1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wisdom Teeth

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Balloonwolf, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Balloonwolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yesterday morning at 11, I had my wisdom teeth extracted. I was knocked out, thankfully, and I only remember sitting in the chair and waking up near the car.

I went home with a milkshake and took pain medicine. The rest of the day was spent sleeping, listening to TV, staying in bed, and being waited on by my family. Now, the pain is going away, but I'm terrified of the blood clots and cleaning process.

The packet they gave me states not to suck on straws, blow my nose, or touch the extraction area. The only thing I've done close to any of those is swallow, which does ache the gums a bit. However, I'm still terrified the clots will fall out and that I'll have to go back to the dentist. The idea of infection wrecks me.

Any advice? How long until you folks started brushing and cleaning your teeth? Eating regularly?

2. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Been a while. Off the top of my head yup, no straws (or smoking), keep your tongue away from the extraction sites, avoid really cold or hot food etc... I remember they suggested in case of light bleeding to bite on a cold wet used teabag for 10-15 minutes. Ice packs help keep the swelling down if there's any (something like 10 minutes on 5 minutes off). Avoid anything that raises your blood pressure (exercise of any kind, repeated up-down stairs), better lounging in chair/recliner than laying down on bed (keeps your head elevated)

If your dentist/surgeon prescribed something like Ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin) which is an anti-inflammatory, it's a good idea to take them even if you want to tolerate the pain, because it's going to keep swelling down.

Stick to soft foods for a bit, you don't want for example pieces of broken nacho chips jabbing into those sensitive gums for a bit.

Plenty of info through Google, this one from U of M among many

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was worried about infection too, but it never happened. Yeah, straws are discouraged since you could move clots and all of that. The only difficult thing for me was not eating solid foods for a while when I was recovering. (I had mine removed about 2.5 years ago)

My surgeon I think gave me the clear to go back to my regular schedule when the last suture fell out, and advised me to not eat anything like rice until I was fully healed so food doesn't get caught anywhere. I was brushing normally in recovery, just more gently and not as far back. I think I was ready to go back to normal roughly...two or so weeks after surgery since my one suture was really pesky and didn't want to fall out.

The aches go away with time, not too long. I'm sure you can take Advil or Tylonol for the pain if it's bothering you. Clots falling out aren't likely as long as you don't intentionally try to make something happen. One other thing I'll say from all I was told is you may have a "bad taste" in your mouth for a bit, which more than likely isn't an infection. I forgot what I was told, but they said that was all normal.

Just remember to rinse your mouth a few times a day as your doctor suggested and you should be fine.

4. AKTodd

Just got a wisdom tooth removed last week. Follow the instructions in the packet and you should be fine. An icepack wrapped in a towel for 20 min or so should be fine, but give it some hours before the next application. Eat soft foods, and avoid chewing for a bit.

My surgeon had me rinse my mouth after each meal with a warm salt water mix (glass of warm water, mix in table salt, rinse your mouth, swirling the water gently, spit it out. Repeat until the water is gone). I've been brushing my teeth (gently) from the get go, but again this was just one tooth. I had my follow up visit this last Friday. They told me to start using the rinsing syringe after rinsing as above and before brushing my teeth and that I could brush pretty vigorously. Apparently the wound is healing nicely.

Presuming you have a follow up in a week or so, you should get further instructions then. You may also get a call from the office in the meantime doing a follow up on your condition. You can use that as an opportunity to ask questions about anything that concerns you.

Hope this helps,

Todd

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really hope my wisdom teeth never give me issues. The idea of getting them removed freaks me out. (Though it relieves me to hear they used a general anaesthetic - I would not want to be awake for that!)

One of my bottom wisdom teeth is fully out now, and the other's about halfway out. The top ones haven't come out at all. I'm hoping they'll either not bother coming out or come out all the way with no issues.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My upper left wisdom tooth came in and was impacted. It kept me up two days solid from pain until I realized what it was. I went to the dentist on an emergency visit. I got novocained up real nice, then the dentist was like "hold on" and ripped it out. I passed out from the shock.

I REALLY don't recommend getting them out for any reason beyond tooth decay or impacted teeth. It's a scam to have them removed otherwise.

Also, to answer the question, my mouth bled for a day give or take, and didn't really eat solid foods for a few days after.

7. Pixelbro

Oh my god, my mom's an orthodontist and she did an x-ray on me and said 'we need to get your wisdom teeth out soon'. When your mom introduces you to the world of dentistry at the age of 4, it scars you for life. I cannot bring myself to get my wisdom teeth taken out, lol.

8. EttyT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    ouch! good luck with recovery! I don't have any experience (yet!) but they're definitely starting to poke through! I'd just suggest following the dentists instructions - you can't help swallowing (unless you spit everything your mouth creates!) so I wouldn;t worry about that.
    :slight_smile:

9. Haddz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well it took me about a week and a half, but they had to give me a double dose of the forget juice and still had to be held down by a group dental hygienists and one firefighter in for a cleaning. My mouth was pretty cut up!

I have a weird drug resistance.

#9 Haddz, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  10. Kreiger

Get ready to enjoy soup and yogurt for a week, but on the bright side, you've got an excuse to ask for smoothies! Just use a spoon instead of a straw though.

11. zabby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh man. I got all of mine taken out about a bit more than a year ago. Pretty painful at the start, but nothing really happened. I think it took me about a week, maybe a week and a half before I started being able to eat normal (but still soft) foods. The swelling was pretty intense, and applying coldpacks did help a lot (as a person said above).

More than anything, just wait it out. The chances of some scary thing happening to you are statistically low. It should heal up beautifully and you should be back to normal soon enough!

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How are you doing at this point?

13. Summer Rose

Hopefully you're doing better at this point; also, unlike me, I pray you don't have 6 (or God forbid, even more) wisdom teeth being removed.

When I had my molars extracted, I had to keep cotton on the sides of my mouth to help, and let me tell you - that sucked, hard! having to keep those things on the side of my mouth really made my jaw tired, but I had to bare through it.

Hopefully you're doing better. :slight_smile:

14. Balloonwolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm actually doing all right! Yes, it's bothering me a bit; it bugs me that I can't chew with my back teeth. I've been forced to swallow pasta stars and other soft things whole, which feels less nourishing and fun.

The tightness, however, is declining, and I'm sure that by tomorrow or Thursday, I'll be back to opening my mouth comfortably for food :grin: if anything, the constant fear of dry socket is keeping me safe with my teeth. I just wish this would all be over.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only fear going in was having nerve damage, but I was fine. To my memory, my teeth weren't impacted and I never had pain associated with my wisdom teeth--but I had them taken out anyway to avoid any possible complications in the future. (Shrug)