1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long do you sleep?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kimi, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Kimi

Well, the title says all...
    So how many hours do you sleep?

If you could tell me when do you go to bed and get up...
    I feel like I'm having unhealthy sleeping behaviors...
    I usually go to bed at 4 am and get up at 7 am if it's a school day...
    And if it's weekend, then I go to bed around 5 or 6 and wake up at 6 pm...

I had sleeping problems just till few month ago but now I'm fine but still having relic of that time:icon_conf

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I really need 7 to 8 hours sleep - though I don't always get it. I tend to get 6-7 hours a night during the week and catch up at the weekend.

Weekdays, in bed by about 11:30, read for a bit so asleep by 12:30, alarm wakes me at 7:00.

Weekends, in bed and asleep at around the same times, wake up naturally at around 9:00 to 9:30.

I find it better to stick to similar times at weekends and holidays, otherwise it gets really difficult to readjust. If I am off work for a week or so I will set the alarm for 9:00 otherwise going to bed and getting up tend to drift gradually later.

I am no expert, but I don't think your sleeping patterns are at all healthy. You definitely need to get to bed earlier on school days, and indeed every day.

3. CM1989

Not nearly enough as I should.
    Weekdays: 11:30-7:30
    Weekends: Until I wake up.:grin:

4. blake21

sleep i dont get to much of that sometimes i work from 430pm to 430am 3 days a week then go to class from 900am to 300pm 3 days and 1000am to 400pm the other 2 so on the days i work around 3 hours the other days around 6-7 hours

5. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    im a night owl sometimes. On school nights im into bed by 10pm and have to be up by 7.30am. on weekends upto midnight, 1-2am and sleep in, sometimes as late as 11am. :lol:

6. SpikySpice

I usually go to sleep AT 2AM, and wake up at 6 on school days. That's why I love Stas, I can wake up at any time i like. Sometimes 2 pm, I remember one time I woke up at 4, lol, cuz I always stay home alone.

I never get myself in bed before 1am. I dont know why, but honestly I stop online at twelve, and have a liitle supper before going to turn down the light.

7. Micah

I find I concentrate a lot better in my classes if Ive had a full 8-9 hours sleep, though I generally only get 6-7. It makes a huge difference for me though.

But if I'm not doing anything that requires me to learn (ie - going to clubs / parties) then I can get away with quite a lot less :slight_smile:

8. Kimi

Hmm...I guess I definetely need to get more sleep regularly:eusa_doh:

Though how you guys manage to go to bed before 12 am...
    If it's ok with you to tell could you tell me what is your schedule for weekday...

I feel like I'm asking really stupid question...Oh well

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It becomes a routine - rather like staying up until 4am has become a routine to you.

What I suggest you do is try to go to bed half an hour earlier next week, then half an hour earlier the following week etc. Set a time and stick to it though - don't think "just another few minutes online..." or it'll never happen.

Aim for about the same time at the weekends too, otherwise you will break the routine you are trying to get yourself into.

When you get to the point that you are waking up at the right time feeling refreshed and not tired by the end of the week (so needing to sleep through the weekend), you've probably found about the right time to go to bed.

10. 94nat

Sometimes about 10 hours a night but couldn't sleep much tonight so here I am. :slight_smile:

11. TriBi

During the week I'm lucky to get 6 hrs. Weekends might be slightly longer (but not much).

Every so often I'll just fall in a heap and sleep for about 9hrs...then I'll start all over again...I don't like spending too much time asleep when I could actually be DOING things tho'...

12. Jerr

I go to sleep... if I do... around 4am and I wake up and start geting ready for school at 5 am...

on weekeneds i go to sleep around the same time and i wake up at like 7-10 am ...

I don't sleep well... I wake up constantly the few hours I do sleep... i usually lay awake for hours lol i laugh but it is really horrible

13. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Usually I go to sleep about 11PM and wake at 5AM. 6 hours seems to do me ok for the most part, but now and again I get the luxury of sleeping in until 6 AM.

For the most part getting about 7-8 hours of sleep is the norm and most function better with those hours. The problem with late sleep takers combined with early rising is the brain function isn't as good as it could be. We may think we are doing ok, but testing has shown that cognitive abilities are off, thinking is slow and eye/hand coordination is significantly off. Another thing with late sleep takers is it screws up the circadian rhythm and if allowed to keep going, will take you around the clock. With some it becomes a bad habit and seems once the sun comes up, it is time for bed (vampire anyone?). One other thing is staying up late and not having proper exposure to the sun can lead to depression. Something similar happens to people who live where I do, when in winter we have only a few hours of sunlight, a situation called SAD (Seasonal Affect Disorder) where depression, sleepiness and strong urges for carbs happens. Once the sun returns these go away but can cause very significant problems.

The best thing to do is to establish a sleep taking time and stick to it as much as possible (exceptions are the occasional ok) and wake at the same time each day. With doing this you can find out for yourself how many hours work best for you, but also establishes a good habit.

What Paul has suggested above for the late sleep takers in order to change is best, go to bed earlier over time and you shouldn't have much problem.

#13 JayHew, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  14. Kimi

Thanks guys!
    I'm try to go bed earlier and get more sleep:thumbsup:

Actually, I went to bed at 11 pm yesterday(!)

15. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    to be honest at the moment i've been getting around 6 or 7 hours sleep. Which doesn't seem like enough, am always tired. But with the life I lead, if I had more than 6 or 7 hours sleep i'd not have any 'play time'. Making life very dull. In the summer though I always make sure i'm up by 06:00 for a run before work.

However, just last year I used to have more like 1-2 hours sleep. I was like a walking zombie suffering from a fair amount of insomnia, as a result of always having things on my mind. Unfortunately that led to lack of concentration in school, a fall in grades and as such I pretty much gave up all hope during my second year of sixth form. In fact during some A level exams i'd just done another all nighter, so was hard pushed to remember anything. If you can try and stay away from this sort of sleep pattern.

16. tired_of_lying411

I usually fall asleep reading at 12:30 - 1:00 (sometimes later if I'm not tired)
    and I wake up at 7:45 during the week for school, and between 9:00 and 10:00 on the weekend.

17. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i also forgot to mention that i sleep walk sometimes. :eusa_doh:

18. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I try to aim for in bed by midnight, and up at 6:45 on school nights. On weekends, bed at 1 (or later if going out) and up at 9 or so. I've tried getting up earlier on weekends but I just can't do it.

Though sometimes I really slip and start going to bed at 2 during the week. I notice it the next morning.

Big thing to help I find is shutting off the computer early. It's waaay too easy to kill time surfing the net when I should be asleep. I find if I shut off the computer and the TV, and start dimming the lights early, I notice that I'm actually sleepy and want to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

As far as Seasonal Affect Disorder, I try to get outside "early" in the day for a walk, and right now I'm working in a Windowless office with dim lights, so that doesn't help, so I try to go for a walk in the sunlight after work.

19. GoodOlMe

I get into bed like 10:30, but by the time I actually go to sleep its probably around 11 - 11:30. Then I wake up at 6:30, so that gives me around 7 1/2 hours, but usually I wake up a couple times a night, so that brings it down to around probably 6 1/2, but it only feels like a minute when you gotta get up and go to school :frowning2:

20. shain250

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i sleep around 4-5 hours i have a hard time sleeping when i get a sleep its always seems its time to get up to go to work or school