1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does a relationship need Sex?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by allyssa, Mar 6, 2014.

1. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm in a relationship where my partner after 4 years of us being together said she does not want sex. I'm confused. Can a relationship work without sex? Especially since I want sex. Is that even healthy not not have sex? (I'm 27!) Just looking for view points.

2. KanayaMaryam

Yes, a relationship can survive and be healthy without sex. =P My uncle and aunt on my dad's side have never had sex and they've been married more then 10 years. I don't believe a relationship needs sex to survive, all you need is a emotional connection and a willingness to make the relationship work. It's possible that your partner is asexual and just isn't interested in sex.

3. Yosia

i think relationships are more about the emotional connection and how much they love eachother~ i think sex is a milestone of 'becoming one' literally, and i personally think it should be between two people who love eachother very much~ thats why i dont understand people who are absolute sex addicts and sleep with anyone >.<

4. QueerQueen

I do believe it can work and have heard of other couples like it, but I don't believe everybody can do it. I most likely would not be able to be in a relationship long term without sex.. then again I'm a virgin and would like to at least experience it.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In general, I'd say yes, a relationship could potentially exist without sex.

But in a situation like yours, where one partner wants sex, and the other does not, it becomes more difficult. Perhaps even impossible if the partner wanting sex has a strong need for sex.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can work if both parties are happy with the situation, but if either party needs to experience the intimacy of a sexual relationship there is a major problem that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

But why she doesn't want to have sex anymore?

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes it can but it depends on the people in the relationship.

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there are two possibilities I can think of.

Firstly, it may be that your partner is asexual, and has just recently realized it. It may be that before, she was having sex not because she really wanted it but because she felt like she should want it or like she owed it to you, and only recently realized that those are not the best reasons to decide to have sex.

Alternately, it's possible that she's not asexual, but problems in your relationship are making her less interested in being intimate with you. When a couple start to drift apart emotionally, they'll often end up feeling less attracted to each other and having less sex as well. If they manage to resolve the issues that have arisen, then the sexual connection tends to come back.

10. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yes it can. I'm not all that interested in sex either, but I do want it as a minimum part of the relationship. Maybe you can find a compromise?

Plus, think of it this way. If people can have casual sex without ever having romantic feelings for their partners, why can't it work in reverse? :slight_smile:

11. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Some people quite honestly don't have any interest in it. When both people can go with out it, it's fine. But if you want it, you should talk to your partner.

12. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    every relationship is different just like every person is different. but for me sex is very important in my relationship.

13. justjade

Relationships can survive without it, yes. However, I have trouble with it. My husband is often too grumpy/tired to have sex since he works overnights, and I'm almost perpetually stressed out. This causes me to subconsciously see him as just being a good roommate, as my therapist pointed out. I need sex. My husband needs sex. Some people do. Some don't. It's just a fact of life. Sex can make a lot of things better, but it's not there to solve disputes either.

14. Beetle

Relationships don't always need sex, but it can be a problem for a couple if one wants sex and the other doesn't. I do want sex, but I can go for a while without it too, it's not the most important thing to me but I do crave that intimacy often.

I think you should talk to her about it though. Maybe you can come up with some compromise that will make her feel comfortable with some form of intimacy that will work for both of you. But if not, don't force it on her. She could be asexual, she might not be. But if it's a problem for you, you should talk to her about it.

15. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry I didn't respond, I had to work... But I'm back and would liek to respond to some posts. n_n Thank you all for helping.

We have never had sex. Fortunately or unfortunately... We are both still virgins. "fun" right?

You hit it the first time. My partner, when we first got together 5 years ago, was bisexual. She had a boyfriend at one point but broke up. After we dated for a year, we kissed. Year 2, cuddling kissing... Year 3 made out... year 4.... kissing.... some cuddling.... Ya... I figured out something wasn't right. That's when she told me she discovered she was an asexual.

I broke up with her. But us being apart hurt more then being together. So we compromised. 1. no sex. 2. making out at least once a month. 3. more public displays of affection... like holding hands... 1 and 3 came from her. 2 came from me...

The biggest problem is it's been a year and 2, making out (my part that I need) hasn't improved. We haven't really made out yet.... *sighs* I don't know what to do. That's why I asked if people thought sex was needed.... Maybe I should have asked if making out was needed.

We're "trying" a compromise.... but if you read above... It's not really working. And you bring up a good point of the Reverse. However, the idea of casual sex with not romantic feels bugs me... so I guess the otehr way would bug me as well.... Maybe....

I want to be intimate with her so badly! But she doesn't "need" that touchy physical intimacy like I do. She said she's "covered/fine" with the way things are... But to me... We just feel like best friend that kiss. Since we don't even cuddle to much anymore.

That's probably my biggest fear. I don't want to push her into doing something she doesn't want to do. I don't want to force her to do something.... that's not how it works. That's not how I want any relationship to be. At this point I don't even know what a common ground would be to achieve that intimacy.

Thank you everyone who responded. I would love to keep chatting. It's helping me a lot. Sorting out things before I talk with her. Thank you.

16. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You sound like my roomie! She's completely asexual. I promise you we would be a couple if she wasn't, I love her, I really really do, the difference is we've been friends for years and we've known our sexual orientations for years.

I could never handle a nonsexual romantic relationship and we've always known that so we've just never let it get that far, it's never been a viable option. People think we're a couple, we wonder sometimes if we ARE in fact a couple lol.

This sounds harsh I think but one option is to try our situation: best friends/roomies/non-sexual-life-partners where the sexual person finds an outside romantic/sexual relationship.

17. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (Just realized that I said you sound like my roomie when I meant your girl does >.>)

18. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't know if I can do that. I do want to live with her. But she's told me she'll be heartbroken and crushed if I leave. Like I'm the only one. But that puts a LOT of pressure on me. Like I HAVE to stay with her. But on the flip side, she's not helping me sexually... and also on the OTHER flip flip side. I don't know if I'll find anyone like her... what if she's it? If I leave, what if I don't find anyone? I'm not pretty or cute... She's my first relationship... I just don't know if I can end it again. The last time I did I was more miserable then being in the relationship... *holds my head* Uhhh! I just wish she knew she was asexual earlier...

19. Clairity95

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I honestly figured this would be your response :/
    Idk how I'd have coped if I hadn't known with mine. My main point was losing completely doesn't have to be a thing, although communication really needs to be.
    Good luck, asexuality is always a topic my roomie and myself are willing and able to discuss, so we'll be here if you need to talk about it!

20. allyssa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Honestly... you probably know more about asexuals then I do. I ask my girlfriend questions and either she says she doges the question or it's the "I just don't know"...

When I look up information on the internet it varies so much. When I ask her about some thing I've read, she usually tells me that's not at all like how she is. *sighs*

-ps, sorry for going nuts the last post. u_u