1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to be neither a top or bottom?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by NashUK, Apr 21, 2014.

1. NashUK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes I get asked if I am a top or bottom and I say neither.

I have tried being a top, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

I was just wondering if it is normal to be neither.

2. LD579

Normal is a relative term. At any rate, there are people who don't enjoy either which is perfectly fine and not so uncommon. =]

3. BelleFromHell

I certainly hope so! I don't think I'm a top or bottom, either.
    I guess you could say I'm a "reba."

4. AKTodd

If you enjoy anal sex, but are fine with taking either the top or bottom role, then you would be considered 'versatile'. There are varying degrees of versatility, but that's the common term for it.

If you don't enjoy anal sex, either topping or bottoming then you're just not into anal sex. I'm not aware of any particular 'formal' term for this, but if you're comfortable saying 'neither' seems perfectly fine to me:slight_smile:

As far as whether or not this is 'normal'. From what I've seen here on EC, around 25-30 percent of gay guys aren't into anal to one degree or another (my very unscientific unprofessional estimate based on what I've seen). Even among guys who are into it, most aren't going to be so committed to it that they will throw you out of bed over the matter. Most will just shrug and move on to doing something else. Plenty of fun things to do with each other after all:slight_smile:

Hope this helps,

Todd

5. Theron

Actually, some gay men are not into any sort of penetrative sex, topping or bottoming, but instead prefer hand jobs and frot, and may possibly perform oral sex now and then. It's considered an "equality" thing by some people.

6. Iowan1976

I think it is okay to be whatever you want to be. I would say I am neither a top nor a bottom.