1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian views on virginity

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fallingdown7, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Hello, I've seen a few threads talking about virginity and if a loss of it counts between women or not, so I thought I'd make a new thread about it.

Most people that know me also know that I'm a huge anti-virginity activist. The concept wrecked my psyche for a long time and caused me to suffer from internalized homophobia for over 5 years. I accepted my sexuality when I came out, but I shot straight back into the closet when I felt invalidated by the term. It even caused me to lash out with hate at the straight community for a long time while I was insecure of myself. Luckily I don't do that anymore, but that was a really confusing time period for sure.

I personally find it to be ignorant either way because it completely belittles anyone who isn't both hetero and cis and it also oppresses rape survivors/adds to rape culture/victim blaming.

It was very confusing for me when I learned from my mom that I was born without a hymen since I grew up with the "popping the cherry" mindset that changes your virginal status. After I put all of these pieces together, I really started to feel that the whole thing was pretty bullshit either way.

So what do other lesbians (Or even bi women who's first time was a woman) think? Have you faced any sexism and discrimination because of this concept? Are you okay with the technical definition, do you redefine it to include your own experiences, or do you simply reject the term all together for the outdated misogynistic concept it is?

2. Skov

I'm not a woman, but I find the concept of virginity to be, like you said, an outdated concept. The thinking that something is "lost" when someone chooses to be sexual with another person is backwards.

3. Mysz

Whenever I hear the word 'virginity' I first think of extra virgin olive oil, since I like to cook.
    As to it pertaining to sex, I don't really get it at all. Like Skov said, you're not losing anything.

4. Molly1977

Ive only ever "had sex" by myself using a vibrator, does that make me a virgin or not? More importantly does it matter? :slight_smile:

5. DrkRayne

Um...I think people can lose their virginity. Its when you have your first sexual experience with another person. I dont think it matters, but yeah it happens.
    I had sex with my partner at 22 and that was when I lost my virginity. Didn't matter whether my hymen was popped or not. it was my first sexual experience. :slight_smile:

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yes, I agree with this. I do find the first sexual experience to be a huge milestone no matter what sexual activity you do, so I think It's cool that more and more queer women are redefining it for themselves. I just have a hard time identifying with the term since I find It's so hetero-dominated and patriarchal a lot of the time which is why I was curious how other people viewed it.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest the word has lost all meaning...

At this point in time it almost wouldn't matter what I did with anyone, a lot of people would still say I'm a virgin. I won't penetrate another girl, I just won't, and I keep hearing the words "anal virginity" which is apparently a whole NEW thing...it seems some people don't think it counts if it didn't use a primary sex organ.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For me it's when another woman eats out another woman or fingers another woman
    I always wanted to lose my virginity to another woman and when I heard some one say it did not count even though at the time I was identifying as straight it made me sad .
    I never wanted my first time to be with a guy . I think the concept of virginity with the whole only a man can take it away is stupid .
    When I was a little girl I was very sexual at a young age with other girls and they rubbed my kitty and I rubbed theirs and we kissed and stuff and dry humped , we never ate each other out or fingered each other because we didn't know we could do that at the time .but if we did we probably would have tried it . But my question is am I not a virgin anymore because I did sexual stuff with other girls in the past ?
    I feel bad about my past a little because I was pretty sexual with few of my female friends .

#8 stocking, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally agree with this. My first sexual experience was a learning experience, and not a loss at all.

10. BelleFromHell

Anything involving consenting adults who are butt-naked (or at least partically naked) and touching eachother in a sexual way is sex to me.

11. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm still a virgin, but I'd like to offer my input on the subject. I was raised in the church, and willingly (with only slight force) attended 5 "purity" lectures between the ages of 11-14, along with my pastor emitting continuos damnations of sexual thoughts/actions outside of marriage. It was shoved down my throat that virginity was a prize, and once a woman lost hers, she could never get it back. Once at one of the "purity" lectures, a skit was performed in which a girl started out with a rapped "gift" and each guy came and took a piece of her "gift" she could never get back, and at the end she was ripped and broken, and only god could save her. This mentality haunted me for a while, and ocassionally still does. I have found some moral peace in accepting the truth that I am not broken, do not need fixing, and deserve love. I am still extremely prude due to my upbringing and perfectionism and self-will, but I know that my fist time will be with a girl, and that I will not want it to be a one-night stand. Although I understand that virginity is insignificant, I am not fond of risks and heart-break, so I see myself waiting until I am in a committed relationship with a woman. Virignity is not a bad thing, as having sex when you are not ready is unacceptable, but that does not make it a good thing either. It is only a concept. Interpret its significance how you wish.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Oh, I do agree with you. I'm not at all saying the first time is insignificant. I'm more so against virginity for the 'penis-in-vagina' definition, not for how special or sacred society views it (unless it goes too far).

Actually, I'm one of those people who always wanted to wait for someone special and viewed my body for a gift for them, but I grew up with straight friends and family devaluing me and telling me It'll never count until It's with a man. That's what damaged me because I viewed my first time as special as they viewed theirs.

One of my old lesbian friends slept with another girl before she was raped by a man, and our straight friends didn't accept her as a non-virgin until after her rape. It's always been an icky situation on my mind how she was treated like that.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with you I want to be in a committed relationship with a woman as well when I start having sex with other women .

14. fortheloveoflez

I really don't like the "virginity" concept. But then again, you already know that haha

15. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When u O with another girl... If u like penetration, then after that... Her fingers inside of your vagina...

16. gracymay

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know why, but I don't think virginity cannot be lost unless you have straight penetrative sex. Guess I'm gonna be a virgin forever haha.

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

And why is that?

What if a man were to sexually assault you in the future? Would you hold your rapist being more important than all of your previous female partners based on the fact he just has a penis?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be insulting, but I don't understand this logic at all.

#17 Fallingdown7, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
  18. Stay Loose

Well, queer relationships kinda highlight how arbitrary of a standard "virginity" is, you know? While a lot of straight people are comfortable defining "sex" as only the act when a penis goes into a vagina, for couples that don't have that duality (or are maybe not comfortable using those parts), it doesn't really make sense as a definition.

And even for straight people, does a penis in a butt "count" as sex? What if the girl gets off? What about oral, fingering, etc? What about if you use toys? Etc.

Basically, my stance is this: if you are touching another person intimately enough that you think it counts as sex, it does. If for one person that means playing with their partner's nipples, and for another person it requires magical mind-blowing simultaneous orgasm, that's okay. We're all different people, and it's okay to have different personal definitions of what "sex" means to you. .

19. itsonlyrelative

I'm a senior in high school and virginity is talked about everywhere. People are constantly trying to determine what "counts" as "losing it" and what doesn't because it has become such a huge thing that like you said is very limiting to the heterosexual cis-gendered community. Personally, I believe that the hymen-popping theory of virginity had a place back in ancient times solely paternity, but now it is not wide enough for modern culture. You should be able to define as your virginity and the weight that it has on you.

20. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree with you. Even if I were straight, I would still find the penis-in-vagina definition to be arbitrary really, considering other sex acts still have STD's. How could you trust that someone is sexually clean just by hearing "I'm a virgin"? I couldn't.

And for lesbian relationships the term is even more useless. I still see a huge difference between experienced vs inexperienced in the lesbian community, so we have to have a way to differentiate between the two.