1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exercise tips?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Chess, May 5, 2014.

1. Chess

Chess Guest

Well, I'm overweight. I have to admit that. And now I really, really want to slim down. I never cared much before but if I'm going to be a girl from now on I'll be damned if I'm not a decent looking one.

...so Anyway. I've been trying to cut back on consumption (though with fattening snacks always available this is difficult) and while it's helped a bit it's becoming obvious that it's not enough, and if I really want to lose it I need to get more exercise in.

Now, I apologize in advance if I say something stupid now, exercise is kind of a new concept for me <_< and I'm not very knowledgeable about it.

Anyway I want to know WHAT exercises I need to be doing. Specifically, I want to slim down without bulking up, you know what I mean? At least not everywhere. I'm okay if I add some volume to my legs or butt <3 Basically what I want is a routine that will hopefully give me a more feminine figure, if this is possible? If not ignore me and my uninformed daydreams.

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Power walking is a great first step as it burns calories without adding muscle.

3. Ravi-VIXX777

Best exercise, just start running.

I suggest a treadmill or elliptical at the gym because they're built with less foot impact so it won't hurt/give you shin splints. Run for 30 to and hour a day, three to 5 times a week. You will get best results from interval training which is walking for about a minute or two and then going as fast as you can for a short period of a minute.

You will lose weight if you consume less than what your body naturally burns a day (walking, sleeping, cleaning). So a pound is 3,500 calories. You should aim to eat 500 to 1000 less calories depending on your weight and how much you naturally burn calories a day. Fill out an online Caloric expenditure to find out how much you naturally spend calories. Subtract anywhere from 500-1000 a day. This does NOT mean starving yourself, won't work trust me. You should aim for losing 1 to 2 pounds a week by eating 500-1000 less a day with burning 400-600 calories you do from running a day(that's for 30-60 minutes).

4. Ridiculous

Anything that raises your heartrate enough to make you be slightly short of breath, but not enough to make it difficult to breath properly, is good cardio. The beauty of using this as the metric is that it will account for different levels of fitness - good exercise doesn't mean the same for everyone so you need to go at the right intensity for you. Your heartrate and breathing is the easiest way to find out what is right.

Whatever you end up doing, about 30 minutes a day is what is usually recommended.

Reducing 1000 kilocalories (~4200 kilojoules) from your diet is likely going to be too much, unless you are already overeating by a significant amount. The recommended average daily intake is ~8700kJ, so removing 4200kJ is likely to put you quite a bit below this. Intake reduction is very important but don't overdo it.

5. NoaWinchester

I think that running will probably fit the slim thing, for strengthening leg muscles - riding a bicycle is really good, and squats are supposed to strengthen your butt.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless you are really good at motivating yourself, find something you enjoy doing that makes you out of breath and do the hell out of it.

For me, that means martial arts twice a week...for you, who knows. All I know is it's harder to give up exercise when you actually enjoy doing it, and while running and things may be good for you, it gets boring REAL fast!