1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I get the HPV vaccine? (26 m)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by yidnah87, Apr 14, 2014.

1. yidnah87

I recently saw my doctor for my annual physical. I came out to him about being sexually active with men and he recommended some immunizations for vaccines, including HPV. I told him I would think about it and he wrote me a prescription anyway. I have some concerns about getting it though:

-It costs $500-$600 for the three doses. It looks like my insurance would cover little to none of it. I don't have a money tree in my backyard.
    -Many people seem to have side effects from this vaccine, more so than other vaccines
    -The vaccine is recommended thru age 26. I'm at the upper end of this range and will turn 27 soon.

I do have a lot of casual sex with men and am usually the bottom. I do use condoms and get tested for other STD's, and test negative for them.

Thoughts?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow. This blows me away. How $500 dollars? I was able to get mine for like $60. That was also including a vaccination for Hepatitis A and B? Basically, HPV/H-A/H-B are recommended for gay male health...

If it's that much, maybe not, and since you use safer sex practices, you mitigate your risk substantially. But that blows me away... How $500?

3. yidnah87

I'll have to check my insurance plan again. It appears that a lot of plans are covering it now. Still concerned about the potential side effects though.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you at elevated risk for side effects? I had no side effects for any of those vaccines.

5. I would. Gardisil helps protect against the cancer causing forms of HPV. HPV affects 3/4 of the population, so you're bound to get it at some point. Most people don't even have symptoms and you cannot test for it in males, so there is no way of knowing you have it except for warts. In some people, it goes away within 2 years (about 90 something percent) In others, it causes genital cancer and cancer in some digestive organs (rectum, colon etc.)

I don't mean to scare you, but odds are if you've had more than 4 partners, you probably have it. Condoms aren't 100% effect with HPV because of the testes and most people don't use a condom for oral sex.

It's your decision though. It won't help if you already have it though.

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a lot of money, but I would follow the advice you've been given.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gardisil is a vaccine that all young adults need to think about getting. Human Papillomavirus is a very serious thing.

8. Incognito10

You have several options. First, call your insurance company and ask if that specific vaccine is covered. I am traveling abroad and just had to call my insurance company to find out what vaccines are covered and which are not and they will simply check and give you an answer.

If you don't go through your insurance, your next option is to contact your local health department or public health center; chances are it will be given at a greatly reduced cost or even free, depending on the funding and rules of the specific clinic.

Since you're 26, you're under time pressure because the vaccine is not given to people over 26, I believe, so you might want to look into rather quickly and make a decision. Check it out and read up on it. It is relatively new and I think anyone who can get it should. There have been talks of administering it to anyone around the ages of 11-13 before sexual activity begins.

#8 Incognito10, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014