1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So binding while you sleep's no good

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by drwinchester, Mar 23, 2014.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

because of possible damage to the ribs, etc but what about wearing a sports bra?

I've taken to wearing a sports bra to bed because of how bad my top dysphoria can get. In fact, if I'm in any situation where binding's not possible, I'll wear a sports bra to help minimize my chest. It doesn't fully compress my chest (and it's stretched out enough that it's really just holding my chest in) but it's a lot better than nothing.

So the question is, am I just damaging my back/ribs by always wearing a sports bra or binder or am I okay?

2. apostrophied

I'm pretty sure a sports bra is fine. From what I hear, binders are so tight it's a wonder people can still breathe while wearing them, so I think you're right to not wear one to bed.

Lots of people wear bras to bed with no ill effects, so as long as it's not too too tight (which it isn't based on how you describe it), I wouldn't worry.

3. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I wear them when I sleep, I have yet to see permanent damage. I think it's okay.

4. DeLuna

DeLuna Guest

I think its safe

5. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

I often fall asleep with bras on accidentally, and I've never had any problems.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Okay, thanks. So not doing any permanent damage, I hope? I haven't noticed any issues with my back or chest- back pain, but I've always had it, even before I started binding consistently.

Yeah, it's really been helping with my dysphoria so it's good to know, for now, I won't have to stop. It's been about a week since I last wore a binder. Since I can't bind until I move and/or school starts, the sports bras have made the wait a bit more tolerable.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Hey cis lady here, but I want to add that I haven't slept without a bra in over a decade now. It hasn't hurt me to my knowledge. I don't have 'gender dysphoria' but I hate the size of my breasts as well, so it helps me to feel like they aren't even there. I think that could work for transguys too, hey as long as It's easier for you!

8. Maeve

Another ciswoman here, and I always sleep in a bra, usuallly a tight sports bra. It keeps them from knocking around so much, haha. It's pretty common, actually.

9. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ciswoman. I have worn bras to bed before and have not had a problem except when they shift. Heck when I was at camp I wore my swimsuit to bed because they had Morning dip swimming at 7AM, and I went every single day but one, and that was when I broke my nose the day before

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've slept in a sports bra when I really dysphoric. I think that you'll be fine. If it starts hurting though, I would be concerned.

11. Vince

Heheh I've fallen asleep in my binder in a few occasions but mine isn't the typical kind so it's easy to breathe in and stuff. I'll just pass out before I get a chance to take it off, but normally I change into a sports bra. They're great.

12. sharkpool

I'm a girl and i've always worn a bra to sleep. i feel uncomfortable if i don't. i don't think there are bad repercussions unless it is too tight.

13. Cas

Cas

I go to sleep in either a bra or a sports bra - since I was about ten years old, I've never not worn a bra to bed.
    A couple of my friends told me that it was not healthy for me to wear a bra, let alone a sports bra, to bed, but I did some research and asked my doctor. It doesn't harm you or anything.
    You should be fine! I don't think there's much damage that is done.

14. Poe

Poe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My ex slept in his all the time. His was like a tank top though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

15. Niko

I've slept with a sports bra on for years, and no permanent damage done. I only stopped because my back and shoulders were getting really knotted and it was quite painful. But other than that, it was fine.