*hug*)

I shut off both my phones when I go to bed. Been drunk-dailled too many times in the past. Also, I dont have any other electronic devices in my room. Just sometimes the electric fan thats whirrring quietly (its a vintage 1972 Toshiba desk fan that I got from a good friend, built like a tank and runs whisper quiet and I adore its "hipster" look :icon_redf).

I also sleep with curtains drawn and all light shut out.

Just my mind that races. But tonight I went for a brisk walk/jog and feel a bit tired out. Also have a good conversation with a friend and it calmed me down.

Thank you all for your concerns. (&&&)