1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably MENTAL eating disorder (in kgs and cms)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gentlady, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many of my friends have said they are worried about me. I'm 172cm and 59kg, but I think of myself as fat. I am not comfortable enough with my body to wear shorts or short skirts without leggings(though, in my opinion shorts with leggings don't look too good). I take a walk every day and try to get thinner - I don't eat much, I don't feel hungry. And that causes me to feel dizzy when I stand up. I haven't talked about this to anyone, since the only friend I could've talked to is not my friend anymore and she would've probably felt offended because she is bigger and shorter than me. My sister would only roll her eyes and my mom would act like when I tried to tell her I'm bi - "stop it right now"...

2. anonym

anonym Guest

I have been through this myself in the past. I didn't seek help and my family, neighbors, friends (basically everyone) was worried about me. It went on for 4 years. I knew it was making me ill. I had tooth decay, heart palpitations, poor circulation and stomach cramps from abusing laxative substances. No matter what anyone said, I wouldn't take any notice. One day I weighed myself and I was 1.60m, age 23 and weighed 43.81kg and I was shocked. This was the wake up call I needed to make me change my eating habits. I chose not to get help with it and managed to beat it on my own. I started making sure I ate 3 meals a day and gradually increased my food intake and my weight got back up to a healthy level. I still get anxious about my weight at times and I think it will never be completely gone but I now know that my weight issues were partly connected to my gender dysphoria so now when I think I'm fat, I can just tell myself it's the dysphoria.

I'm telling you this because what I'm trying to say is that the change needs to come from you. I know from the fact you have posted this thread that you do want to put a stop to this. You wouldn't be telling us about it otherwise. How you do this is up to you but I'm guessing from what you've told us about your friend, mum and sister that you're looking for some support. How would you feel about speaking to a counsellor about it?

3. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am seeing a psychologist, and I think that one good step forward would be to tell him first, but everytime I try to tell him about the uncertainty of finding out I'm bi or the worry about my weight, I find myself having a fight inside my head and end up not being able to say it out loud.

4. Nick07

My numbers are almost the same. Same problems. Have you had your blood tests done?

5. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No

6. Nick07

Then do it. The regular blood test and iron deficiency and possible anemia. Your body can be anemic for years, but when it crashes it's awful :frowning2:

7. anonym

anonym Guest

Yes it would be a good idea to tell him if you feel you're able to. I know it's difficult to tell even counsellors/psychologists/doctors about anything like that. If you find it difficult to say out loud, write down what you want to say on a piece of paper before you see him and if you can't bring yourself to tell him, have the paper ready to hand over. And remember, psychologists are used to hearing all kinds of things so I would bet he wouldn't be at all surprised if you are worried about his reaction. I remember when I wanted to tell my counsellor that I thought I was a lesbian, I thought the world would end if I did but it was nothing like I expected.

8. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe I should, he has given me a paper in which I can write down answers to several questions, and they all consider a situation. So I could put the situation as realising I'mbi, or something...
    Well what did your counsellor say?

9. anonym

anonym Guest

I can't remember what she said exactly but she wasn't shocked or anything when I told her about my sexuality or that I'd had an eating disorder which I was just managing to overcome. It didn't change anything and it was a relief to know that.

The questions sound like a good way to bring up the issues. If you can write it down and give it to him, that would be a massive achievement.

10. echlolie

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'll put in a physical opinion. your weight is exactly right for your height, and so you're not in any danger of being too underweight but you certainly shouldn't look at all fat or overweight. you are really ideal for your height and probably have a really stunning figure.

however it can be hard to see that, i know for myself, so if losing weight will make you feel better about yourself there is nothing wrong with that. you just need to do it in a healthy way. make sure you drink plenty of water and eat fruit and veg instead of biscuits etc. have slightly smaller portions at meal times and cut out snacking if you can. but nothing more extreme than this or you will feel ill!

you need to take care of your body or you will regret it in the long run, and hopefully this way you can also come to love your body as well. it won't harm your body if you do lose and few kg but please don't try and lose too much because you certainly aren't overweight so too much weight loss will put you in the negative and could start to compromise your overall health. best of luck :slight_smile:

11. cava

Honey, an eating disorder has nothing to do with your height or weight. It's about your relationship with your body and your relationship with food. If you feel afraid to eat because you don't want to gain weight, or if you carefully count calories to make sure that you're working out enough to "cancel out" any food you're eating, you likely have an eating disorder. You need to seek help. Even if you feel you can't talk to your therapist about it, talk to a friend. Someone who will be able to help you stay physically healthy (make sure you eat enough, exercise well but not excessively, etc.) while you rebuild your relationship with yourself. It is difficult, but you can do it.