1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Medication to lower estrogen levels

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Boban, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Boban

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have heard that it's possible to take medication in order to lower estrogen levels in a homosexual male, eventually turning the man heterosexual. Is there any truth in this, or have I been mis-lead?

2. Yosia

I dont think estrogen effects sexuality at all so i think you might be mislead >.<

3. Boban

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Maybe.

Apparently testosterone and estrogen levels can be balanced, thus turning someone straight.

Now I don't agree with this, and I have no desire in taking such medication (if such medication exists). I just found the idea odd, and kind of unnatural.

4. Yosia

im not one to talk about how hormones are unnatural because hopefully I will take them soon to become a girl but I understand what you mean ^.^

I think its nonsense because if hormones do change sexuality then surely all gay men would be really effeminate and all gay girls would be butch :3

5. apostrophied

Well, if you genuinely have an imbalance, they can probably fix that. But I doubt they'd give that to someone to change their sexual orientation. Pretty sure the risks would outweigh the benefits.

6. Corwin

There is something called estrogen dominance, which can affect men as well as women. And while it can cause a number of problems for men including low sex drive and prostate problems, I've never heard of it being linked with homosexuality.

Dr. John Lee was one of the pioneers in this area. While he worked primarily with women, he did also work with men and wrote a book about hormone balance in men. He had great success with using topical progesterone cream to improve the balance. While this can currently be obtained over the counter, as with any hormone treatment, it is important to have tests to monitor hormone levels. This is frequently done with a simple saliva test. The key is that things need to be in balance - and getting out of balance can cause serious problems.

But I really doubt it would have any effect on sexual orientation. And while there is certainly the effeminate gay male stereotype, I don't think that's true for the majority of gay men. And I don't think there's any credible evidence that gay men are lacking in testosterone. or have a surplus of estrogen.

in any event, if you or anyone thinks they might have a problem with hormonal balance, you should consult a medical practitioner to find out for sure.

7. Boban

Out Status:
    Not out at all
  8. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. It's propaganda. There is some evidence to suggest that gender is effected en utero by androgen levels but as far as I know, sex hormones have no impact on sexual orientation.

9. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexuality doesn't work that way; and trust me if you had enough estrogen in you well.... you'd have boobs like I do.

Being gay doesn't make you less of a man, being feminine doesn't make you any less of a man, being masculine doesn't make you more of a man.