1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need to lose it

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Danny19, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Danny19

I really really really want and need to lose weight. Im at around 270lb and 5'7. so I'm obviously overweight. I have been gaining weight since i was in middle school. I used to be so skinny and then pop. I got fat. and just recently it hit me in the face that its time that i lost weight and started eating healthier. The thing is this happens a lot. I get that push that i need to lose weight and i start eating healthy and working out. I lose around 15lb and then i start doing whatever I'm doing less. and I'm back at my old weight or even heavier. Im uncomfortable in my own body. Sometimes i can't find anything to wear because i hate how things look on me. Even though i really want to start exercising and eating healthier I can't find motivation. I keep saying ill start tomorrow but i don't. Tomorrow never comes. And frankly, I'm getting tired of myself. its annoying and frustrating. I was supposed to start this since the start of the year. Its march now and nothing. I want to look good. feel good. I want to wear what i want without worrying that i look fat. eat what i want without worrying that I'm getting fatter. and as a bonus i get to finally rub in my families face that I'm not going to be fat forever and finally end the jokes about my weight.

So I'm on here to ask you guys if you can give me any advice on getting motivation to do this and also on what i can do to lose weight. Thanks in advance.

2. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing that I have found helpful is logging my food. It might seem stupid but it helps a lot, I have lost 50 lbs this way. There are even websites and apps that help you with the process. I have used both myfitnesspal, and Loseit.com, and I found Loseit to be the easier of the two. You can completely customize your personal information and make a plan that is fitting for you.

3. Amerigo

well before i begin, i'm no expert!

i struggle with gaining weight (and my nutritionist, who is an expert, has confessed to me that in her experience, gaining weight is harder! but you seem to live in la where everyone is health concious so neither of us has it easier i guess), but i've also fluctuated in terms of my weight. i'm finally starting to take control, though. be assured that larger people tend to drop weight quicker than those who are not as large.

i'd suggest you adopting a caloric deficit (obviously - silly me), since you're a man i'd also suggest increasing your protein intake significantly all the while lowering the amount of starchy carbs you eat - you can afford to do this since you're over not underweight, i on the other hand have to get all the goodness i can get. eat smaller meals regularly, not only to speed up your metabolism (some people say this is nonsense, i think it makes sense), but because it's the eating pattern most people into fitness adopt anyway, because it's good for you after all. a balanced diet is wonderful, try to cook natural food for yourself, screw those ready made meals, you can find a lot of info on good food on bodybuilding sites because i can't be bothered to list any, you'll be amazed at how removing or reducing certain foods we take for granted can have such a profound impact. as for exercise, it's said that men can benefit from going for an hours walk every morning before breakfast, as a long-term means of keeping body fat at bay. again, you can afford to doing more cardio, but mix it up after a few months, i'd obviously try to reduce the body fat percentage before putting on lean muscle mass, and there are so many types of exercises out there, all this cross fit and insanity and plyometrics and strength & endurance training and weight training, like so many, and i haven't even mentioned the zumba classes.

please do not do something too drastic like starve yourself, you may cling on to fat eventually, and you'll get saggy. remember, there is no better lifestyle than a life-long, balanced, and sensible lifestyle.

i wish you the best of luck!

4. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha, Danny

I went to Weight Watchers. They gave me the support and the motivation to lose 40 pounds. Just showing up at the meeting every week and getting coaching from the ww staff was a tremendous help. They will stay with you for the long run, too. They have ideas, approaches and recipes that make you eat better, eat leaner, and not feel starved. I was amazed at how effective they were for me. And I have been able to keep the weight off for a decade now.

I suggest you go and talk to them and find a class that is at a time you know you will be able to go to every week. (so, no excuses, man!)

Good luck to you. Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can do to support you.

Milan