1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More of a mental health issue

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by -Michael-, Jul 19, 2008.

1. -Michael-

Ok so im tip-top and ready to hop etc.

But recently i've been really paranoid and my OCD habits are returning.
    Not only that I'm becoming more sadistic everyday.

Okay, ive always been a tad sadistic.
    But now im living off trouble.

If i here a noise behind me or in my house when im alone ill just stop dead and listen, for ages until my mind comes to a conclusion of what the noise was.

About a year ago i started to be rid of my OCD tendancies.
    For example if I did't dot my 'i's properly i had to draw a box around the word and colour in the box with my pen. If i went out of the line i had to draw another box. (You can imagine the teachers reaction)

But now I feel that my grammer has to be perfect. No slurring, No good when wells are appropriate.

Im rambling now as my thoughts are all over....

:slight_smile:

Any suggestions how to calm myself down?

2. NativeDaughter

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You can try to actively recondition your brain. Aside from that, there's really no "quick fix" for OCD.

My suggestion would be to learn how to identify an "OCD moment" as soon as it starts and to actively redirect your attention to something else. Leave the room, switch directions, call a friend and start an unrelated conversation. If you have a good friend or close relative who knows about your compulsive tendencies, see if they wouldn't mind being a daily contact for you. When you feel a compulsion coming on, call them and have them talk you out of it, remind you that something like perfect grammar isn't all-important or even worthy of obsessing over.

For general calming down methods--Well, those can run the gamut. I enjoy going for a run, swimming laps, writing, etc. For really bad moments, I get a huge release out of breaking dishes in the alley behind my apartment (I know, I know, it's crazy...) I go to Goodwill and buy some cheap plates, take them home, and just smash them. It's cathartic, I swear.

When you say you're "sadistic," how do you mean? I'm afraid I don't see the connection between OCD and sadism.

3. Defraction

I do the noise thing. :grin: Only when I don't have an idea for ages what it might be.

Maybe for "dotting the i", you could make a box, but only colour in it lightly, and gradually tone down the colouring until you stop drawing boxes altogether.

I'm sure OCDs are kinda like addictions. Sorry if that's just me being an idiot. :grin: Try to find "healthier" alternatives and ween yourself off of it.

4. Arrk

Thank God I'm not the only who breaks dishes. I go to the back of my house and there is a little alley with a the back of a big storage building and I just throw them against that wall. :|

To help you, I'm suggesting that you immediately try to distract yourself by keeping your hands busy- brushing your teeth, showering, typing stuff out on your calculator, etc.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OCD is something a bit outside my ken. You'll probably need more than kind words from the online gargoyle to help get back on top of these things. Have you seen a therapist about your OCD yet?

Lex

6. -Michael-

Just the fact that i'll cause trouble for people and i'll enjoy watching it unfold.

At that whole WBC thing were they tell dead soliders parents they're in hell...

i find it hilarious.

I dont really feel any sympathy for anyone, especialy not myself.

Im always thinking logicly and not just on a feeling.

7. interstella

About the WBC thing: I laughed my head off when I watched the Jeremy Kyle interview on YouTube. So you're not alone :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Gumtree

Everyone is a perfectionist to some extent.

Paranoia and Fear lead to many things, sadist behaviour often comes from people that have experienced a lot of fear or paranoia in their past and have conquered it in one way or another. Knowing you overcame something or that you can, can subconsciously justify causing similar circumstances for people whom haven't overcome those fears. Are you sure it's really sadistic and just enjoying the attention, results or just people’s reactions to circumstances?

Normally OCD isn't overcome, if when it is, not at an early age and very very rarely returns so perhaps it's something else. There are many behavioural syndromes that can have OCD like habitual coincide with them.

There are a lot of things you can try to calm and relax yourself.

Kara will have some excellent idea's I’m sure.

As posted before, identifying the moment is very effective. When you are paranoid because of a noise you have heard, have you ever stopped and realised that you just being paranoid or is your mind rushing with 'What was that?! What’s going on?!'

Stop and remind yourself of who and what you are and most importantly; where you are.

As for OCD habits; there isn't much I know except there are methods of treatment but most of which require professional help.

The most I can say is hold the moment, identify it as a OCD episode and ask yourself is it really necessary to draw and box, could you move on, do I want to let this HABIT control me?'.

9. silentsound

Well, I have some OCD tendencies too (I can't stand it when my socks don't match, I color code everything, I make elaborate lists, etc.) my Mom the psychologist tells me that I just have to step back and accept that it is not the end of the world if I use the wrong 'there' form and it's ok when my socks don't match. When you catch yourself starting to have a freak out, just step back and take a breath. Remind yourself of what matters and try to separate yourself from what doesn't. Hope I helped some...

10. NativeDaughter

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think that's more a well-developed sense of dark-humor than sadism. I wouldn't say I get off on causing other people discomfort, but I have purposefully started confrontations that would have otherwise remained dormant or non-existant. It just spices things up to get everyone hollering now-and-then.

I find the WBC people hilarious, but maybe not for the same reasons you do (they're just so... Backwater Southern). I find their beliefs to be alarming and vile, but the people themselves are like cartoonish versions of all fundamentalist religious zealots. The best comedy writers in the world couldn't possibly come up with better caricatures of Bible-thumping, ignorant America.

People tend to throw the term "sadism" around as a catch-all for gleefully destructive behavior. Personally, I don't think you're a sadist. Unless there's A LOT of stuff you're not telling us. :wink:

11. unouxx3me

unouxx3me Guest

You may want to go and see a doctor. They can help you with this sort of thing...they'd know more than I do. I just deal with my OCD tendencies, but there is medication for it. Best of luck!