1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mood Swings

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Time, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Time

I've been having really bad mood swings and overall heightened emotions recently. One minute I'm fine, the next I'm super pissed over something really stupid, and then I'm horribly sad and on the verge of tears because I'm disturbing the people around me and I feel bad about it. I experience this cycle of emotions every single day.

The other day I was uncontrollably antsy and for lack of a better term, hyper. I tried my best to calm down but I couldn't. And then once I finally came off of that, I felt drained.

It seems to only be when I'm around others. Sitting alone in my room, I'm fine. I don't know what's wrong. But it's interfering with my relationship and friendships. If anyone has any advice at all, that would be great.

2. xxAngelOnFirexx

Well to my that totally sounds like bipolar disorder to me. I was diagnosed with it for having the same symtoms. in one day i'd be jumping around excited and super happy and by night i was suicidal. You should try talking to your parents about these symtoms and maybe get some medications. I hate taking mine but its the only way to get better and past the symtoms.

3. panda

The best thing would be to see a doctor.Describe your symptoms to him/her .It's a good idea to write it all down as well, so that they'll be better able to make a proper diagnosis.
    Don't be afraid to ask for help.In the long run it'll give you a better life.

#3 panda, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  4. Vampyrecat

I would also advise getting a blood test done. Sometimes, if we're vitamin deficient, especially in I think it's B12, it can seriously affect your moods and emotions.

Go to the doctors, describe every hairy little detail, and ask for a full blood work up. The results on your bloods may take a couple of weeks, but it is better to find out and be sure.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what Panda said. Keep track of your emotions and go see a doctor, they'll help you get back to your old self and keep things calm and under control for you.

6. unouxx3me

unouxx3me Guest

I agree too with both of them. Even if you just go to your general doctor and not a psychiatrist they can help you figure out what is going on, or refer you to another person who will give you a proper diagnosis and the medication you may need. Otherwise you may just be going through hormonal changes.

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd agree that going to a doctor is probably the best thing to do. It might seem intimidating, but a doctor's probably the person who'll be most likely to find an answer.

8. Ohhh! That happens to me but on a much lesser lever. I wonder...

*gulps*

=X

9. Nick

I've been going through sort of the same thing, except I find it's more when I'm alone that my emotions change rapidly (Less than an hour ago, I was super happy and now i'm feeling like crap and crying).

Also, at school, instead of being the normal, quiet kid, I've been getting more vocal and (unfortunately) a little bit more violent. Although, I only punch people who deserve it like people who use the word "gay" like it means "crappy" (and I've been writing g.i.n.a.s.f.s. on my hand and showing it to them before i punch them so maybe they remember) and (surprise, surprise) it is the people who call me names ("emo" and "homo) and push me into lockers. This happens most days, too. (Sometimes I feel like I'm about this far [--] away from snapping...)

The weird thing is, despite what I mentioned in the previous paragraph, I rather enjoy school, if only because it distracts me from things.

Sorry if you feel like I've tried to hijack this thread, I haven't meant to deliberately...

10. Bryan

umm... when i was 14, i has a mood swing every 2 seconds. Once puberty is done, you'll be alot better. that's a promise.

11. Ty

Ty Guest

Thats what I was thinking.

I think its a bit early to start throwing out things like bipolar and other such serious stuff.

If its really bothering you then see a doctor, but i'd just say its just teh hormones.

12. Bookmarked

On the subject of doctors (though I might be a little late) I wouldn't see a doctor about it until I was fairly sure it was a mental health problem. My reasoning behind that is that doctors generally tend to be prescription-happy rather than therapy-happy. And some of those drugs they can give you have nasty side effects, because you're messing with your brain chemistry in a major way, they can literally scar you life. Therapy is preferable, but it can be very time consuming without achieving all that much.

My advice is to sleep on it, see if it gets better or worse, then see a doctor. And don't feel pressured into doing what your doctor ends up saying-lots of people forget that it's what you want that the doctor has to do.

13. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I would advise seeing a doctor, but I agree with the more recent posters that you should be wary of taking any medication. All of us go through a stage when our hormones make our emotions go up and down, but if you use medication to suppress that natural (sorry, but it's true) part of puberty, your brain begins fire signals more rapidly to make up for the suppression of its activity by the drugs. This means that the drug will slowly lose effectiveness and your brain's default modus operandi will become like what you are experiencing now, but worse. This means that the problems you have now could be extended into your adulthood. Mood swings are a part of teenage life, but if you use medication to deal with them, you may end up dealing with them for a much longer time.

14. Trumpetplyer23

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but a doctor is the only route to go.

Sure, teens experience mood swings, but these are EXTREME, even for teenagers.

Oh, and if you are bi-polar, just a little warning, you will feel like you don't have to take your medication after awhile, because you feel good. But that's not true, if you stop taking your meds, then you'll fall right back in that cycle. Also, don't self-medicate with drinking, I know that you can never solve anything by drinking, but if you're off your meds and drinking, well, you can really get messed up emotionally and could even hurt someone or yourself.

15. silentsound

The wise thing to do would be to see a doctor who can talk to you about possibly having bipolar disorder or some other brand of imbalance. I know this sounds scary and you don't want to self-diagnose too fast, but it is important to get it under control now before it spins out of control. Go to the doctor before someone has to bring you to one because you totally went off (in severe cases this really does happen I have heard all the stories from my psycho-therapist mother) But really don't stress, treatment isn't hard or painful if you do have a chemical disorder, but who knows you may well just be experiencing a serge of hormones which will pass soon. Best of luck!