1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitness Plan for a Beginner?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Browncoat, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I finally ventured into a gym - now my issue is what to do there...

Does anyone have any tips or maybe fitness plans for someone that's never really used a gym before? I've searched online and essentially found stuff like this, but I don't know how much stock to put in it.

And I guess beyond that I just had a few random questions:

1. Are there any particular times considered "optimal" for a workout? Specifically, how soon before attempting to go to sleep could someone get away with working out?

2. How do you know how much to lift for sets, anyways?

3. Would there be a likely difference in workout required to merely "be healthy" instead of actually losing weight. (Guess I should mention here that I'm overweight - so shedding fat).

2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my experience I would suggest the following:

Start with plenty of cardio: just do cardio from the outset. It gets your fitness up and burns away unwanted fat. Don't use weights or resistance machines too early, as you need to build some muscle endurance. This will also avoid overloading yourself leading to injury.

After a reasonable amount of sessions, when you fell your fitness improving (this is different for everyone. Look for increase in how long you can go without tiring out), then move onto light training and resistance machines if you wish.

From their, it is up to you where you take your regime depending on what you are trying to achieve. It's often a good idea to ask the fitness staff at your gym for advice.

Key things to remember:

Always warm up and cool down before excercise. 5-10 min medium to fast pace walk on treadmill is adequate. Light jog is also ok, but start with walk.

Always stretch. Look for a good stretch routine. If unsure ask...

Work core muscles. Sit ups, butterfly's, you get whys I mean. Do this every session.

Adequate rest. Don't feel you have to go every day. Your body needs time to recover and heal/build muscle.
    These things should help avoid injury and so will reduce time spent away from exercising.

Hope this helps

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. Silver Sparrow

1) For timing, I believe you aren't supposed to work out for a few hours before sleep (getting your heart rate up and the other effects of workouts can make it hard to go to sleep. However, the amount of time is different for everyone.