1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight-lifting inactivity

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by anthonythegamer, Mar 20, 2014.

1. I'm currently on spring break and it's been a week since I lifted weights. I'm starting to become very concerned about losing my gains. I'm starting to see that my muscles are shrinking, but just a bit.

I've tried working out at home by using my pull-up bar, push-ups, and squats, but I haven't been able to get sore because I couldn't progress higher in weights. It's pretty hard to find things that are small but heavy to work out my triceps. It's also not the same since my friends aren't here to spot me when I work out.

How long will it take for me to lose my gains from inactivity, and will it take just as long to get them back?

2. Ridiculous

You aren't going to have lost any significant amount in one week. One week's rest between exercising each muscle group is pretty standard anyway. If they look like they've shrunk, it's because they've lost the swelling effect that happens after exercise caused by blood rushing to that area - the swelling, usually called a 'pump', is most apparent right after exercise and it does go away quite quickly (like a few hours), but some degree of swelling will remain for the days after as the muscle is being repaired. It'll come back as soon as you exercise again.

You shouldn't lose anything significant until you've been inactive for at least 3+ weeks, or if you've been sick. If you can't work out then make sure you are still eating well and your protein intake is high enough - your body still needs protein to maintain your muscles even if you aren't using them.

If you want to do triceps without weights then I suggest doing tricep dips