1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toning up... Without the use of a gym, possible or not?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gazza123, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hey guys
    Looking for advice or at least pointed in the right direction. Now I'm not one for the gym, it's just too much for me to deal with. I know everyone must have started somewhere but I'm just really self conscious.

Anyways my real question is the topic of this thread. Now I know I'm not gonna be muscly guy, I don't wanna be. But toned and slimmer... I guess a bit definition is what I want but I'm kinda at a loose end as to what exercises to do at home to achieve this or even if it's possible.

I'm not entirely body confident and would like to be. I know some of you may think I'm crazy judging from my picture or I might just fooling myself.

Anyways, advice please

2. Clay

Of course. You could just buy weights/a bench and work out from home.

3. ProtegeMoi

I'm not sure of your current body type but I am between 6'3 and 6'4 and only weigh about 180 at the moment. I have worked out with heavy weights in the past and drank weight gainer/proteinn shakes and bulked up to 195. I got really strong but I didn't do a cutting phase and had some definition.

This time around I am more concerned with what I eat and how good I sleep and am sticking to body weight exercises. Push ups, pull ups, squats, lunges, ab work, burpees. Calf raises too.
    There is a program that is called the 100 push up challenge that takes about 7 weeks. I've been using that program but with all of my exercises and in the 3 weeks I've started I went from doing about 12 pushups to doing 30 fairly easily.

For me along toned arms, and chest nice calves, (I've always haf a flat stomach so not an issue) and a firm butt that looks good in my skinny jeans is what matters

4. Trentacles

It likely depends on how much effort you're willing to invest.

5. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I know you can't spot reduce which is why I asked for over all exercises but stomach is one area where I struggle and one area where I would prefer a bit definition. I try eat well and eat a lot better than I used to but still I can't tone up this area.

I'll search up that push up thing.

It's just there's so many exercises that I don't know which ones to incorporate into a work routine.

6. ProtegeMoi

There are a zillion exercises, but usually its just about being consistent and not giving up on your hard work a month or two in. That has always been my problem. If you start out slow and are patient then everything seems to help. When we get into instant gratification mode we burn out and start skipping workouts or cheating meals or drink too much and essentially sabotage and waste all the previous hard work.

I'm really excited that you're taking an interest in your health and if you need someone to help motivate you you can message me. I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you and I'm curious if ill see it through or if ill give up before summer.

7. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I guess that's where tend to fall as well. I was doing well before, I think but then things got in the way and then I started to slip, not bothering to exercise one day, not bothering to do this or that to the point that I've sunk bedeck into my usual less active self. I mean I only workout at home. I uses to a bit cardio and weight stuff but I just couldn't maintain it. I mean is there a certain length of time i can put down where I will start noticing a differences. Id prefer to have a set date/goal

8. ProtegeMoi

From what Ive read 3 months of consistency will have major results. If you need motivation I know some people that take a photo each morning as part of their toothbrushing routine because you won't leave the house without brushing and if you take a photo then you can compare on the meantime. In 3 weeks I can tell my chest, shoulders and arms are a little bigger (or I'm using visualization techniques to picture the gains) either way it helps me feel good.

If you're like me I dread summer. So my personal goal is mid july and hoping ill have the confidence to go swimming around people and that sort of thing.

9. Plushieluver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello, lovely person in need :slight_smile: Yes, you definitely can! You can do very simple things, like going on a walk more often but, like try and speed walk it or just go farther. You could cycle somewhere, go and hang out with your friends with a lot of walking involved. Go find a place to have some fun, like an adventure park. Go swimming. It could go on.

So, lot's of things! Go and have fun, and you'll tone up with it! :slight_smile:

10. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I suppose it's a good goal... I'll try stick. I'm gonna look up some exercises that I can do. Get some planning into this... I work better with a plan

11. Yosia

swimming is really good for both burning fat and toning ^.^

12. Plushieluver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Definitely but I can't do that anymore because I am hypersensitive to chlorine! :frowning2: It makes me sneeze, then my eyes start watering, then I lose my voice and for the whole week, I end up having a really bad throat. It's all inflamed from the chlorine, which affects my voice. It's so annoying because it lasts for so long, and I can sometimes not even talk at all, let alone sing, which is what I do at least once in the day because it calms me down but ya can't sing with an inflamed throat :frowning2:

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Body weight exercises are all I do and while I'm not a ripped Greek god, I look half decent. The gym is only if you want to get a much higher level of fitness IMO; for others it just makes working out easier or is totally unnecessary.

14. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah - definitely possible. Do pushups, crunches and other exercises that require no equipment.

15. me123

Body weight exercises are always good. There is also something called the... 'inmate workout?' im not sure if that name is right. but it is meant for a small space and no equipment.

on another note: although you may feel self conscious at the gym..its important to realize that nobody really pays attention to what other people are doing there. find a friend who can show you a few things to create a routine, and i promise nobody is going to judge.

16. themoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dumbbells are a good way to start. Get a set of good Cast Iron Dumbbells from online - there is one set that costs in the region of £25 or so that comes in a good case and has a poster with loads of different exercises you can try. I find that I struggle to motivate myself to use my weights at home however - much easier to go to a gym and then force yourself to work out there.

Depending on your body composition, you may need to do a bit of cardio to burn the fat before you build the muscle, but that's difficult to advise over the internet. Some gyms will have a machine that measures body fat (looks like a metal plate with 2 handles a screen). Anything below 10% and you'll usually start seeing your abs. They'll usually let you use this for free, so you could try and get a reading then do your own home workouts based on this advice.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

17. Trentacles

Did you like what you were doing before? If not what didn't you like about it? It's important to find things you enjoy doing.

18. Rumpletubb

If you want to use your own bodyweight, try checking up on military exercises and workout programs. should be tons if them on the internet.

The best way to get toned abs is losing weight and regular and tough workouts. Try reaching the inner muscles and the side aswell.
    As a boxer, my best muscles are the abdominal ones. It takes time, determination and a little bit of pain :wink:

19. Calix

If it's your stomach you wanna concentrate, just simple cardio will work. Stick in your headphones and run/bike about 10/15 mins a day. In a few weeks time you should notice a difference.

Also if you live close enough to work/school - I highly suggest biking.