1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started a test-run on anti-depressant meds

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by duende84, Mar 2, 2014.

1. duende84

I started a test-run on anti-depressant meds.

Dont know if it is all in my mind but they make me feel a bit quirky at the moment. I keep pulling my face into a frown until it hurts and feel jittery. But it can also be from being so tensed up.

The idea of anti-depressants has always freaked me out because I am scared that I will crash when the supply runs out (for some odd reason).

But if it can help me maintain a more positive outlook on life then I'll take it for the rest of my days.

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are you on, if I may ask? And were you diagnosed?

3. Cas

Cas

I've been on antidepressants since I was nine years old and I've switched medicines a couple of times, as sometimes they lose their effectiveness after a certain amount of time.
    But you'll notice that when you start a certain antidepressant, there will be side effects at first until you become used to them.
    For me, I was put on Effexor and I had insomnia for a couple of weeks and was a little more grumpy than usual. Then my body adjusted and the insomnia stopped and I was happy.
    Give your body a couple weeks to adjust. You may experience different side effects during that time, but trust me, if you find the right medicine for you, you'll be happy once again and it'll be worth it.
    Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know that risperdol can give you tardive dyskinesia? That's uncontrollable facial tics. I'm not sure that's what you are on but I'm just saying that some antidepressants have really weird side effects, especially if it's an antidepressant that doesn't work for you. You do know depression is the same symptoms but not always the same biochemical cause right?

You might want to go see a doctor... Or have seen one from the start.

5. Foxface

I'm going to just come out and tell you that the facial tics can be nothing or they can be a sign of something serious called tardive dyskinesia or EPM. I would absolutely call you doctor as soon as you can. Don't just stop immediately but I would call

If you feel your throat get tight and breathing difficulties ensue, go to the ER

Would you be willing to share what you are on?

6. KWDBM

This may be just me, but I've found when I start a new medication, suddenly any abnormality could be because of the meds. I stopped taking Lithium because of the horrible headaches, and then it was out of my system and the headaches were still there. I'm not saying your facial movements *aren't* because of the medication, but medication is often partially psychology. If you think it's not going to work, or you're convinced it's going to do something bad to you, then....

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying Foxface or I are medical doctors but one is a biochemist and the other a therapist and I personally know a lot about possible medicines that can cause the symptoms of the ailment mentioned. (If I had to guess I'd say risperidol)

You should speak to a medical professional indeed.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anti-depressants are not always without side effects and it is sometimes necessary to go back to the Doctor.

Some people really struggle with the side effects and take themselves off anti-depressant medication, which is really not a good idea. Anti-depressants are prescribed for a reason and it can be more damaging to simply come off them without proper medical support.

9. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Read the instructions in the pack really carefully.
    These symptoms may be normal ... or not.
    But the pack should give you all the advice you need.

10. Reddy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have found that some anti-depressants have side-effects that can impair sexual functioning.

I am on Effexor and have found it impossible to reach orgasm until relatively recently, after almost a year. And still it is difficult to reach that point.

Interestingly, the return of orgasm also coincides with me beginning treatment with Gabapentin (chronic pain). Not sure if it is related or not.

Overall, I guess they have been effective. Other than the above-mentioned side-effect, I have not suffered any other wierdness. Just don't skip doses...or go off too rapidly!

11. duende84

Update: I have stopped taking it because it made me feel really bad and distracted and tensed.

I am my old self again and I think its better just to ride out a day or two of depression than to feel bad constantly.

Sometimes a hug from a friend is the best cure! And it has no (or little) side-effects. Side effects might include feeling loved or silly or crazy.