1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My twin has Endometriosis

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by phoenix89, Mar 24, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My twin sister is getting diagnosed with Endometriosis . It is a very painful decease of the uterus. Endometriosis can be managed but there is no cure. I was really hoping that it was going to skip this generation but we were not so lucky. My Great-Grandma, my Grandma, my Aunt, my Mom and now my sister have all been diagnosed with it. My Mom managed to have five kids with it, her first nearly killed her, and to add insult to her injury, she put him up for adoption. Then she tried again 8 years later and had 4 more, but by this time she had 1/8 of her ovaries. They had removed all but a quarter of one of them.

This might be my life soon. I do not have insurance so I cannot even go to the doctors, because unless it is rather obvious, like it is with my sister, the only way to get an official diagnosis is with surgery.

2. Gen

Gen

I'm really sorry to hear that. (*hug*)

I'm unfamiliar with the disease; what would happen if you do indeed have it and you don't experience symptoms nor do the the surgery? Does it progress into something more severe? Would you not know unless you entered pregnancy?

3. Nick07

I am sorry, phoenix (*hug*)

4. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. The symptoms start first. Excessive bleeding, excessive cramping, irregular cycles with irregular bleeding(I have this symptom already), pelvic and lower back pain, and painful sex. One can often develop ovarian cyst, which if they can be quiet dangerous. In addition, if it is not caught in time and treated, infertility is a common out come, as the eggs will be destroyed by the cysts. In addition, the cysts can keep growing over and over. There are very few ways that it can be managed without surgery if cysts do develops, and often there is a need for repeat surgery. Since there is no cure, the focus turns to delaying cyst growth and pain management. This is done with birth control, surgery and pain meds, so even if someone does not become infertile, they still might have to take birth control. Thus still not allowing them to have children

Some know before, some do not. It's tricky. Luckily my sister does not want kids, but I do. So if I do get diagnosed it can it be dangerous, my Mom nearly died with her first child. They couldn't stop the bleeding. She had a full hysterectomy at the age of 34 to stop the symptoms, my Aunt and grandma had the same thing, they went through menopause a lot younger as well. My Mom was 34 when her's started.

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you two identical?

6. newfish

I'm sorry to hear that. And with any luck you won't have it.

7. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, we are identical.

Thanks, I hoping for that too. Right now it scary, I am praying for the best, but the odds are really stacked against me at this point.