1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry mouth

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TraceElement, May 4, 2014.

1. TraceElement

So my psychiatrist upped my Seroquel dose, and higher doses gives me bad dry mouth. Any suggestions on how to deal or have remedies? Thanks!

2. KnownSecret

Make sure you are fully hydrated, it's a possibility that the Seroquel is causing some dehydration, but if that's not that case they have mouthwash specifically made to help with dry mouth. I have used some before and it helped a bit (doesn't last throughout the night if you need it for that but if your mouth is only dry during the day this will be good). It's called Biotene Dry Mouth Oral Rinse. You should be able to find it in the toothpaste isle at the store near the mouthwashes. Pretty sure Wallgreens would sell it. Hope that the mouthwash can help, if it doesn't and your mouth is dry during the day try sucking on a lozenge or any hard candy to get your saliva flowing. Not only do they have mouthwash for dry mouth they also have oral sprays, look up on google artifical saliva substitutes. Make sure that you try anything to moisten your mouth because having an overly dry mouth for to long can cause gum disease, tooth decay, and you are at a greater risk of infection.

Good luck! Hope you can fix your dry mouth I know that it can be super annoying and uncomfortable!

3. TraceElement

I'll have to check out the biotine! I didn't know they made a dry mouth spray. Thanks!

4. KTaylor2013

I have something called Sjogren's syndrome and this is one of my symptoms. I'm not a doctor but I have lots of advice.

1. My favorite is to just keep water near me. You'll pee a lot but at least you won't be dehydrated.

2. At night I like to use a product called XyliMelts. They have xylitol in them which is what your dentist will tell you to use. I prefer the mint flavor. They stick to your mouth so you won't choke/ drop them/ whatever other horrible scenario you can come up with. They can be slightly expensive but I get them on Amazon and they're not too bad. The adhesive tastes pretty bad but I'm usually asleep so I've only tasted it a few times.

3. Avoid excessive sugar and salt.

4. Use a humidifier, especially at night

5. Biotene is not my favorite brand. They make a lot of products but the only one I like is the mouth spray.

6. If you can get to a dentist they might prescribe a high fluoride toothpaste. This cuts down on those pesky side-effects

7. Chew gum. Not a great option but just make sure you get sugar-free, preferably with that xylitol I told you about.

Hope this helps! Let me know what worked for you!