1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stroke Recovery!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by An Gentleman, Feb 15, 2014.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First of all, no, I did not have a stroke, and besides the fact that I'm overweight bordering on obese, I'm fine.

My grandpa had a stroke on December 2012.
    He's doing okay, but he isn't recovering that fast, since he's in his late 70s...
    Any advice to help him recover faster? I have a hard time talking to someone who can't respond back very well.

Most of his right side is paralyzed, but he can use a cane (with help from my uncle, at least) and his wheelchair (also with help from my uncle). He can speak, but I have a hard time understanding him, since he still slurs a lot. Personally, I think he's doing a lot better from when he first got the stroke. Still, he could be better, and that's the important thing.

I'd appreciate advice on improving speech the most.

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's specialized exercises/therapy for sure, but as a non-medical person one thing you can do is resist the temptation to finish his sentences or thoughts for him, even though it's faster. Waiting for him to say it is also a motivation for him to make the attempt to complete the sentence and make himself understood. Within reason of course.

3. apostrophied

Speech, physical, and occupational therapy, most likely.

Sorry this happened, and I hope he keeps on making progress. And kudos on being a grandchild who really cares. :slight_smile:

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe he could chew gum to exercise his mouth muscles?