1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I suffer a stroke?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Typhoon, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's a bit too late to ask that now, but I never told anyone and became recently curious to find out. Basically it happened around November.

All I can remember waking up in the middle of the night, at around 3-4AM, and I felt numb and seemed to have trouble hearing, as if I was surrounded by fog. For some reason my body seemed to be telling me to go to the bathroom, I got up and realized that there was an explicable explosive pain in my head, like beyond anything I've ever felt and I was very weak. Somehow I managed to struggle down the stairs and forcing myself not to faint (the stairwell probably saved me from falling). The pain in my head was so intense I actually remember seeing hazy spots of light here and there

Without knowing how I arrived in the bathroom, sat down and for some reason tried to take a shit. I ended up hanging next to some implement which holds the toilet rolls ''for dear life'' so to speak, it was as if my body wanted to go to sleep badly and I was forcing it not to. After about 5 minutes, the pain lessened, and my senses became clearer but I still felt very and unusually physically weak, as if my arms and legs had turned to water. I also had trouble speaking and the whole thing was very dream-like. My father had gotten down as I opened the bathroom door and I muttered something to excuse myself and head back to bed. He was drunk, the last person I needed to talk to was him anyway. Even speaking had been hard, as my tongue felt very big and heavy. When I woke up, I was much better, and did not really have to lean on things as such, though my legs were very weak.

Thoughts? I don't think I forgot to mention anything important.

2. apostrophied

I would go to the hospital IMMEDIATELY if I were you. Whatever it is, it needs to be checked out ASAP.

Good luck and feel better soon.

EDIT: Sorry I just realized this happened several months ago. You don't have to rush to the hospital right away, but definitely bring it up at your next doctor's visit.

#2 apostrophied, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems unlikely it was a stroke, per se, because that's a blood vessel bursting in the brain, and the effects you're describing, if caused by a stroke, would likely be much longer lasting. However, what you're describing does sound pretty serious, and even though it's been several months, I would strongly suggest getting a medical exam, as it's possible it's something else that may need to be looked after.

4. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with the comments above. It could have been a mini stroke or TIA. My Mom used to get them before she passed away and my Grandma still has them every so often. What you are describing, sounds a lot I witnessed growing up. This is not something to keep from your doctor. Schedule an appointment as soon as possible. I know you said it happened in November, but if it happened once it can happen again. Please go to the doctors office. I witnessed enough growing up to know the signs. For your own health go to the doctors as soon as possible.

5. Foxface

it's not too likely it was a stroke as stroke by blockage or burst have lasting debilitating effects. I am not a medical professional outside of being a former medic. It's possible a cluster headache, severe migraine...but regardless, with your symptoms you need to see a doctor asap...these are not symptoms to mess around with especially with the slurred speech

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could certainly be a transient ischemic attack. If so, you are at a far elevated risk of having a stroke (which would be kind of like that, but permanent). And medical treatment could help, depending on what risk factors led to the TIA.

Alternatively, maybe you had a seizure.

7. Meagan

You might of had a serious migraine or a black out, things like that used to happen to me when I would go from really well lit rooms to dim rooms, or if the water in my shower was too hot. It could also mean you didn't eat enough that day.

8. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll take on board what you guys, suggested, thanks :slight_smile: