1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diabetes...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by flyinhernikes, Feb 26, 2014.

1. okay long story short my mum has type 2 diabetes and she always seems to use it as an excuse to not lose weight. or why she hasnt lost weight. ive told her im p e t r i f i e d of anything happening to her but she doesnt get it. ive tried talking to her about her diet, asking her to change her plate size to my size plate so its smaller. but she doesnt want that. not eat meat every day, nope doesnt want that. come for a walk with me, nope too tired. me cook for her and eat some veggie food, nope doesnt want that. she also eats chocolate almost every day after her meals.

a while ago we were in another town and had to walk about 20 minutes to our hotel she was like no. im not doing that. but she did it, she had no other choice. then while we were in town we walked everywhere, she complained that 'her feet hurt' after about an hour walking round town. i know its more than liekly because she is unfit. she is obese, ive told her she knows it, the drs have told her, she complains all the time none of her clothes fit her.

i dont want her to be skinny, just healthy.

im so sick and tired of trying to help, i dont want my mum to be in bad health anymore.

is there anything i can do anymore?
    does anyone have diabetes?

(side note: ive got underactive thyroid and i do a lot of walking, so i get excercise to keep my weight down and also just go an excercise bike.... so... i dont use my 'diagnosis' as a reason not to lose weight, cuz underactive thyroid makes you gain weight lol)

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does she like swimming?

Swimming can be easier for someone who's overweight, because it doesn't involve as much stress on their joints as most physical activity does. But it can still be great exercise.

3. setnyx

it's great that you want to help but some people don't want the help and trying to help just upsets them. i went through the samething when i first found out about my diabetes. no one could help me but me.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm on the higher end of normal. I go to the gym and I watch what I eat, except for 1 to 2 times a week. I only have one aunt who has it. However, she is heavy and cooks nonstop. I don't want it to get above the range at which I currently am.

I sort of don't understand it. They say people, like certain celebrities, have made it "go away." I understand it as the pancreas either not producing the insulin or the insulin it produces does not effectively deal with the food one ingests. So, it would suggest the body isn't functioning up to optimal level. I think that watching food intake and what you eat is probably "better" than losing weight (though that's good and necessary, too) because losing weight takes time. The point of watching what you eat is to minimize blood sugar spikes. That said, like any diet, the person should "cheat," or it would be hard to remain disciplined or be motivated without having periodic "rewards."

You can only push so far. She has to want to get better.