1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protruding Sternum??

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Vampyrecat, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Vampyrecat

Well I've always been kinda bony, but I thought that was normal.
    Except when I was buying a bra the other day the bra fitter said my sternum was quite bony and the end of it makes it difficult to buy bras which fit.

Then I had a look and what I had assumed to be normal was actually fairly far out. It's not a "pigeon chest" (I went and googled), but it still doesn't seem normal. I've put on 4 kgs this year, and I'm still only around 54kgs, so I'm kinda thin, but my mother doesn't have it, and neither do my brothers, my dad or my sisters.

It does actually affect what clothes and bras I can wear because if I get the wrong shape or cut or type then it really hurts my sternum.

Any ideas??

2. KaraBulut

Pectus abnormalities are common enough that they are considered a normal variation. Pectus carinatum (pigeon chest) is just an extreme form of the variation.

There are a couple other thing that we would normally want to rule out in your age group that can be related to sternal abnormality- that's curvature of the spine (e.g. scoliosis and lordosis) and Marfan's syndrome which is a connective tissue disorder. If both are ruled out, then it is most likely a normal variation.

From what some of my female friends have told me, there is an art of bra sizing and that many women don't wear the proper size. And hopefully, one of the women will step in here because I'm a bit out of my element in this area. :lol:

3. Helen

Helen Guest

Sorry this reply is so late, but I've only just realised that I actually know something about this. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The best thing you can do is go to a proper bra shop and get a fitting. As in, from a professional. I went to one of those thinking I was a 36C, because that's what a woman told me when I got measured at a department store. But it turns out I'm a 30F. That's how much of a huge difference there can be with wearing the proper size.

The size of a bra actually varies along with the style and the fabric, so really there's no such thing as a definitive bra size. When you're trying on a new bra, you should always fasten it on the loosest hooks to start with, as long as the band is snug, and the band should lie snugly against the narrowest part of your back.

Underwires should curve comfortably around your breasts, they should *never* cut in, not even with your protruding sternum issue, because it's a fairly common thing. To test whether it's doing it's job properly, put the bra on and push against the wire. If it yields softly, it's resting on your breast, so you need a larger cup size. In your case, I'd recommend trying large band sizes so that your sternum isn't pushed too much.

That's just my opinion, though. I'd recommend you go and get a professional fitting, they'll be able to help you find what's best. Hope this helps ^_^

4. Jerr

I work at Belk and we of course have an intimates department and we have specially trained people for bra fittings. It is true the vast majority do not wear the proper size. (So stop complaining and get fitted... sorry quite a few of my female friends complain...)

It can be awkward but remember... they have to do this for a lot of people. It is only in the best interest to get properly fitted.

5. -Michael-

:eek::eek::eek::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: :eusa_shif::eusa_shif::eusa_shif::eusa_whis

6. Vampyrecat

The problem is I HAVE been properly fitted. Several times. The shop I went to made sure that they fitted me and measured me every time and I vary between a 10-12D.

I think it's just because being a small country town there really is only so much choice. I think the best bra I've ever had was the Berli Barely There bra...it is the first bra that fitted me properly and exactly right. And I'm always the same size in that range.
    But the problem is finding bras which are comfortable with thin straps, because I am not a fan of always wearing teeshirts. But thanks for taking the time to reply :slight_smile:

7. Beebo

I have it, not extreme, but it's there. I'm going to be posting some topless pics today, you can check em out Tess, and tell me if we are alike.

8. Jim1454

Oh wow. Mike... Do you feel ok? I mean you've got that protruding sternum thing going on... I didn't realize that most underwear models have a protruding sternum too, cuz that's what your pics reminded me most of...

:icon_wink

9. Vampyrecat

Thanks Mike. It's similar, but see I'm not the most fit person around. I'm a thin, curved person without abs. And it just feels like mine protrudes kinda sharply. I'll put a pic up tonight maybe and see what you think.