1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is bareback safe for a commited couple?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lil legs, Mar 30, 2014.

1. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my and my bf are wondering, how safe is bareback? even once we get fully checked for sti's/std's, because we know there is alot of harmful bacteria in that area and obviously getting any of that on a penis can cause infection, so how safe is bareback and if there's a way to make inside cleaner thus safer? thanks

2. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been doing it with my boyf for 4 months now and we've had no problems. Neither of us have STIs or know other gay people so there's very little chance of it. I have heard someone mention UTIs on here and I'd be interested to hear what people say about that because in unsure myself.
    Conclusion: if you are COMMITTED it's safe but I can't answer about UTIs

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couple different issues:

1. UTIs are a genuine concern, and are a lot more common in couples that bareback than those that don't.

2. The unfortunate but accurate statistic is that one of the biggest single sources of new HIV infections is within committed, monogamous couples. In other words, a couple where they both commit to being monogamous and one of them cheats on the other.

I personally know of a half-dozen horror stories of the above. One of the saddest is a 20 year old guy (let's call him Jim) who was a virgin before getting his first boyfriend (Let's call him Tom). They agreed to be monogamous, and were both tested, and decided to bareback. Some 6 months or so later, Jim goes in for a routine physical which includes an HIV test... which comes back positive. Jim talks to Tom. Tom admits cheating on Jim, but Tom had no idea he was HIV+.

Jim, who was a virgin before meeting Tom, and thought he was taking precautions, and had a partner he could trust, ended up with a lifelong incurable condition, for which he now takes daily medications. All because he decided not to use condoms for sex, something that, when used correctly, is an almost imperceptible difference from barebacking.

It's a risk each person must choose for him or herself. It's not a risk I'd take.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boyfriend and I will have been together for three years in a couple weeks and we always use condoms. Every single time. He was a virgin when we got together romantically, me not so much, and really, there's always the chance until we get married that we won't be together forever, and so it's necessary to take precautions.

5. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    do you know how to reduce the risk of UTI's? obviously not going bareback every time we have sex but what about once every few months?

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To contemplate bareback you need to have the highest level of trust in your partner. It's clearly a risk and you need to fully understand that - some will take the risk, some most definitely will not. I don't think anyone can really advise you on this, it is an issue that completely divides opinion.

7. Mrcake

I think that you should use a condom all the time, unless you are in a monogamous relationship for years - married, romantic partner, etc.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To quote a legal principle established over 2000 years ago in the Talmudic tractate: Gittin, "no one can guarantee the sexual behaviour of another"

In its original context, this was related to questions surrounding grounds for divorce but is most applicable here too; sex is too powerful a force and HIV is too serious a disease to leave it to trust.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. Reason is the risk of urinary tract infection for the penetrating partner...

Learn to love assfucking with a condom. Modern science is awesome for letting us enjoy guys' butts safely.

10. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks for your replies guys, I can see HIV is a big risk and i can very much understand why, I know it's a huge problem, I do want to state that i fully trust my boyfriend as he does with me. and we will be getting tested for everything we can before even having sex with a condom on for the first time, so assuming we are both clean from sti's/d's then I trust that he will not contract it with another sexual partner without my knowledge. our concern now is more about UTI's, we've read the nhs website about them but feel like we're missing something, are they something to really worry about, as to me a little uncomfort for a few days, and we wont contract a UTI every time, is something which i think could be worth the risk.

11. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. Hopefilled

After enough YEARS.. yeah if you still weigh UTI's

Lest we forget- Things can be transmitted that neither partner in a 100% zero other sexuality situation "got sexually" examples of yeah- normal bowel bacterias etc, and when you add transfusions ets- Bareback is not "Zero Risk" for UTI's if nothing else... Even if- we're hyper zealous in cleansing our lower rears- it's simply not sane to expect we can disinfect it absent grim health consequences. My masturbation precleaning habits are a balance between not wanting mess and bad memories of how horribly painful any irritation back there can be.

Yeah, there's a romanticism of wanting to feel them shoot and some folks even get a high from knowint their lover has left traces in them. If you want to be romantic by MY rules- consider that as grounds to be monogamous enough years for safety:>

Your rules on romance may vary but please never lose sight of mutual safety both emotionally and health factors.

When you look at *Long Latency* diseases the numbers of YEARS that one needs to have been 100% single pairing is a serious consideration. To be honest- even if we've had that fabled love at first sight= no sexuality with anyone but the one person- and that is symmetrical so there's a REAL: ZERO case of a STD being SEXUALLY transmitted, we're still back to Avoidable UTI's.

13. MAXWELL45

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have yet to have sex with a guy, but so want my first time to be bareback. I want my first time to be feeling skin on skin and him shooting inside of me. That would be an amazing first time experience. However, I am big on keeping myself safe. There is no way any desire or wants will ever over rule my safety. If bareback puts me at risk, then as much as I am not keep on it, it’s condoms on or no sex. Safety is always first because it makes the biggest difference.

14. danbyization171

Sorry I know this isn't my thread however I just stumbled across it and started reading it.

But when I got to your post hopefilled, I couldn't really understand what you are saying can you please explain it again.

15. emkorora

emkorora Guest

I want to point out three things, but before doing so, I want to remind the OP that this path is his to walk, and his alone.

1) All of our parents barebacked. I suspect the majority of our parents are alive, still, with no sex-induced health risks.

2) Entering a relationship while doubting the potential partner sounds, to me, like a very poor way to establish any form of trust.

3) As someone who has their fair-share of medical trauma, I assure you that there are far more life-threatening diseases and conditions out there that cannot be prevented-- no matter how little sex you have, how "green" you eat, or how much exercise you employ.

Do all of these reasons culminate into the conclusion that barebacking is okay? No. However, they are things to consider.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok,

1. HIV is still more prevalent in gay men than among straight couples, in part because the risk of infection is a bit higher with anal sex than with vaginal. Additionally, depending on your parents' age, HIV and Hep-C were not big risk issues until the mid-1980s People who were in their teens and early 20s in the 1970s and early 80s (and were straight) did not have the risks that people gay and straight have today.

2. Obviously one should not enter a relationship with someone they don't trust. However, as I've illustrated above, the most trusted partners can cheat, and, in fact, the current highest transmission rate is among committed monogamous couples. Trust, but take precautions anyway.

3. We cannot control many other factors that can cause or contribute to development of serious illness, but we absolutely can reduce the risk of HIV close to zero by one simple thing: using a condom. There's no reason not to.

Lil legs: It seems pretty clear you're looking for rationalization or justification to bareback. Bottom line: There isn't any. But if, to you, the risk of getting a disease that's incurable and currently involves being on medication that has a lot of nasty side effects for a lifetime in exchange for the nearly imperceptible difference between properly using a condom and barebacking, that's your choice and no one can stop you. But don't expect anyone who understands the risk/reward ratio to tell you there's nothing wrong with it or that it's a sensible choice.

17. emkorora

emkorora Guest

@Chip,

While I wholeheartedly endorse and promote the careful consideration of sex (as a general idea-- including more specific aspects such as barebacking), I was merely providing some alternative insight. I do not appreciate my response being so undermined and denounced as it was. To my knowledge, each point of mine is refutable, as I clearly outlined-- there may be underlying reasons, explanations, or causes for the claims I made, but they nevertheless remain subject to each of my own imperfections (as we all have).

Just as both posts of yours also remain true through your perspective. Unless you are a licensed medical practitioner, it would be unjust to provide such an absolute recommendation for what he should do. Clearly, I know nothing of your expertise, but your opinions are not scholarly or professional.*

This said, I do agree with the points you've made too, Chip. Therefore, I will simply tell the OP that I would not take such a risk if were I in his shoes-- to "err on the side of caution." But, again, this decision is his and I hope he chooses a path which will make him happiest with whatever consequences that may follow suit. And there are, also, always opinions to contrast either stance on any topic.

*Only IF you are not a licensed medical practitioner. If you are, however, then your claims deserve the legitimate consideration that your title and credentials bestow upon you.

18. danbyization171

I dont see how there is a tiny difference between using a condon and going barebacj. I see many differences one being the feeling of skin on skin yes I know u said before about there being inly a tiny dufference. And what about cumming inside I am sure there us a difference vetween feeling ur partner cum inside u with a condom on and bareback.

Just my thoughts on this.

19. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to reply to your reply quickly chip in saying that I don't think getting HIV is worh the risk, but me and my bf will probably only do it once a year if say we get tested once a year sort of thing and if tests come back negative then we can do it once shortly after and not again until a retest, would you advise that in any way?

20. Hopefilled

Ok- to explain myself in blunt terms.

Death is the ultimate buzzkill of all. Lingering diseases are a close runner up and some of them end up as yeah, DEAD. Barrier methods are simplest fact- a dramatic RISK REDUCTION and the reverse is more true. Sexual contact inherently is a set of risks that we accept or ignore- or manage.

Any act of meat touching meat has an inherent risk of bioactive stuff getting transferred and saying otherwise is not sane. It thence becomes a case of Risk to Reward evaluation.

Is Bareback worth dying for?

Is it worth any other consequences?

Is it worth an UTI?

That's not the last words. I can make this one phase with a meme to capstone this whole thread.

No matter how romantic Bareback is- Death is unconcerned with romance.

*The avoidable last words are what one says when dying avoidably*