1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxing in LBTG?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Rumpletubb, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Rumpletubb

Ofcourse, I made a typo in the threads headline. Super. I meant HBTQ, or LHBTQ, which I sometimes hear in Sweden. Probaly HBTQ.
    I don't want to offend anyone, so sorry xD
    Good day to you all.
    I've been reading stuff on this site for a while and when it's training involved I've never seen boxing mentioned.

So I wonder, are there any other boxers or at least boxing fans out there?

If there is; for how long have you practiced, why do you enjoy it (as bystander or practitioner) and most important of all, do your boxing buddies know and what are the reactions?
    Also, if you want to but doesn't dare, tell me why! And if you don't want to, go ahead. :icon_bigg

I started at 17 because it seemed like a lot of fun. I've never been the aggressive type but I enjoy a good struggle and now I thrive in the ring. Love the pure feeling of man against man without anger and only fun and determination. I also love the technique which it takes to get skilled.

I never came out to the club, because I don't feel like it's important and don't want any unnecessary negativity. Plus, some people in the sport aren't as accepting as in other sports or clubs.

So, if there is any other, tell me your experiences!

#1 Rumpletubb, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  2. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hiya, I don't do boxing (although I enjoy watching the sport) but I've been doing martial arts for 23 years. I'm the same in that I love a good fight. We aren't the type of martial artists that do the tap and score type either. We like to kick the crap out of each other. I myself have had broken nose twice, 2 broken fingers and fractured metatarsal.

I wouldn't give it up for the world. No one at my club knows I'm bi and like you said, it's not important. Not that I'd care if they found out. If there were any issues, we would probably settle them on the mat and then have a laugh about it after.

It's funny really, as I'm not the same person when I'm training with my buddies. I, so much more easy going outside the dojo.

Happy days :slight_smile:

3. Rumpletubb

I can totally relate. I'm nit the same in the ring it in the gym.
    Much more serious and as intimidating as my 205 pounds let me be.

I've shatrered my nose (didn't bleed, wierd!) fractured wrists and thumbs and damaged ribs. It's, in a wierd way, fun!

I've had to stop since I damaged my elbow quite severely, and now ny economy and studies hinder me from getting back. Sucks a lot to be honest.

What martial arts do you practice?

#3 Rumpletubb, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  4. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do I box?

Is the pope a catholic?

I've been boxing for about three years now, although I've recently had to take a break due to a torn rotator cuff. There is a professional boxer (Willie Monroe Jr.) in my area that occasionally trains in the same gym as me. He usually trains in a gym about an hour away from where I'm located though. We share the same trainer.

No, nobody knows I'm bisexual, but nobody down at the gym would care. I'm in a pretty LGBT friendly (well, about as friendly as it ever is) area. If anyone ever found out and had a problem, they'd be more than welcome to step in the ring with me.

I've fractured a few of my knuckles and gotten a concussion once, but I've never been hurt bad.

Started boxing because as a geeky, short, slightly overweight, wheezy kid, I got tired of being the preferred target for bullying.

5. Rumpletubb

Thats awesome! We have one proffessional boxer (not a common thing in Sweden) who had four wins and one loss (decision) and Sweden's best female boxer, who is in the world ranking.

What weightclass are you in?

I was a scrawny semi-emo kid at 145 pounds when I started, got in a lot of smaller fights due to being openly bi. I guess that had a part in why I started.

6. Querying

I'm no boxer, but I've deigned to comment as I'm not sure what you meant by LBTG being offensive. I mean, it's differently ordered that it usually is (LGBT or LGBTQ) but I've never even heard of HBTQ. Is that a substitution of homosexual for gay?

If so, I'd recommend sticking to gay. I had a thread about this a while back, and with over 50 respondents, an overwhelming majority of them preferred the label gay; some of them even find the term 'homosexual' offensive.

7. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a pretty small guy, actually. I only weigh 135 lbs. Granted, I suppose that's not bad for being 5' 4.5" tall, but I'd like to put on a little more muscle and try to get up to at least 140. A lot better than I was last summer though. Same height but only weighing 117 lbs! (Skinny little shit, lol.)