1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just flossed my teeth, resulted in blood - is oral safe now?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thisisfate, Feb 7, 2014.

1. thisisfate

I'm going out in about an hour, might have some action. Would it be safe?

2. setnyx

i wouldn't recommend it.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely wouldn't. Disease can get in through open wounds. It's not worth the risk.

It's past the time of your going out, but I hope you chose not to take the risk.

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

If you or the other person has a disease, then no, I wouldn't risk it.

But bleeding from gums after flossing is fairly common, it tends to happen to people who only floss infrequently, whereas people who floss every day seem to get used to it. But I don't floss, even though I have an electric flosser, exactly because of the problem with bleeding and irritating my gums every time I flossed.

I switched to using a water flosser (also known as a mouth irrigator or water pick), Waterpik is the main brand though the one I have is made by Panasonic. Basically it shoots out a narrow stream of water than you can use to clean in between your teeth and along your gum line. It's not a perfect replacement for flossing, but it seems to accomplish the job of cleaning out whatever is stuck in between your teeth. And since it's just a stream of water rather than a hard piece of string that hits into your gums, it doesn't make them bleed. (You can even put antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine into the water pick to give you a stream of cleansing mouthwash in between your teeth and along your gumline.) So if bleeding from flossing is a frequent problem, I would suggest maybe giving a water flosser a try.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The general rule of thumb as far as safety for oral sex is 2 to 3 hours after brushing/flossing. The risk of transmission of STIs via oral sex is significantly increased if you have brushed and flossed and had bleeding gums.

If your gums are healthy, they don't bleed after flossing. The bleeding is a sign of gingivitis (gum inflammation) which is pretty common, but not at all good for you... but pretty easy to fix. It's something you should definitely talk to your dentist about.

6. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nooooooooo

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Not necessarily. I HAD gingivitis for real last year, my gums were clearly inflamed and they would bleed every time just from brushing my teeth, I was scared I was going to end up with periodontitis and end up losing teeh. I completely transformed my oral hygiene routine, first I eliminated the sources of my gum decay, then I began brushing after every meal, began rinsing with Crest clinical antigingitivitis rinse, began using the water flosser every day, went to the dentist and got an antibiotic injection. Gingitivis is definitely something you notice, the inflammation and the excessive bleeding are definitely noticeable.

My gums previously were and currently are entirely healthy, I got a compliment from the dentist at my last visit last month telling me what a good job I've been doing. But my gums did and still do bleed when flossing, some of us just have sensitive gums that's can't handle being hit by a hard piece of floss. It's hard to get the floss in between my teeth without forcing it, and then it hits my gums and they bleed. So I think some of us just have naturally sensitive gums that don't respond well flossing, resulting in bleeding. Which is why I recommend a water flosser as the next best thing if you don't like making your gums bleed.

8. Jessica79

Same as what everyone else said but I also recommend seeing a dentist maybe there might be a reason for your bleeding gums :I

9. thisisfate

Thanks for the replies. I didn't do anything in the end.

My gums usually don't bleed when I floss, but they do bleed when I brush my teeth every now and then, I rinse with water and salt and it usually goes away in 2 days or so. If there's some bleeding after brushing my teeth, does that make oral sex unsafe? That happens quite often.