1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progesterone pills

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RainbowGreen, Feb 23, 2014.

1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so i saw my doctor in the beginning of February to begin my transition. He prescribed me progesterone pills to stop my periods because it's obviously the most dysphoric thing I can experience. He assured me it wouldn't have feminizing effects but now I feel like I have bigger hips. Is this just me going crazy about taking female hormones or can it really happen? Also, now that I started taking these things, my period lasted longer than it usually does and I just got another one merely a week after the last one. I'm considering going off the pill and dealing with periods until I get hormones now. I'm just wondering if it really can have feminizing effects.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm no expert or anything but I mean sometimes that's used in MtF HRT so I don't see why it shouldn't do those things...

Also when I looked it up it said this:

"Progesterone is also used in nonpregnant women with a delayed menstruation of one or more weeks, in order to allow the thickened endometrial lining to slough off. This process is termed a progesterone withdrawal bleed. The progesterone is taken orally for a short time (usually one week), after which the progesterone is discontinued and bleeding should occur"

Which seems to imply it's used to make periods happen MORE...

Again, not an expert, don't trust me over the doctor or anything!

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I'm going to stop it regardless of what he said because I can deal with normal periods until May if it means my hips are not going to get bigger. He said he commonly prescribed it to other FtMs but I really don't feel comfortable taking them. After all, if my hips get bigger, there's nothing I can do to reverse it :\

4. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

The tissue or your bones? If the pills are causing weight gain that's reversible. So what do you mean?

5. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I'm taking Progesterone along side my estrogen as per doctor's orders... he said it helps breast development and to balance out the estrogen

6. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Then why are they giving it to FtM's? Oh that's weird.

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have pretty much no fat, so it would be the bones :\

8. Claudette

Claudette Guest

I was informed it helps the regulate both testosterone and estrogen, when combined with testosterone it can reduce irritability, fatigue, anxiety, insomnia in men, help regulate dopamine, serotonin,& blood sugar flow

However if your FTM you're dosage of progesterone would be much lower then a MTF