1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adhd

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by artist92, Mar 27, 2014.

1. artist92

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would I go about seeing if I actually have it? I mean, I know I do, but if I get it diagnosed maybe they could give me something to help calm it down. I've had it for a long time, but it's only affecting me negatively now. I'm trying to start my own video and art design company, but I can never sit for more than 3-4 minutes before Im pacing and walking up and down the room. I can't be productive like this.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are educational psychologists or learning centers populated by trained professionals who could administer the standard tests for ADHD/ADD. I took this test in 2007 after my daughter was found to have it. Her particularities were familiar to me so I had myself tested and sure enough I have a moderate ADD profile.

I hesitate to use the words "condition" and "diagnosis" as I don't believe this is a pathology or disease, it is an aspect of ourselves that works well in some contexts (creative endeavours) and not so well in others (like concentrating on one task for longer periods of time). The best way I can describe it is that ADD is a kind of gift whose value can be enhanced with a little help from the therapeutic options that are out there.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Talking to your doctor would probably be the first step. They may have some referrals for people who can do a formal diagnostic assessment.

I was diagnosed at age 8 and I've found a way to get through it, so if it turns out you do have it don't panic.

4. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first thing to do is to go to your doctor. They can then refer you on for assessment. Unfortunately this can be a very long process. They thought my son had ADHD, but after going through a long proceeds (I'm talking years here) of assessment he had not been referred for autism assessment, which is still on going.

If you do get diagnosed with ADHD, medication is usually only a last resort. They tent to go down the psychological route with behaviour modification and coping techniques as well as other support.

Hope this helps...

Happy days :slight_smile: