1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to be stronger without gym or equipment...any suggestion/help/links/ideas?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Straight ally, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I dont need to lose any weight, my weight is ok...

What i want is to have a more of everything (upper body, lower body, arms, everything), but i DO NOT want huuuge muscles. I only want to look like i look now, but a more solid version of my present body.

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2014 at 09:42 AM ----------

Thanks in advance nice people :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2014 at 09:44 AM ----------

Maybe one day i will go to the gym...but now is not possible. So i need other alternatives that dont require gym or equipments.

2. Nick07

Huuuge muscles are hard to get :slight_smile:

Try to look up videoclips on youtube. There are lots of workouts for beginners there. You can start without equipment or use something home made (like for example bottles filled with water or sand)

3. Foxface

do you have a little money to get something like P90X?

4. Nick07

But you do need equipment for that one, don't you?

5. Nikky DoUrden

I was in your state of mind years back, I didn't want to lose weight but just gain some muscles, mostly for health concerns.

I don't think you can get biceps without equipment. The point is to make them carry weight, so if you mean to carry your own weight you can always do pushups and stuff like that but its too hard (at least for me) and it don't last long.
    That's why I suggest getting weights - start from small ones then advance to bigger ones when u feel comfortable.
    I searched youtube for videos (and try to ignore the hot bodies of the guys there! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

For abs I like this one :
    [YOUTUBE]HK6mKUEY09o[/YOUTUBE]
    You can do it while standing up, and once u get the idea u can do it anywhere like at the same time you're cooking food or brushing teeth.

Two last things:
    ~ it might get boring so if you intend on doing like 30 minutes a day or something, maybe do it while watching a TV show or hearing certain music u like
    ~ dont forget WARMUP its very important and shouldn't be neglected :grin:

6. Foxface

well the only equipment is a set of workout bands. The rest of the movements are just free movements without equipment

7. Nick07

I was looking at it last week and if I am not mistaken, you need at least dumbbells and a horizontal bar.

They also say that it's not for total beginners. For them they recommended some other type of exercising. I believe it has "power" in its name. But I can be wrong. The results look stunning though :slight_smile:

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have a look online at Calisthenics. There are loads of exercises that you can do to tone up without the need for a gym membership or equipment.

9. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

10. AAASAS

I really don't think investing in a dumbbell is a dumb idea.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pliometrics/cardio/pilates/yoga

All good for toning and strength without muscle mass.

Also, karate teaches muscle contraction and better body use, and therefore more efficient muscle use.

12. Hexagon

There are a number of bodyweight exercises you can use. Like push-ups and pull ups etc. You can use a chair to build triceps. But buying a cheap set of weights and a dumbell might not be a bad idea. I did so myself, and have found them useful.

13. LiquidSwords

Honestly it's so much easier to work out with weights, if you can afford them then I'd recommend investing, just a set of adjustable dumbells will do. There's loads of good body weight exercises you can do but you're so much more limited in movement and the weight you do.

For example a press up is essentially the same workout as bench press, but incline/decline is harder and the only weight you can do is your body weight, and tbh as a muscle building exercise doing anything over 20 press ups per set is not doing very much for you. Better to lift something you can only do for about 8-10 max, which is where being able to vary the weight you lift helps.

Saying that, there's still a fair bit you can do. For chest the press up is your best option, this will also do triceps. If it's too easy, ie you can do more than 10 easily, use either really narrow or really wide hand plant; the narrower the more you isolate pecs and the wider the more you isolate triceps. Also start with your legs up on a table or something means you're pushing more weight, but not much past horizontal or you start to work traps (muscles either side of neck) instead of pecs.

For lats (main muscle of your upper back) pull ups are the best option, which will also do biceps. Reps should be harder than for press ups so if you can do more than 10 easily then you're doing pretty well, but if you need it to be harder I suppose you could somehow add weight to yourself, put a bag of sugar in your pocket or something :lol:

For abs there are a million body weight exercises to do, basically every abs exercise is just body weight so you're not losing out at all not having weights. I'm sure there's youtube videos of great routines so have a look, my favourites would be 'airbike' 'crunch and leg raise' (together) 'russian twist' (better with some sort of weight in hand, even if just 1 or 2 kg) 'plank' (also side plank). Do these for a certain number of reps or for 30 seconds at a time is what I like to do.

That's all I've got for now. I don't mean to sound like I think I'm an expert because I'm not, especially on body weight exercises, but any questions I could try to answer. Good luck!

#13 LiquidSwords, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's always this.

[youtube]o-50GjySwew[/youtube]

OK, so I'm kidding. :slight_smile: The P90 is a great idea if that's possible because it's effective and well thought out and a pretty complete set of exercises that are proven to be effective. There are also lots of ways you can exercise and build muscle simply by doing things on your own. Yoga can build beautiful bodies and toned muscles. And there are workout videos that use nothing but your body. More than anything, it's discipline and repetition.

15. Tongue Flicker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sports and martial arts.

Makes you stronger without bulking up

16. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

This guy in the following link did only body weight exercises (so no weights) and got a body like that.

Fortress - YouTube

Your diet plays a massive part in how your body will look too, this guy has a video on that too.

17. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Wow, i leave EC alone for a few days and this gets full of recommendations! Thanks you guys!

Lately im busy, but i will find time to check all these stuff

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2014 at 02:57 PM ----------

!!!! Wohoo!!! That seems very nice! And...

http://news.talkqueen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/its-free-300x209.jpg

---------- Post added 15th Mar 2014 at 02:58 PM ----------

A whole channel!

18. Amerigo

bodyweight exercises