1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athletisism, extroversion and homosexuality.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BadCanadaJoke, Apr 21, 2014.

?

Which of those best describes you?

1. I work out and I am an introvert

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. I work out and I am an extrovert

14 vote(s)
    18.4%
  3. I rarely work out and I'm an introvert

40 vote(s)
    52.6%
  4. I rarely work out and I'm an extrovert

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. BadCanadaJoke

In would just like to talk about some aspects that relate working out and each individual's driving force..!

How many of you here work out regularly, do sports or jog?

Do you consider yourselves to be extroverted or introverted?

Regardless of which one you consider yourselves to be, what is your motivation to work out and why did you start in the first place??

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need to start working out because I'm out of shape and have been stress-eating chocolate like nobody's business recently. That and to attract other guys.

And holy hell am I an introvert!

3. Jethro702

Currently... I do not really exercise. I really need to, Ugh.... motivation to get off my butt is hard to find lol :lol:

.... and yes I'm an introvert.

4. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I need to work out cause of health problems.
    I'm an introvert. But sometimes I can mutate to an extrovert:grin:

5. Kabuki

I don't work out, although I'm skinny, but I've been meaning to because of health and to appear more healthy.
    I'm an introvert, not by choice(bullying's results) but I can be rather extrovert when I'm around people that doesn't make me feel anxious.

6. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work out regularly, both cardio and anaerobic, and I'm pretty extroverted nowadays.

I'm motivated to work out by a variety of things:
    - I belong to multiple exercise groups, and I have a responsibility to keep up with them.
    - I am pursuing a career in firefighting, and I have a responsibility to the public to be as fit as possible.
    - I like looking good for my boyfriend.
    - I like feeling and looking healthy.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Why'd you make the results of this poll hidden?

Anyway, I am the complete opposite of athletic. I'm really bad at athletic things, and I simply HATE HATE HATE sports. All of them. I used to dread high school gym class, the day before and all during the day before PE happened I would be gripped with fear and panic, and after it was over I would breathe a sigh of relief- although I could barely catch a breath and was often nauseated after being forced to play sports.

I don't know if that makes me a stereotypical gay guy or whatever, but I don't care, I despise sports, I hate playing them, I'd rather watch paint dry than watch whatever "the game" is on TV that straight men obsess over. I hate the fact that our society values sports and athletics over intelligence and intellectual ability. Complete morons get full scholarships to colleges just because they can throw a damn ball, while intelligent people who actually have the potential to make the world a better place get nothing. "Professional" athletes playing a children's game make millions of dollars, while people with advanced PhDs who contribute to the fields of science, technology, medicine, art, history, philosophy, psychology, language, music, etc. make pennies. Social workers who help the members of our society most in need live in poverty while fucking idiots who throw footballs are millionaires. It pisses me off. But alright, enough, that's my sports rant. Fuck sports. :***:

As for working out, I used to go to the gym like every day, cardio and the weight machines, I had just started to move on to free weight lifting, but somewhere along the way I lost motivation and stopped going. I was hoping exercise would get endorphins going and help with my depression and anxiety, but it didn't. I did get somewhat muscular then though.

However nowadays, I'm as skinny and petite as could be, I'm like 5'6 and 3/4, 110lbs, I have like no muscles, I'm a weakling. But whatever. Athletics just isn't my bag.

As for introversion vs extroversion...that's a bit complicated. I mean ask anyone I've been around for the past 23 years, and they'll say I am an introvert for sure, I'm the shyest person they've ever met. And I am introverted. But a big reason why I became so introverted has been my severe social anxiety. I really don't like being alone with my thoughts all the time, I think may be an extrovert buried deep beneath my social anxiety that has forced me to look inward all the time and never have social interactions that I actually crave.

8. Sal

Sal Guest

I am an introvert, and I do work out regularly. Jogging through the woods and doing chores around the farm. Thank counts right? Whatever, it burns calories and tires me out.

It's not that I want to or enjoy doing it, but I have to. Doctors are worried about my lungs and believe increased excessive will help. Personally I can't tell a difference, but whatever they think is right. And my grandfather threatens to have the internet turned off if i don't help him outside. So my lungs and continued access to the internet are my motivators.

9. Ridiculous

I usually do at least an hour of exercise every week day, and I am definitely an introvert.

10. Jethro702

Nice list of motivations... too bad only the last applies to me :roflmao:

It'd be cool to find a group to exercise with.. though I'd probably be uncomfortable at first lol. As for a boyfriend.... I can dream atm and lol My father is a firefighter and brother is going to be going to recruit school soon to be one! :grin:

11. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm no good at sports.
    I love sports. But I'm too unhealthy to do very well.
    I need to start working out, but I can't seem to get myself to move.
    By the way, I'm neither introverted nor extroverted. I'm an ambivert.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work out regularly and play football (or soccer to Americans) at least once a week on Sundays. I used to play basketball too, but fell out of the habit - which is a shame, because it's my favourite sport to play (but dreadfully boring to watch on TV).

I consider myself an ambivert more than anything, but I'm probably closer to being an extrovert.

My motivation? Partly for health reasons, and partly for vanity. I want to feel good, and I want to look good.

#12 imnotreallysure, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  13. BadCanadaJoke

One, I thought the results become known after you vote..

Two, what you describe is totally 'a thing'. According to Susan Cain an extroverted person can turn to himself in fear of social disapproval. Do you still need a lot of social interaction though? That's how an extrovert would "recharge their batteries"...!

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2014 at 10:42 AM ----------

When did you first start working out?

14. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was wondering the same thing as Rakkaus, haha. I'm not sure, but maybe if you (BadCanadaJoke) report the main post and ask for the poll to be made public, an Admin/Mod can help you out. I'm not sure if it's possible though.

Aye, exercise groups are an amazing motivator. The bigger they are, the better. When there's more people doing it, it's easier for people to join in

The group I meet with has 300-400 people every weekday at 6am and 6pm, but most aren't going to be that big.
    But yes - if you can, get into one. I'd suggest doing it with a group of friends, but you can sort of blow off working out if you're comfortable with the people you're doing it with. If you're doing it with strangers, you'll feel more obligated to be there.

I started meeting with the aforementioned group of people when I was 7-years old, so it's become a habit for me. I've always been relatively athletic. Not stunningly, but more than the average person.
    It helped to start young, I think.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I work out, not regularly but I enjoy exercise specifically long bike rides. And I'd call myself an introvert but

this describes me great as well

16. BadCanadaJoke

To TJ
    Well, TJ, this is what I have been thinking for some time now...
    I was wondering why it is so difficult for me to start working out. And for so many other people,too.
    For you it's probably your regular way of life by now, but I have never worked out in the past. It was never a habit of mine. It was never a part of my life, you see.
    So I'm really interested to know how many of the people who work out started early; and for the people who started later, what motivated them. Was it pressure from society? If it's not something you do, why start? You see my point?

And what's harder is to find the motivation, something that will force you to start, and keep you doing it until it becomes a habit(from which point I hear it's easier).

Also, what interests me is to see not only when people started working out, but also if they are extroverted (meaning they enjoy and need social interaction). I'm a curmudgeon-y introvert so social stuff could never motivate me...

#16 BadCanadaJoke, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  17. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started out early because my mom went to the workout group. I continued working out because I liked being around such a huge group of people at 6 in the morning. I continue working out with the group now because I'm one of the facilitators.

As for the people who didn't make it a habit when they were younger -
    Aye, I agree with you. There has to be something that motivated them to pick up exercising later in life.
    Sure, there are probably a few that decided they wanted to try running and found they liked it, but for the majority, I think there has to be a motivator.
    Things I can think of: Their significant other getting them into it, their doctor telling them they need to, social pressure to do it, friends doing it, the desire to look fitter, research coming out nowadays showing the links between exercise and long-term health.

My boyfriend, in my opinion, is an excellent example.
    He said to me once, "Before I met you TJ, I was a mile-a-year person," because the only time he ran was when he did the mile run for Phys. Ed.
    And he only started exercising within the last 8 months.
    So until he was 16-years old, he really didn't exercise at all. He knew he should, but there was no motivation until I really started pushing him to do it.
    At the same time, our relationship became more serious, so I think he wanted to look better for me.

As far as extroversion and athleticism go - I don't really see a link.
    I work out with hundreds of people and I see thousands do it every year, and plenty of them are introverts. Even the folks that come to the workout group - they don't have to talk. They show up, do the workout, and go home.
    Exercising produces those good endorphins that make you happier and relieve stress, so maybe that could make people seem more sociable when they frequently work out.

18. BadCanadaJoke

You're right. Even from all the people I know who work out and do sports, all of them started out as kids. I am now,too, looking for a reason to work out. Vanity is not it for me. I really don't care how I look. Others seem to care how I look, because they keep telling me how skinny I am, but it's not something that bothers me.

The health issue is something that I do take seriously. Not for longevity but more for short term benefits :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Like being able to lift something heavy when asked to or run up the stairs with no problem, which can be tricky if you're not fit. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Also, you're right about boyfriends. You boyfriend IS a good example. Personally, I wouldn't want someone to settle for me(physique-wise) even if they like my personality. So that's a point/ motive, too.

And except from health trainers etc I don't know any other people who started out later.. At my age for example. I'd like to know how they did it....!

---------- Post added 22nd Apr 2014 at 12:35 PM ----------

As for extroversion/introversion... I'm not sure there's a link either. But It would be interesting if we found something, even something small. Already, you see there are no extroverts saying they're not working out. Maybe there could be a small link.
    Who knows...?!

19. Trentacles

Yeah I've been swimming since I was 6 or 7 so I started young. I joined a water polo club last year since a couple of my mates pressured me to join. I like swimming much better though. I'm somewhat introverted since I tend to be quiet unless I have something to say. Otherwise I just observe until I do. I'm not afraid of social settings though.

As for legitimate working out I don't really go to a gym to lift weights. My brother got me started on p90x last month ( I don't follow the diet part at all) since he wanted someone to do it with and I've enjoyed doing that, though between that and swimming I'm constantly very tired.

I didn't really have any motivation to start. My practices used to be after school and my mum needed something to keep me busy while she was still at work. She initially tried to get me to play football like my brother and I hated it.

20. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I try to do some cardio exercise + calisthenics every other day, but I think I need to increase my effort now and maybe go for daily. I don't see myself as introvert or extrovert, more neutral.

I exercise more now than I used to as I gain weight more easily and there is a bad history of premature death from heart disease and cancer within my family. I also regularly see the link between poor physical health and poor mental health and that could have some bearing on the extrovert/introvert aspects of our personality (but it's a bit more complex really). Anyway, as someone who talks publicly about these issues, I'd look rather foolish going in there excessively overweight and unhealthy myself - so that's my other motivation.