1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pads & Tampons (Men beware!)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ccdd, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Sorry to gross anyone out but...

I was wondering whether people preferred to use tampons or pads? And if anyone had any problems using tampons? I still find it difficult to get the absorbency right with tampons because my flow varies so much from very light to extremely heavy over the duration of my period. Also, has anyone ever experienced putting in a tampon seeming to stop/slow the flow or make you feel dry (or am I imagining this? It happens only very occasionally).

Sorry if this is an innappropriate topic but I want to transfer more to tampons (I use pads mostly but don't like being "confronted with the fact") but say, on one day I might use an ordinary absorbency and it needs changing within an hour and a half, and I end up having to use super ones because so heavy, but then 12 hours later, a low absorbency tampon will still not need changing after 5 hours. It means that I have to carry around several tampons of three different absorbencies because I'm not sure which I'll need, whereas with pads it doesn't matter so much, I can usually just carry a couple around... even now I'm either leaking through tampons or they're too absorbent! Does anyone else have this problem? And what do you do about it?

Also, has anyone here used moon cups? I find the idea gross, but then I'm wondering whether they actually are gross in real life - I mean, it's not like I haven't seen it all before... I don't like the idea of how much waste pads and tampons produce (plus they're expensive), but the idea of taking out and washing a cup thingy sounds, well, inconvenient (I mean, in a public loo what do you do?) and perhaps rather messy etc?

OK these are vague questions but I was just wondering what people thought...any advice or personal observations would be welcome! And sorry if an innappropriate or gross topic!

Thanks!

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OMG, I've never heard of moon cups. I'm going to have to do some research on that but I don't think I'd like them. Seems kind of gross.

I use tampons with plastic applicators. I know, worse for the environment but I have always had trouble with the cardboard applicators. The first couple of days I have to wear pads too because I've usually got some pretty heavy flow going on. (pre-menopausal symptoms, I've heard) After that, its tampons and a pantyliner. I've always had trouble with leakage if I just use pads alone plus they make me feel yucky.

So with that said....bring on menopause. I'm so tired of having migraines everyday!

3. Helen

Helen Guest

I get incredibly cranky just before my period, it's quite annoying actually. I terrify all those around me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I use tampons with cardboard applicators when swimming, and pads normally, I don't like just using tampons on their own. I've never had any of the problems you've mentioned, ccdd, my flow is generally quite light, so I can keep mine in for quite a while. I hate using pads though, they make me itch :/

I'm just a bit of a baby about tampons, and only use them when I have to, because I once experienced the agony of...er..jabbing it in the wrong place XD (don't ask me how I did that, because I don't know.)

4. sexyalex

Have u ever thought of changing brands? :slight_smile:

My cousin had that same problem but she switched to "Always" and got better results. As far as sanitary napkins go, some of the leading brands, the stuff they put in there for fragrance and preservative can cause irritation on sensitive skins. `She was using Stayfree before.:confused:

nevertheless thus tampons maybe more comfortable for women who are active, they affect every 1/10 woman who uses them. It can cause cervical cancer cuz of the material used (not all of them though) but the absorbant material used is made up of a bleach material(dioxin) and unlike the pads that is on the outside of the body, the tampons that are inserted into u can possibly case a tranfer of bacterium that has been on the tampon from manufactrer (it's possible lets face it ladies):dry:

anyways, when all that's done, ever heard of TSS? Toxic Shock Syndrome? well it's one of the disadvantages that can be caused by the use of tanpons plus tampons can cause womb and vaginal infectionss too.:dry:

don't PLEASE don't ask how i know these stuff cuz my best friend actually started assuming i was using them (roomers about gays who do anal sex use pads:dry:slight_smile: but i know cuz my mom lecture me about these stuff for some odd reason:eusa_eh:

so see, seee it's not entierly my fault i am gay!:lol:

5. i use a moon cup, they are really easy to use, they are just a small latex cylinder type thing that basically catches your flow. they aren't good for going swimming in but for just about everything they are great, and cheaper in the long run, and better for the environment and the TSS risk is very low =]

6. ccdd

ccdd Guest

That's cool - I've always thought they sound a bit gross, like the fact that you have to clean them out, but then, it's not like I haven't already seen gross, and it's all natural, so I've been wondering about them. - mainly for reasons of cost and the environment.

How easy are they to insert (say, compared to tampons)? How many do you need? Like, one or two? How do you clean it out (toilets that I use when I'm out don't have a sink in them, so what would you do? Would cleaning it out with toilet paper be ok and then cleaning it properly later?). What's the liklihood of leakage? And how long can you keep one in for? And is it actually gross, or actually in reality no more gross than what you deal with with tampons and pads?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm just wondering! I used to be entirely grossed out by the idea, but recently I've begun disliking how many disposable sanitary products I get through environment-wise. Also because of the problems I have with having a vastly different flow on different days, which means that if I'm using tampons (which I would prefer) I have to always carry around different sorts with me, and often don't get it right, leading to very frequent changing or using too high an absorbency. So I end up using pads by default. I suppose I could just try and learn more properly the different stages of my flow - I mean, it's not difficult - it just really annoys me when I get it wrong.

Becky, I'd never actually considered wearing panty liners with tampons before - that's quite a good idea actually.

It's very odd, because for years I've been set in my ways (including regarding brands! I'm very brand loyal for some reason! Don't like to experiment...), but lately I've been getting concerned, and have been wondering about it.

But thanks for the replies!

#6 ccdd, Jul 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I use towels (or pads =]) and non-applicator tampons. Occasionally I find that a tampon leaks before I notice and that's so annoying, so I don't use them as much as I would otherwise. I have occasionally felt a slight dry feeling if I put one in and it was too absorbent, but it may have been paranoia. Also, I hate the fact that you have to wait to be sure it's starting before putting one in, rather than just sticking a towel in on the day when it should be. I do try to use tampons when I can because they just make you forget you're even on your period, but because of those drawbacks I still use towels mostly.

I've never tried a moon cup but they sound very useful, I always thought I'd like to try one. I don't really find it that gross, I'm used to the blood by now. I'd also be interested in the questions ccdd has asked, like how often you have to clean it etc. I heard you can get types that stay in for the whole period?! Is that true?

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Did you know they make panty liners to wear with thongs? My daughter uses those!

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Really?? I didn't know that...not that I actually where thongs...but the idea of non-noticeability etc is good... Although it would be good to be able to only wear a tampon.

I think I'm a like you Psychadelic Bookmarks, in that I'd like to use tampons more, but because of occasional leakage, and the opposite, occasional dryness, I use pads/towels most of the time, except on days when I'm sure of my flow, because I worry less. I also dislike the way you can't put a tampon in before your period, and that you can only do this with pads. Presumably you could put a moon cup in beforehand?? I don't know if this happens to you, but I hate wasting sanitary towels whilst I'm anticipating my period, and not even on it yet.

I'm thinking I might buy a moon cup and try it out - that way at least I know whether it's suited to me or not. But I remember my transition from towels to tampons (I wore only towels until a few years ago when I started to mix the two) being stressful initially, because you're working out how to use them etc - but I suppose if you have a day when you're lazing about when you're not going to have any embarrassing emergencies it can't hurt trying a new thing? I think they cost about £20 in the UK.

I think the main advantages, as well as helping the environment, are not having to carry protection around with you (although I think I still would, just in case), and not having to dispose of waste in a bin (ie trash can - do Americans use the word "bin"?) - this can actually be difficult and tricky sometimes, such as if you're staying at someone's house and they have no bin in the bathroom or whatever (I hate it when that happens.). Yes, definately, not having to dispose of waste, or to have to worry about disposing of it, would be advantageous I think.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who sometimes has trouble with tampons, and knowing when to change them and which absorbency to use. I thought it was just me being dense!

10. Vampyrecat

no it's not just you.
    I actually had to go on the pill to help regulate mine. Because I kept getting sick my cycle kept getting disrupted...so I'd be sick and have a 3 month gap and then I'd have only a 3 week gap and then a 5 week gap and it was really annoying!
    Also, I hate pads. I really do. They make me feel really yuck and I've found that I think I must be allergic to the fragrance they put in them (to cover up the smell I presume?) because almost every time I use them they irritate my skin really really badly.
    So I just use applicator tampons with panty liners, cos for some reason they don't bother my skin, and all I do is put a panty liner on the day I'm due to get mine (I can work out exactly when I get it) and then take some tampons with me (usually a couple of supers and regulars on the first couple of days).
    And don't worry, I think we've all had that problem of putting in a tampon which has a strong absorbancy only to find we need a lighter one.

11. Sam

Sam

I use pads and tampons. I start out with just a pad when I thinking I'm getting my period and then once it actually starts going I start out with super and then as the time goes on I go to regular and then when the regular is too much absorbency I just go with just pads but throughout my whole period I have a pad on for "back up" so I guess I create a lot of waste too. I don't use tampons when I'm sleeping though.

I have put in a tampon and it not be enough absorbency or too much absorbency but I don't do it very often and I have had that dry feeling too. I don't think I would like a moon cup.

12. sexyalex

lol i knew that and i don't wear them :lol: They come in differnt length sizes rather than widths.

Oh and btw, any girl who dosn't like to feel their period, trust me it's a blessing in disguise. (*hug*)

13. sexyalex

lol y'all need to just change ur napkin brands. thhey ALLLL don't scratch and if ur alergic to the essence or fragrance they manufacture inside it? i doubt it's that lol, not all are fragranced anyways. My older sister uses non-fragranced ones and i never smelt her a day in my life.:grin: and i know girls who buy the really sweet sented ones (i always sniff them when i see my friends with them :lol:slight_smile: and they smell like raw blood by mid-day.

you just have to knwo the right brand and the rigth kind of pad to buy for the right DAY. I never fully understood why my mom bought 4 different types of napkins for my cousin, but i get it now. It was cuz each day has a different flow and the size or absorbancy of the pad u may have used for ur first day, you wouldn't use that same type of pad on the 3rd or 5th day. In fact, those r the days u bring panty sheilds with u :eusa_eh: cuz chances are (and i have sene this happen before); u put on the pad, leave the house...and in a hour time ur period vertually stops.
    ...and u don't really know or cheack or u just don;t remove the napkin or probebly ur waering the wrong napkin....and, it then starts to shift out of position, starts to irritate you, make u feel uncomfortable etc.

ohhh yea. :icon_bigg it's really unfortunate u have to take oral medication to regulate ur menstral cycle; cuz usually when ur cycle's gone bad...it is saying something about your body, health, diet or lifestyle. and i think before that doctor placed u on pills he or she should have examined the reasons or causes of ur irregularities and tried to correct it before...u know....

i just got chicken pox, and my doctor gave me oral tablets and no cream to rub on my body. Now, when i am goign to the kitchen, it takes me 5 minutes to get there. I have to stop on the way and sratch my back all over the place before i reach my destination. :dry::lol:

14. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate pads...they make me feel sticky and horrible. During the day I usually use tampons. ccdd I know what you mean about tampons making you feel a bit dry, sometimes I deliberately use a pad to avoid that because somehow I think it makes it harder to insert a tampon (Otherwise it's really easy). But I try to avoid pads if I can help it.
    How long I keep in a tampon tends to vary, depending how heavy I am. If I'm light, several hours, but if I'm heavy, maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours.

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on where I am. Pads at school because it's easier to stick them on underwear than to put a tampon in, tampons most of the rest of the time.

16. otc877

otc877 Guest

Nom nom nom nom nom tampons.

While on the subject, I thought I'd share this small anecdote....

When I was younger and oblivious (and so cuuute :slight_smile:) I went rummaging through my parent's bathroom and discovered some tampons. So naturally, I opened every single one of them and noticed that they got huge when you put water on them...

So, like any other small boy would do, I filled them all with water and went downstairs and threw them at my brother. Too bad it was during a small get-together my parents were having.

I had fun :slight_smile:

Continue with the bleeding vag discussion.

17. Louise

OCT you are truely disgusting... are you sure you're gay... sound pretty straight to me there :lol:

I always use tampons, sometimes insertion can be difficult on lighter days but after the initial discomfort (10 seconds) it's fine. If you change your tampon everytime you go to the loo then you shouldn't have too much trouble. I think it is better to change your tampon every few hours and not wait too long. The longer you leave it in the higher your risk of TSS although having said that the risk is slight as long as you don't forget you have one in.

I think Becky's suggestion of a tampon with a panty liner is probably the best one. Never heard of mooncups *opens google to go look for mooncups*

18. Louise

19. otc877

otc877 Guest

I'm pretty sure :slight_smile:

20. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OMG! :roflmao: