1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible concussion: thought please

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gates, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I was hoping to find out if anyone has experienced these symptoms either following head or neck trauma or independent of them:

- Disconnected from body, especially visual input (like light-headed kind of... but basically, everything just feels distant and dull)
    - Transposing letters/ numbers (i.e., if you think: type "her" and instead, you type "here" or "iwhle" instead of "while")
    - Requiring extra effort to speak properly
    - Severe fatigue
    - Transient dizziness

However

- My eyes track, no nystigmus, no change in dilation
    - CT came back normal, neck x-rays came back normal
    - Headache has mostly subsided and is now mostly and feeling of pressure (but see above)
    - My PT is progressing normally

It's been nearly a month since I hit a median in the road at ~30 MPH, didn't lose control of the vehicle, didn't hit anything physically in car, didn't lose consciousness, and didn't have cognitive impairment for ~48 hours after the event.

My neurologist thought that the impact was not enough to generate a concussion, however, I've had 7 concussions prior to this so, the force required to generate one may be low enough that this crossed the threshold. I've had the disconnected problem before without trauma but it only lasted for two weeks.

Has anyone suffered similar symptoms and if so, what helped? How long did they take to resolve? What were you diagnosed with?

Help. :frowning2:

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only had one concussion in my life, and that was the minor part of my injury at the time. I didn't have any head/mental issues past when the doctor's said I would.
    So unfortunately, I'm not of much help on the experience side.

However, I will be blunt when I say -
    Go to your doctor, please!

3. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, have been going to doctors repeatedly!

4. Nick07

Maybe you could look up whiplash injury. As far as I know you need a special device to detect it.
    But it can be something else. Are your bloodtests ok?

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know someone who had similar symptoms, not a car accident but after a serious case of e-coli, not sure if it's the toxins or the heavy duty antibiotics that were at cause. Some of the symptoms went away over time, but I think letter/number transposition is still an issue occasionally, it's almost like some variation of dyslexia. I'd go with Nick07's suggestion of having bloodwork done to rule out something other than impact-induced trauma (as much as internet diagnosis is dubious at best and dangerous at worse).