1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mtf hormones and having kids?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Maaria, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Maaria

Greetings to ya all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum (first time around here), but I'm sure kind moderators can correct me if I erred :slight_smile:

So, the question; my husband is planning on starting the hormones to change from male to female - no surgery is planned or wanted by him. And I wonder/worry, whether this will stop us from having kids? Does anyone here have knowledge or experience, whether the hormone therapy will change his biology so much, that we can't concieve anymore?

There's a bunch of other questions (most coming back to "couldn't you have told a bit earlier than 10 years in to the relationship?"), but that's the one I'm most concerned. The rest is just perceptions, but I always imagined that one day we could have kids. And if that option is taken off the board completely, I'm not sure I'm alright with it.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

She will need to deposit sperm into a bank before starting Hormone Therapy, as it will kill her sperm and prevent any more from being made, regardless of if she gets surgery or not. If you have anymore questions let me know ok?

3. Maaria

Thank you! By gods that was a speedy reply; I am trying to learn more about all this when hubby (he? She? More things to get used to) aint around, since he feels akward talking about it. Thus I have to be stealthy and fast with the close-button.

Another question then, while able to post;
    How fast is the transition? Are we talking of weeks? Months? And how much will it affect the mental side? I'd imagine that the bouts of depression will be less, due to having less stress about appearances, but will the hormones affect actual temperament or personality?

4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Hormones take months to physical change a person, however when he starts living as a she you will see noticeable decreases in depression. The hormones will affect him just as he was a woman in two-three months, He will start having mood swings (once a month just like you), and everything a period brings except the bleeding.
    Additionally you may notice a change in his body shape, as Hormones re-deposit fat early on.