1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing for blood clots

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by beckyg, Jul 24, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Last night I had pain in my chest that radiated through to my back for three hours. It wasn't getting any better even after taking some medication for heartburn and putting ice on it twice. I thought maybe I'd pulled a muscle because I was putting together end tables yesterday. I put the wrong screws in the drawer and it was a bugger getting them back out again and I was straining pretty hard trying to do that.

So then I got worried that I was having a heart attack. So I went to E.R. They did an EKG and blood tests. They said my heart looked fine but the one test they did to determine if it was a blood cot came back slightly elevated. He said 600 is normal and mine was 630. He said normally people a blood cot have an elevation of about 1000 so he didn't think it would warrant a cat scan right then but we needed to watch it. So my question is how can they tell if you have a blood clot from a blood test? He didn't explain that to me.

He sent me home after a couple hours with a diagnosis of either irrated nerves in my back due from the end table incident or "costochondritis".

2. sexyalex

Isn;t that tietze's? I think it's ether tietze's or well, this si gonna sound weid but; gas pains.

Well you did say they did EKG tests and ur heart was fine, chancess are its gas pains. I had pain in my back once and i could have sworn it was probebly from a straigned muscle but at the end of the day, i go to the doctoer, all he gave me was pain tablets which STILL did not work. Then i by the following day afternoon it was gone. and my dad said it was because of gas pains...

....which do happen not because of what u eat, but when u eat.:astonished:

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I took medication for heartburn/gas and the pain didn't subside so they ruled that out.

4. Tom

Tom Guest

Blood clots can be found from a blood test by comparing the ratio of blood plasma to red blood cells to platelets. platelets are red blood cells which have reached the end of their lives and have broken into smaller parts which serve to clot the blood. if a clot is present the number of platelets will be lower than what the expected ratio is.

Usually blood will clot where a vessel is damaged, the platelets will become 'sticky' and collect around the cut, the platelets and the surrounding damaged tissue will then release clotting factors I-XIII (1-13) which cause a series of chemical reactions to occur and help to clot the blood where required. the final stage of this is where clotting factor I (called fibrinogen which is a soluble protein) is converted into fibrin which is strand like. these strands then form a mesh and this traps the platelets and red blood cells, these then form the clot.

There are also anti-clotting chemicals in the vessels and these prevent the blood from clotting when there is no damage to the vessel, and there are more anti-clotting chemicals than clotting chemicals so clots should not form unless the vessel is damaged and more clotting factors are released. there are certain things that can make clots occur in vessels though, a few examples are where platelets become sticky and clump together around fatty materials (atheroma) in the arteries, if this occurs near the heart or brain then it can induce a heart attack or stroke, if the blood flow becomes slower than usual then it is more likely that clots will occur and this is the cause of deep vein thrombosis. there can also b genetic factors involved where blood clots easier than usual or not as often as it should and this gives rise to a few disorders. medicines can also increase the rate at which blood clots and make it more likely to happen and if your liver is damaged thn this could increase the chances of a clot. the liver creates some of the chemicals used to prevent clots from forming.

well this was slightly longer than i planned but it provides alot of the info that you might be curious about, and i wanted to see if i cud remember it all from my biology lessons. and once again my memory has served me well ^^

-gives memory a muffin-

#4 Tom, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You need two muffins Tom! That was very helpful, thank you!

6. Antrioss

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've had that problem for about a year, but I'm semi-fit. I get out once in a while, but I don't really exercise. I just get a small, congested feeling in my chest probably once every couple months. I'm sure its due to my sedentary lifestyle.

7. BoiCub

Also realize that when you get gassy, it can extend the interior walls and strain those internal muscles and cause pains to set in when you think it's one thing it's just those muscles having coniptionfits because they got over stressed and over stretched. Also ask about getting some smooth interior muscle relaxors. Geesh I can't remember the name for them, but it's a blue pill used for digestive issues. I have huge IBS and Gallbladder issues and have these problems regularly.