1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spinoff: Wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by apostrophied, Feb 18, 2014.

1. apostrophied

Based on the thread by the person who just got their wisdom teeth out. Kasey mentioned something about avoiding to take out teeth unless they are rotten or impacted and that really struck a chord with me.

One of mine is starting to come out, and is supposedly growing a little bit outward. Of course, the first thing that my dentist talks about is getting them all out. Right. Except I don't want to get them out if I can avoid it, a) because I don't have ~$200 or so to put down for that, b) because there are inherent risks to any type of surgery (plus I have a heart condition, which although very mild, would require special attention in case it could cause problems), so unless it's absolutely necessary, I'd rather not risk it, c) who the heck wants to go through that (it wouldn't be done under general anesthesia, which means the risks would be lower, but the memories would probably be traumatic for me...).

But how do I know whether the teeth are really problematic and need to be taken out (again, only one of them has been peaking out, and for only about 4 months), or if the dentist is out to make a buck off me (and rationalizes it by telling herself that I have insurance...)? It's a new dentist (because of insurance, I had to switch and she's the second one I've tried), and although she's very nice, I'm wary of dentists and vets and other health professionals who basically make extra money for every procedure. I'm going to go for x-rays soon, but again, I know nothing about teeth so I'm pretty much at her mercy.

Has anyone ever been in this situation with their dentist re. wisdom teeth?

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I grow up currently in a situations where when the dentists said I need braces, I didn't get them because of money. And now that all my teeth are in they still tell me "you know, that over bite.." but I'm 17 and not about to get braces. It's your mouth and it's up to you. My over bite was supposedly going to cause me some problems later on...but I seem just fine.

Also, I don't need my wisdom teeth out. Both my mum and dad have theirs still, and I definitely have the room, and yet my dentist is playing the "rather safe than sorry" card and I'm playing the "well my folks can't afford to pay you for something that is unnecessary" card.

It hits a nerve of mine because some people really do need those teeth out, and the ones who don't sometimes get theirs removed anyway.

If it's any consultation my friends who have need theirs removed expressed symptoms of discomfort long before they were removed.

I don't understand why you need all of them out when only one is loose, unless it's for the sake of symmetry, which doesn't logic in my opinion.

3. apostrophied

Ha, about the braces, the other dentist I visited before this one went on a huge rant about how, based on a very superficial description of my dental history, I could develop serious problems because my teeth weren't lined up, then about how I might be grinding my teeth during my sleep---all before I even opened my mouth!!! He didn't seem to understand how I don't have 8-10k for braces. I never went back to see him, and my new dentist agreed and said any intervention would be unnecessary.

Okay, so I'll get the x-rays done (just because they're 100% covered, so yay, ionizing radiation for free!) and play the "I can't afford it unless it's a huge, immediate priority" card and see what she says. I wish I could get a second opinion from a more laissez-faire type of dentist, but I don't know any.

Basically, the only reasons why one would get all teeth out at once is a) who would want to go through it 2, 3, or 4 times, and b) because if you take out, say, the bottom tooth, the top one won't have anything to make contact with to stay clean, potentially leading to decay. But so far, so good.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it is causing you pain, or has become infected, you definitely need it removed.

If not, try asking your doctor exactly what the medical term is for your condition, and then researching it online. I did that with my plantar warts, and decided to leave them untreated because plantar warts typically fade on their own given time.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never had a problem with pain, at least not with my wisdom teeth. He suggested we remove them before they became a problem (I think they were coming in a weird way). I went with it and I never had problems. My big fear was having nerve damage, but I came out of it fine.

I personally don't see an issue with having them removed or not unless you have problems like pain or infection for example. I thought most people usually go about their lives with them (or partially with them).

6. apostrophied

Really? Interesting, them buggers never went away on their own for me...

In terms of only getting them out if they cause problems, that's what I leaned towards as well, especially since I have excellent teeth with no cavities (only one spot where the enamel is apparently a bit thinned out). But on the other hand, she seemed to say that if you take them out early, it's better. But then again, better for her or for me...?!

7. The thing is that wisdom teeth are pretty difficult to brush well enough to ensure no cavities. My dentist tells me that even if my wisdom teeth grow in fine, they might get infected with a cavity pretty soon.

Wisdom teeth hardly have enough room to grow in most people. They cause more problems than benefits. Even if they are starting to grow in, it doesn't mean that there won't be problems with the tooth finishing growth.

Most dentists recommend wisdom teeth extraction in most cases to improve dental health, unless they finished growing in properly. Usually when wisdom teeth grow in at weird angles other than vertically, extraction is necessary. It's recommended to undergo wisdom teeth extraction when wisdom teeth hasn't erupted yet. That way, the teeth won't be so rooted. The procedure will be much easier and convenient that way, and you'll recover faster.

Partially erupted wisdom teeth increases the chance of pericoronitis when the tooth stops growing. It's a bacterial infection that will cause the production of pus and swelling. When it grows at a weird angle, that could damage other teeth, or even undo the work of your braces if you had them at one point.

Bottom line is to take your dentist's word and get them out. Yes, it will be costly, but it's better than paying for other services like treating a tooth infection, a jaw infection (which could end with a jaw removal), or an abscess.

8. AKTodd

At least in my case, the dentist referred me to an oral surgeon for the actual tooth extraction. Unless they had some sort of referral arrangement, I don't think the dentist actually made anything off the deal.

Secondly, while everyone was predicting that the surgeon would want to take all four teeth out (my boss was positively gleeful about the amount of pain I was going to be in, but then we have that kind of fun mutually assured snark relationship), the surgeon basically looked at the x-rays and said that he didn't believe in removing the other teeth unless they were causing/were looking to eventually cause problems. Which they weren't, so he didn't.

I'd recommend talking to your dentist about what exactly is involved here, finding out if they or someone else will be doing the procedure and talking to that someone else (if they exist) to see what they have to say about this. Also, at least in my case, I waited a year to get the procedure done since I was very busy at the time of the initial visit and didn't have time to be out for surgery. So it might be a case of you being able to delay and save up money for the procedure.

Basically, I'd recommend getting more information if you don't already have it.

Todd

9. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've had the two uppers removed, local anesthetic only, about 20 years ago (can't remember exactly what the reasoning was at the time) but my dentist said the bottom ones were ok to stay. so far so good. Luckily he's not one to push unnecessary procedures.