1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every time I give blood I feel bad for at least a day or two days

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by phoenix89, Feb 4, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As the title states, Every time that I give blood I bad for at least a day or two. The first time I donated was around 7 years ago and it was an interesting experience since the needle kept falling out of my arm. I was not surprised by the fact that bad that time. The next couple of times I was tired but nothing bad, I denied a lot though, but around 2 years after the first time I donated I got really sick, pass out sick. I spent two hours on the "pass-out table". I then went 5 years without donating again, I tried two more times before taking my break, but I got denied both times. I then went 4 years without even attempting to donate again, until last semester.

Last fall, was the first time I donated since my freshmen year of undergrad, and I donated whole blood twice that semester. The first time I donated, I managed to scare a fair amount of people, especially one of my RAs. I was liquid white, I look like I saw a ghost. And it took about another day entirely for me to gain my color back. I also felt rather weak, tired, and a decent size bruise on my arm. I had a similar experience the second time I donated, but I did not feel as bad, and there was no bruise, but it still took a day for me to get my color back. The thing is, when I donate, I am fine for the first 30 minutes to an hour, but after that I start to feel sick.

I then, from not learning my lesson, I gave blood yet again today. However, instead of giving the simple 1 pint of how blood, I gave what is called Double Red Cell donation. This takes twice as long as a normal donation. They took two pints of blood, which they kept the Red Blood Cells and separated and returned my Plasma, with some saline. So in total there was an entire pint of Red Blood and an entire pint of Plasma, but I got my plasma back. I got tired and chilly while I still donating, but the nurse said that, that was normal, at least the tired part. Especially considering the entire process, including paperwork, getting the machine set-up and the actual donation part took 2 hours 2-4PM. However, with the cold part, it was hard to tell if I was chilly or it was just from the room being cool, which it was. After I donated, I got snacks, and went and ate dinner about 30 minutes later, and I still felt sick and I was still freezing, and it until about a couple hours ago, around 10/11PM before I got my color back. At least with this donation I cannot give again until May, because it is a four month wait, instead of two with whole blood.

I want to keep donating blood, but I just hate feeling this sick every single time I donate. Any one have any advise.:help:

2. Thedistra

I don't know about the rest but I do know that saline does make you feel cold. They use a saline solution for dehydration. Though it feels rather nice after being dehydrated.

You could try a plasma donation instead, it may have less impact on you than the others.

I'm sure someone else will come along with better advice than mine :slight_smile:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some people for whom giving blood is simply too much stress on their body, and perhaps you might be pushing your body a bit too hard.

Have you talked with your physician about this? That's the route I'd take. I am also fairly certain that our former medical expert, KaraBulut, spoke on this issue a couple of times in the past. You might try searching our archive on "blood donation" to see if you can find any of his posts on the subject.

4. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think personally that donating blood might not be for you. Although the reason you feel terrible after is because it takes plenty of time to regenerate blood before afterwards. For a few days especially after the blood donation there can be NO heavy lifting of any kind as that increases blood pressure that you wont be able to maintain, leading to you feeling like s***.

Also, when you have a lower volume of red cells it can cause you to become cold, most important thing there is to keep warm and you should start to feel better quicker. And don't forget to tell a family member or friend that you are feeling unwell after donation. It might sound pointless but I've heard stories of people fainting hours after donating, even I myself passed out once around 4 hours after giving blood and ended up in a hospital, better safe than sorry.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that for some people donating blood can be too much of a strain on their bodies, or it can make them woozy for a few days. Maybe you could donate plasma like what was said earlier?

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That makes a lot of sense I very well might be pushing myself too hard. Even now, the next day I still do not even feel close to 100%. The thing with talking to my physician is that I have not been there for 7 years because I do not have any health insurance. I have just been playing everything by ear and hoping and praying that I do not get sick. Its a risky lifestyle, but I cannot afford insurance, and Obamacare was no help either. The plan they offered would have costed me more than I made last year. Which wasn't much, but you see the point.

I will look through the archives for blood donation.

To the others that have suggested Plasma, I will have to think about that. They normally do not have plasma drives on campus, but considering I cannot donate again until May, I have time to think.

---------- Post added 5th Feb 2014 at 11:27 AM ----------

I tell my roommate when I give blood. Well it is more like he notices because I come in the room looking like I just saw a ghost, and I collapse on my bed. There is always at least one person that knows though.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not just simply avoid giving blood (or plasma) until you have health insurance and can get regular health care? It's wonderful that you want to give, but I seriously doubt the Red Cross or whomever your donating to would want you to give blood if they knew that it debilitates you for a day or two afterwards and that you have no healthcare.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I give with LifeShare, I found them easier to deal with then the Red Cross. Waiting does sound like a good idea at this point, doesn't hurt matters that I have a four month defer because of the type of donation I gave. It will probably be at least another year before I get health insurance, but oh well, there is nothing that I can do about that. Yea, I do not think they would be very pleased with me if they knew how bad it makes me feel.

9. KiddlesP

I get chilly as well when I give plasma, since they have to centrifuge it and give it back to you, they have to put in anti coagulant factors, which often do make people feel cold. It also removes some calcium so that is why it is recommended you have a TUMS before and after.

10. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never heard the tums thing before, I might have to try that. I currently feel sick to my stomach, with a coming and going nauseous feeling. I am absolutely freezing, and I would be shivering if it wasn't for my roommate's electric blanket. I also have a headache and it has been a struggle to get my thoughts to come out right, because my brain feels foggy. And I can't keep any color in my face.

I am never going to give a double after this, because no good deed goes unpunished.

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay I no longer feel like I am going to die! Yesterday was horrible, I was so cold, and I could not keep me temperature up. At one point got as low as 95.4F or 35.2C. I also felt nauseous for most of the day.

12. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could have mild anemia, which is exacerbated when your blood volume drops following a donation. I'd get bloodwork done before donating again, as only mild (if any) tiredness and difficulty exercising the following day are considered regular side-effects.

13. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Kudos to you for donating blood! But if it's harming you, you might need to stop. There's other ways to help.

14. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people simply shouldn't give blood. The first time I tried (and only time I successfully gave) I nearly passed out. After that I tried several more times, and could only fill about half the bag before it stopped coming out. Each of these times I spent time on the recovery table. I know it feels good to help others, but if it's taking that much of a toll on you, it's not good.