1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I just stubborn or am I justified in refusing meds for depression and anxiety?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

I am in therapy for the above which is slowly starting to help me, however the doctor has asked if I want to try the medication route as well since he thinks its very slow going.

Thing is, I don't want to take anything that will affect my mind, I don't drink alcohol anymore or coffee or any of the drugs (a mistake that I will leave in my past) so I don't fancy any of these psyche drugs that mess with my neurological chemistry.

Am I justified in this, my boyfriend says I am stubborn and should take them but idk

2. HIL91025

I am in the same boat as you.

I have had therapy which was unsuccessful, but when the doctor offered me anxiolytics (anti-anxiety) and antidepressants, I refused them. That is not to say I won't take them in the future, but at the moment I don't feel that it is necessary to be heavily medicated when these drugs don't always work. I take beta-blockers and anxiolytics for short-term basis if I have something especially nerve-racking comes up (such as a public speech).

I hope this helps.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple of questions:

-- Is your doctor (therapist and/or psychiatrist) aware of your drug use history? If you used any addictive drugs (meth/amphetamines, benzos, opiates) then you'd be at pretty high risk using antianxiety medications. SSRI antidepressants would be less likely to pose any serious risk.

-- What drugs (or classes of drugs) are being proposed?

-- How long have you been working on the issues in therapy?

4. Incognito10

I now refuse to take most psych meds due to prior abuse and unwanted side effects, so I see where you're coming from (I have severe anxiety, so I still take a benzo, but I am strict with how much I allow myself to take. It would be helpful to talk with your clinician about what meds they are considering, how they work on the brain and if there is any potential for abuse or dependency.

And congrats on moving forward, even very slowly with your progress.

#4 Incognito10, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  5. Beware Of You

They are, it was just weed, coke and once MDMA (that made me rethink it I had a bad experience)

The doc said but it went over my head, they were some form of a brandname. I remember prozac but I can't recall what he said about anxiety

4-5 months

6. Theron

I think it doesn't hurt to try medications. They need time to start working, but why should you exclude it as an option if it might make all the difference in the world?

I would be screwed with my drug cocktail. I'm trying to wean myself down, but I prefer functioning to trying to strike out alone and failing miserably. I am also, unfortunately, on one of the more addictive anti-anxiety drugs, but I've managed to stay clean from heroin for ten years, clean from OxyContin for a year, and off methadone since the beginning of February, so I think I can manage not overdoing it on Xanax.

7. PinkCammelia90

If you don't want to take any medication, then don't take any medication. It's your body, your mind, and your choice.

I've tried anti-depressants in the past and I think that might have contributed to changing my clinical depression into bipolar disorder, in all honesty. Now I take coping with it upon myself and arrange to see a counsellor when I really need to.

It works for some, it doesn't for others. You know your body better than anyone else. Although he is only looking out for you (and he's probably just worried about your health), your boyfriend should support your decision either way.

8. Wolf123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am on medication for both depression and anxiety. I have found that they don't necessarily change my mind, but rather soothes my body and mind. Before taking medication, my mind was always racing so I could never focus on one thing. I kept having bad thoughts and such. I think if you don't want to try it then don't. Everyone has their views. I have had good experiences with them and hopefully sooner than later I will be off them. Everyone is different when it comes to medication. I am for it simply because I would rather take the medicine and feel better than not and feel like my world is ending. I must add, I am also in counseling which helps me a lot too. I like the combination so it works for me.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Was the coke or weed use more than very occasional? If so, I'd probably avoid the anti-anxiety meds (unless it was an SSRI-based one) because the benzo-based anti-anxiety drugs can be addictive, particularly with people that have a previous history of chronic use/dependency.

However, there are some SSRIs that help with depression and anxiety that might be worth trying.

Also, if you've been in therapy for 4 to 5 months, you should be seeing some noticeable change in what's going on for you. If you're not, I'd strongly suggest trying a different therapist. Therapy is very individualized and no two therapists do it the same way, and a lot of therapists really suck... but you wouldn't know that unless you'd had a really good one to compare it to.

Hope that helps!

10. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WHOO
    A thread I can actually help in.

This was me when I was 16. Got really bad depression (mostly around/due to sexuality) and started seeing people... but it didn't really help so I was offered medication. I refused. To me, it felt like giving up and taking the easy way out. And, like you, I didn't want to fuck with my brain chemicals (I also don't really do social stimulants/depressants). So I went on for about 6 months like that, but it just kept getting worse to the point where I eventually felt no pleasure in life. At this point, I gave in and took the medication. A year down the track, and I think this was a good decision. I no longer need them, and they helped me a lot to get through my last years of highschool. HOWEVER, I had some side effects from them (another reason I initially refused) which have remained even after stopping the medication (although this is very rare to happen, so it probably wouldn't happen to you). I don't really want to go into the details of the side effects here.

Anyway, in sum, I think that as long as the depression/anxiety isn't too bad, that you can still be happy some of the time/gain pleasure and are improving without medication, then you do not need to and shouldn't take them. However, if it gets to the point like I described earlier, it might be necessary. So no, you're not being stubborn as long as you believe you can get better without them.

I wish you all the best of luck. :slight_smile:

11. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anxiety drugs can help you see things more clearly. If you are always in panic - like I used to be, some months ago - you probably can't think calmly what is the deeper cause of your anxiety. Panic and anxiety affect your way of thinking more than drugs. Maybe you can take them for a small period, just to use them as a tool to ease the symptoms while you try to cope with the inner cause of your problems, not to rely on them permanently.
    I speak from personal experience, as I went through a phase with constant anxiety, depression, severe panic attacks, bad bad bad ocd... It lasted a month and it sucked. I still have anxiety issues and agoraphobia, but they are not too bad, I'm fine and happy most of the time. :slight_smile: Well, my therapist said that I should find what truly bothers me, because anxiety for me was a way to invent phobias to avoid thinking about the actual problem. Anti-anxiety medicine helped me relax and have a more clear mind. When I started to cope with the real problems, I stopped taking it, I no longer needed it.

12. ema228

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's all your decision on what you want to do. There wouldn't be too much harm in trying out the medication and just stop it if it doesn't feel right to you. Don't make your decisions based off of what your boyfriend thinks. Maybe if therapy doesn't help much, medication might be the best way to go, if you just don't feel that it is right for you then don't do it

13. MisterScruff

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "The doc said but it went over my head, they were some form of a brandname. I remember prozac but I can't recall what he said about anxiety"

Fluoxetine? That's what I take for depression. I really don't like who I am without taking it. I take that, basically Prozac, and Lamictal I think is what its called. I am diagnosed bi-polar, and I hate the constant fluctuation in moods without medicine. My alcoholism used to triple the issues. I would say give medicine a try for about 3 months, and if you notice a level-ness or positive change in your mood keep taking them! There's no shame in medicating! You're not alone. (&&&)

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's up to you but they have helped me. You are
    not stubborn.

15. Foxface

Well ultimately it is your choice. I would stay away from any benzodiazepine but things like Prozac/Zoloft and the like can make a big difference. I am on Zoloft and Zyprexa and I have to say my life is so much better now

I like you have an abuse history (Vicodin and Valium for me) so I refused to take Xanax and Ativan

The thing about psychotropics is it can take time to find the right one. Took me quite some time to find Zyprexa and longer to find Zoloft but like I said it's amazing the difference they have made with no side effects for me

but everyone is different

you have to make that choice

But yes if they say Ativan or Xanax I would stay clear of those

16. GlassFae

Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with this entirely. It's completely your choice about whether or not you take medication, and it also sounds like you have some pretty good reasons for not wanting to take medication, as is. It might work, it might make you worse, it might do nothing. And especially if therapy is helping, even if it is slow, I don't see any reason why you should be pressured into taking meds.

17. Beware Of You

Yeah it was occasional, the weed was at tops once every couple of weeks, the coke was only when I was out at parties and the like, literally once every other month at tops! I wasn't a coke addict

18. Meds are a temporary fix. I want a permanent solution, which is why I don't take meds.

19. BelleFromHell

I'm bipolar, and I have little-to-no interest in taking meds, so it'd be hypocritical for me to say you have to take them.
    I think you should research all the meds your doctor wants you on before you decide to take anything.

There are also natural supplements you can take.
    I use valerian root to help with insomnia and anxiety. You can buy it pretty much anywhere vitamins are sold, and it's fairly cheap.

Some people use marijuana to treat mental illness, but it can be very risky, and you certainly don't want to get addicted. You should do plenty of research on it and your specific situation before you decide to take it, and, of course, if it's illegal where you live, DON'T risk it.

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2014 at 08:03 AM ----------

If you've been addicted to weed before, I'd disregard the marijuana recommendation.

If it was really just once every couple of weeks, I guess it'd be OK.
    However, you should STILL do plenty of research on your situation.