1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hallucinations

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by XTREMEZish, Feb 22, 2014.

1. XTREMEZish

So yah pretty much what the tittle says. But very very very very very weird. I should probably explain what happens. I used to think these things where ghost but I have kinda not bean thinking about that probability. So I will be walking and then I will see a person looking completely normal. They make noise, look like a real person, and some even have a smell like salt or perfume are very common. But I will try and focus on them and they aren't there. They only appear in my peripheral vision and when I'm not wearing glasses. I get the sight then but not smell and sound. They don't bother me, its just weird. What do you guys think, ghost or not, or my eyes and sense are sh*t and I should be locked up in an asylum.

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

this is a hard one lol some will say you can see the dead(which isn't unheard of) but there will be some that say you're insane.
    A lot of times ghosts will carry a scent, maybe a cigar smell or their favorite perfume. I for one like to believe in ghosts.
    While I cannot see them like you, I can sense something there... ya know? like a change of pressure in the room, like when someone stands in a doorway.
    I live in my childhood home, and we have had a lot of dogs, one of which doesn't seem to have passed on, as my roommates used to comment on seeing a black dog(which she was a black lab lol) when they first moved in.

3. setnyx

it sounds like you're seeing ghosts. unless you have other "symptoms" i wouldn't sign your self in just yet.

4. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it doesn't bother you then it's nothing to worry about. I can't see ghosts but I have no reason to doubt you. As long as you don't charge people to talk to their dead relatives! I see angels and demons and it doesn't interfere with my life. Before I took zyprexa I also saw people looking in the window at me and I could feel the walls breathing and tons more. It was nearly impossible to differentiate my hallucinations from reality and I was terrified.

5. Nikky DoUrden

First of all I must disagree on the "ghosts" idea. sorry that I put it bluntly but we are talking about something that influence your daily life and maybe your health, so lets not put supernatural phenmenas on the table :slight_smile:
    I agree with Lawrence - if it bothers u then go see a professional, there are medications that can help and if anything, it can help to talk with someone who knows a thing or two and can help u sort it out and get rid of it, ofc, again, if it bothers u :slight_smile:

6. Simple Thoughts

I'd definitely go see a medical/psychological professional about this. I know the idea of ghosts is fun in theory, but if you're seeing things that you know most likely aren't really there it could be a sign of 'trouble ahead'

It could be a neurological disorder, it could be symptoms of an underlying illness. There are plenty of health problems that can cause hallucinations so I'd make sure you're not dying of something at the very least to be on the safe side :slight_smile:

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're a medium!

8. apostrophied

I agree with Simple Thoughts. Ghosts are fun (for some people), but when you actually start seeing and smelling them, that's not a very good sign, I'm afraid... =/ To dismiss it as, "Oh, you're seeing ghosts and that's cool, I believe in ghosts," is not very responsible. Yes, some people may believe in ghosts and are free to do so, but what it comes down to is that ghosts have never been proven to exist; a link between hallucinations and mental illness, however, has been demonstrated countless times.

In your place, I'd seek immediate help. Disorders and diseases are far easier to get rid of, or at least relieve effectively, when nipped in the bud.

Please talk to a mental health professional ASAP and let us know how things go.

9. XTREMEZish

I actually really like it. When I grow up I want to do something creative in the horror industry. So every time I see one it either gives me short idea on what to do. Or inspires me to do a video game scene off of it. It doesn't bother me at all. I makes me a more creative person

10. AaronMed

I haven't read the other posts, so forgive me if I sound repetitive, but I do not think you are crazy. There are a multitude of things that could be causing this phenomenon.

Are you on any medications? There are quite a number of medications that are known to cause mild hallucinations in some people. For example, I take a drug called propranolol, which is a nonselective beta antagonist. Used in low doses, propranolol is good for anxiety, but it sometimes produces hallucinations - and in my case it did. In fact, my hallucinations were pretty much exactly the way you describe yours. So, do you take any prescriptions?

There are also a variety of ophthalmic conditions that can produce images that could be mistaken for people. For example, you could have a loose iris strand, which can occur in A few types of situations. The one that comes to my mind is postoperatively after certain kinds of eye surgery. What can happen is a small string of your iris (the colored part) can detach on one end and float around, appearing like a blurry image that moves.

Yet another condition that could produce this is mild retinal detachment, where your retina detaches slightly from the back of your eye due to selective liquefaction of the vitreous humor (The jelly-like substance that keeps your eyes from collapsing). This is more common in older people.

At any rate, I would recommend that you go see your doctor. It is extremely unlikely that this is anything serious, but on the off chance that it is, it's better to go in and make sure.

11. XTREMEZish

Actually I was i a foreign country when all this happened with something in the water...so yah

12. seeking

Hallucinations are positive symptoms

When someone is actually hallucinating they have other symptoms which are called negative symptoms or they are in an extreme mood state....Depression or Mania (bipolar).

If the hallucinations aren't interfering with you functioning in society i wouldn't worry much.

If it's a spiritual moment it will lead to some form of enlightenment/insight about a situation and if it's a psychiatric moment it will only lead to you isolating yourself and cause chaos in your life.

If it's not interfering with your life or causing you social issues. I wouldn't see it as a psychiatric issue and instead look for a meditation/reading circle to attend to in your area. There is really a huge difference between something spiritual and something psychiatric.

13. Meagan

No, I get what your saying.I've seen these things too. I've been wandering what they were myself.

14. Foxface

In a word...no

Generally there are four base reasons to involuntarily admit someone to a psychiatric ward

1. Suicidal ideation with a plan and/or attempt.
    2. Homicidal ideation WITH a specific target/s
    3. Acute psychosis severe enough to warrant admission
    4. Extreme lack of ability to care for self (this is the tough one)

Just through reading your thread, you don't meet criteria for psychiatric admission

There are so many reasons for hallucination

Some of the top ones are medication side effects and symptoms of a larger more encompassing disorder such as Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. I am not a spiritual expert by any means but I think what you've described, if it affects your day to day functioning warrants a trip to a psychiatrist or at least a doctor.

Like seeking said, if they don't interfere with your life then breathe easy and carry on