1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the point?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Nick, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Nick

Firstly: none of this is directed at anyone in particular (except myself I guess) but more at people in general.

And I know that it seems cliché and probably stupid, to me this is important.

Yes, there is random rambling in this post.

You don't have to find answers to these questions, but if you feel that you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Swear words have been self-censored in white.

I put this here because I feel that it is a mental health issue.

One thing that really annoys me about myself is that I have to understand EVERYTHING. Not in terms of different languages, but I need to know how stuff works and why it does what it does.

However, while I have been able to find the answers to many things, one still eludes me: what the fuck is the meaning of life? Seriously.

Everyone seems hellbent on finding someone to spend the rest of their lives with until they die. And then what? I really don't see the point of having children, of finding partners, of making friends because in the end, everyone dies. The people who are left behind are the ones who have to deal with the grief, the sorrow, the anguish, the pain of losing someone they love.

Are people so egotistical that they want to be remembered after they die? Are people so sadistic that they want others to go through the depressed state that follows someone's death?

People lust after things that they can probably never obtain which, I admit I do, but that is the thing that really annoys me? Why are there these forbidden fruits? These unobtainable trophies that taunt us so?

I honestly don't see the point of life and it freaks me out.

Trying to find and think of answers to these questions keeps me up late at night (4 a.m.) and lately, the more I think about anything and everything, the more depressed I get. My thoughts are fairly morbid too but, as much as it would put my mind at rest, I would (probably) never commit suicide because I have felt firsthand the aforementioned grief when someone close to you loses their life.

I'm depressed, I'm scared of life, scared of death, scared of everything and scared of nothing but above all, I'm scared most of myself and my fucking mind. I wish I could turn it off, I really do. But the problem is, I know that the only way to do that is something that I am not prepared to do.

I'm on school holidays so I can't see the school counsellor about any of this so thanks for being my listening pole.

2. Grantious

Hey dude,

Well i'm not going to even attempt to answer that entire question!

"Everyone seems hellbent on finding someone to spend the rest of their lives with until they die."
    Not everyone wants to find someone to spend there life with! though most people would not like to be alone, its nice to have someone who cares about you, to help you thought life as tough as it is! and it dosn't even have to be a extremely long term relationship even someone for right now is comforting.

Yes its true everyone will die! thats inevitable ur right.. but why would we want to make our time on this earth alone and bored, life live as it comes, enjoy the moment forget about the end result it dosn't matter! and its well worth the pain of losing them in the end because you spent time with the special person being family or friends or partners! like the old saying "better to have loved then lost than never to have loved at all" i believe it to be very true
    try not to over think things... who cares about that point... the point is worthless and in the end will make u unhappy, enjoy the moment have fun meet people forget about the end result.
    btw you cant hav everything "People lust after things that they can probably never obtain" thats life. people want things yea.. but its fun to have goles they usually give hope and they can be fun

Really in the end forget about the point seriously!
    Don't worry be happy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: so sappy oh oh that rhymed

xoxo.

3. Jebs

Hey Dude,

I too use to wonder about things like this. Thinking that there was no reason to get out of bed, no reason to put on clothes, no reason to talk to anyone. Even though when I was going through this I had more friends then I do now, it was quite possibly the most lonely time of my life (thus far). We all go through a period like this, atleast from what I've seen from other people. There really isn't anyway of answering the question for you, one day you will realize that you don't have to 'understand' or 'know' exactly what life is all about.

It is what it is. Confusing and new (to you of course). Honestly, I don't think anyone has figured life out or what the purpose is. Many witty quotes and theories have arose from this thirst for that knowledge. Being nothing more then witty quotes and theories. Even great last words sometimes. Just realize that you are young dude. You are going through a time in life when your hormones are kicking you in the face and making you think about everything. Just hang in there man. (*hug*)

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I honestly don't see the point of life and it freaks me out.

This of course is THE question that hovers over everybody's head. "Why am I here? What's the point?" And I wish I could give you an answer, but the fact is the answer is different for everyone. Not only that, but the actual search - finding out what exactly you think your purpose in life is - is, in fact, a huge part of the process. Trying things. Getting new experiences. Studying. Meeting people. And as time goes on, you'll get a clearer picture. The answer will probabl ynever be absolutely clear or set in stone - it changes over time - but eventually, you'll find your place.

Some days, it's tough. You gotta go on faith. The faith that there IS a place for you, there IS a reason to keep going. Nothing to be done about that. Just get up and keep going. If you start having too many of these days in a row, you might want to look into seeing a counselor or therapist, to help you find your track again, and help you get back on it. Because it's there. You'll find it.

You may have heard the saying "Life is a journey, not a destination". And that's really true. I don't know what my accomplishments I'll be able to list when I'm on my deathbed. But I know one thing I want to be able to say. "I've had a great time." And so far, I'm doing that. :grin:

Lex

5. Gumtree

I agree with Lex, that everyone's going to have a different answer.

But the way i see it, one way or another it's either out of your control or you do it you make yourself or someone/thing else happy/ier.

6. revolutionrock

I don't think there is a "point" to life.

My best guess would be to produce as many offspring as possible; biologically we are meant to.

Of course, a more sensible way to approach things is to set and achieve goals for yourself. Fulfillment is the name of the game, and life is what you make it!

7. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well that worked smashingly, now we're overpopulated. :lol:

All jokes aside, i do not believe that there isn't any one purpose. Everybody has their own purpose. If you are a spiritual person, i believe we are all here to learn something in this life. Whether about ourselves or about the human spirit as a whole.

A more mundane school of thought may be; if death is inevitable than we may as well make the most of life. (&&&)

8. Nick

Let me just say that while it might seem like I'm trying to argue against the points suggested by people, I'm just adding my own little anecdotes, not trying to start a flame war.

OK, I probably should have said "most people" there. I just personally see it as selfish because we know that at the end, the person will have to endure with the loss.

I wish that I could just focus on the present (and short term future) but I can't. I always seem to think of "what if"s even when I don't want to (which is most of the time).

I guess that I just don't want to hurt people when I do go.

I know, I really wish that I could. Most of the time when I'm doing things I'm alright, but times like on holidays and at night when I'm doing bugger all make me think of these things.

It just annoys me that there are things that I really want that I know I have no hope in ever obtaining (and I'm not talking about stuff that can be bought from a shop)

I've been trying to convince myself of this for a while now, but as of this moment, it has been futile.

Well I wish someone would hurry up and figure it out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hopefully it will pass when they settle down.

Here's hoping that I do.... I know what I want to do, but I just don't see why I should.

I can see the track, I am just off in the scrub at the moment.

Damn your inspirational stuff.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I like stuff not being out of control, but sometimes I feel that everything is already set out, like a railway. We are just passengers and we can't control what the train is doing. Seriously, the amount of times that I dream about specific conversations that then actually happen to me freaks me out (the same location, people, position I'm sitting or standing, the complete sentences)....

We are meant to do lots of things, but that doesn't mean that we will or we have to :slight_smile:

Why should we subject ourselves to the pain (etc.) to get to something that won't be with us? (But I suppose that the counter argument to that is "are you saying we should all just kill ourselves and let the human race die out?"

Thanks for the replies so far, they've been interesting to read.

9. revolutionrock

Well that's it, isn't it? You've got to make up your own mind, define for yourself what you think an accomplished life would be.

"The meaning of life" isn't some celestial to-do list; all you can do is make life into something wonderful before your time is up. It doesn't do to mope around & wait for life to happen to you, because it is happening.

The only things we can attain but not keep after we're gone are material things. Life is more about experiences, and feelings, and that jazz than about what things we end up with. After you die the things you have will just be a burden on your family... things that were once important to you that they now have to sort and get rid of (which is, for them, heart-breaking).

It really is up to you. :slight_smile:

10. pirateninja

Well, I happen to have the formula for the meaning of life, right here, right now.

I discovered it while looking through Einstein's theory of relativity. He obviously discovered it and hid it cunningly in this annoying equation:

E=MC^2

Now, while this may just look like the theory of relativity, using super secret decoding material, I have found the meaning of life.

Eat=More Cheese^2

Now of course this is telling us to eat more cheese, and the ^2 bit could be saying "cheese squared" which would look like:

Eat = More (Cheese x Cheese)

Which ultimately means eating more cheese than you would eat if you were just told to eat more cheese. Another theory is that it actually stands for "square cheese", which would make eating round cheese obsolete.

Now, is there a serious point to my ramblings? Yes, for one thing, people try to find COMPLETE and utter meaning in anything. Maybe we have a purpose, maybe we don't. Maybe we're meant to eat more cheese, maybe we're meant to overpopulate the earth. Nobody's God, nobody can get in the mind of God so we should probably stop trying to find out just why he made us, or whoever made us.

I have meaning. I try to be happy and make others happy. I don't know if I'm meant to be destined for anything great or just live out a normal life. I don't try to think aboot it. And you say you think too much aboot it. Thinking is good. THINK AWAY! But don't let it impede your life. Lex said "Life is a journey, not a destination." If we can all look back over our lives and say "yeah, that was a good run" as far as I am concerned I don't NEED meaning, I don't NEED a purpose. It's nice, certainly, but I don't need a meaning to exist.

11. Jim1454

Aging is sometimes a cruel price to pay for wisdom...

I could say so many things on this topic, as I've come across so many expressions, prayers, songs, etc. that I think of when I read your questions. As a result of my life experiences, I cling to two critical passages:

At the age of 16, you've not experienced some of the really amazing emotions and events that make up our seemingly pointless lives. You've not been in love, you've not had kids, you've not skiied in the rocky mountains of Alberta... or whatever might happen to make your life somewhat exceptional.

When you start to have some of those experiences (and they're not necessarily going to 'find' you - you have to 'find' them) you'll see that it would be worth the pain you (might) experience later in order to have had the experience that you are.

For Becky's benefit, there's a Garth Brooks song that comes to mind as well... Even when we know in hindsight how painful an experience has been, we still wouldn't change anything because the positive outweighs the negative.

Try to live in the present. It isn't easy. But it's ultimately a much better experience.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I know what I want to do, but I just don't see why I should.

Because you can.

The truth is - none of us knows precisely why we (as sentient beings) are here. Why us? Why now? Why here? None of those whys are answerable. So stop trying to answer it, and rephrase the question.

"I'm here. Now what?"

Lex

13. Blaz

Blaz Guest

I've asked many of these same questions and more throughout my life, though I've been fortunate enough to experience things that have shaped me into who I am today.

First, you seem to view the world in a non-theistic view, if that's correct:

Life is more than a personal struggle to find answers or love, Life is about doing your part to benefit the entirety of the human race. Though we as individuals do not live on, humanity does. Many people with non-theistic views have adopted ways of coping with life. Many have become Doctors, Nurses, Anthropologists, Philanthropists, and a number of other possibilities, all of which help further the human race and heal the wounds of yesterday. There are many ways to do this. Volunteer, join a local organization for animal or human race. Start a club. Do something. Do anything, that is, anything with a positive output. It is your life, and once you realize the control you have over it, you can move mountains.

Unfortunately, there are many people who give up and do nothing with their life because they feel everything is meaningless. Believe me this, however, if you do something that changes something for the better, even by helping a person cross the street, someone(Or something)will remember. But it starts with you.

You have so much potential in life. Do not label it as being worthless and meaningless. The question is not "What is the meaning of life" it is "what is a life of meaning". ALWAYS remember that.

-Alex

P.S. If your still interested in searching for answers, consider taking a course in philosophy, or, if you want a GREAT book to read to search for answers, I HIGHLY recommend Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder(Please do no take this lightly, I think this book may have an enormous impact on you).

14. Nick

I think that that is my problem. I'll be doing some serious thinking about that in the coming days and weeks.

That is one thing that I should try not/learn not to do. And your example really made me laugh with your theory :grin:

Unfortunately, it seems to be. As far as I know, there is nothing (not legal, anyway) that can make my mind switch off. I've tried breathing exercises, ambient music, even meditation, but those seem to give me more time and a better environment to think in.

While I may not have experienced the emotions, I certainly feel that I have experienced amazing events that have definitely changed my life: in 2002, my parents and I spent 9 months traveling around Australia and in 2006-2007 I spent a year in Belgium as an exchange student away from my parents. I consider those to be truly amazing, unique, learning events in my life, and I hope that there are many more to come too (I 'found' the exchange, too. My parents didn't really want me to go, but I convinced them. After about a week or two, they thought it was alright with no kids at home :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)
    Those quotes are definitely things that I will think about whenever I have the opportunity. I'll print them out and keep them in my pocket.

Terrific advice, as usually seems to be the case coming from you....

I love you. That is awesomeness and I will definitely have to remember that.

I've looked into it and it seems like a good read. Luck would have it that my school library has a copy of it so I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. This has been really helpful. :slight_smile:

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Jim! I was going to post the lyrics to The Dance! :slight_smile: You beat me to it. Instead I'll share this great little poem. Its one of my favorites.

http://www.thedashmovie.com/linda/

16. Nanzuniko

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I agree with pirateninja XDDD