1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Runners, please help me :(

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pret Allez, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    About six weeks ago, out of the blue, I came down with a fairly bad case of patellofemoral stress syndrome on the left knee. I didn't make any particular changes. No sudden increases in mileage. I guess I got less consistent and took a week and a half off, but I don't think that should have caused PFSS returning to the mileage I was at.

My schedule before injury was basically (in miles by day) 5-off-5-off-off-12-off. (PR was 13.75 about three months ago).

I have been icing 4-5 times a day on the weekend, and 2-3 times a day on weeknights. I have a doctor appointment scheduled for Wednesday. I'm beginning to panic, because I don't want to be out of commission for running this summer, and I want to be able to run a marathon later this summer. (I know June is right out, given my injury and where my current long run mileage is at.)

Has anybody had this? Is there something I need to be doing differently?

2. Theron

Getting lazy there, you! No, I kid.

You need exercises to strengthen your quadriceps since those are the muscles that support your knee. Make sure you are doing thorough ACTIVE stretching, meaning stretching while moving, not just propping your leg up to stretch it. You can refer to a physical therapist for a proper set of exercises designed for the current state of your condition because without having seem it I am uncomfortable about giving you any specific exercises.

However, if this is new, you need to rest it and do non-impact exercises for a while, like walking on an elliptical. Ice after activity is necessary and don't shy away from anti-inflammatory pain killers if you need them.

You can also tape or brace your knee. I have to wear a knee brace when I run to support one of my knees because I have a flat foot from a broken foot I had as a teen.

And proper footwear is critical! Arch support if you need it (I have custom orthotics, especially for the broken foot that was never set), and change your shoes OFTEN! I go through a pair of shoes every 500 miles or so.